Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

@Musicmom2015 what are your other similar choices to Wake? I don’t think GW, UVA or UNC are like Wake.

Recently visited St. Lawrence University.

Pros: lovely campus, friendly and unpretentious vibe, active and huge Outing Club, not far from ADKs, solid study abroad programs, tour guide was fun and personal

Cons: located far from everything. That’s the only con I can thing of; both my daughters very much liked the school.

@homerdog @Musicmom2015 Aside from location, I found the feeling and approach of Wake similar to Lehigh, where I studied.

Rider moved down because she felt that it was too much like her high school.

@kanfly, we visited W&M, Elon, and Wake. Son decided to apply to W&M and Elon (different, yes). Wake turned out to be a no after the visit, the fit didn’t seem right (Greek, “Work Forest”, work hard play hard), and it was reachy anyway as well as W&M. W&M fit my son better with the quieter, intellectual atmosphere. He was denied from W&M and ultimately chose Elon. Elon’s a safety compared to the other schools in this message but seems to be doing a lot of great things…it went to the top two after our visit even comparing it to Wake which we went to the previous day. (Again, fit for my son is important here…I don’t think anyone will say that Elon is “better” than Wake, but it is better for my son). If you are considering visits, Wake does require interviews but they can be done over Skype…something to consider.
Incidentally GW was also of interest for a while until we drove around it…too urban even though son loved DC. American U also went off the list after the visit…we were completely unimpressed with the presentation, we had a quirky tour guide (which we can overlook), and didn’t get a sense of school spirit or camaraderie at all there. We may have just had a bum day with who we interacted with, but it was enough that son didn’t pursue it any further.

@kanfly My son is a Freshman at AU. His roommate is Jewish and very active in his faith. His parent’s were impressed with all of the activities available and the community in general. I believe that 30% of the student identify as Jewish (That’s what roomie’s mom told me and BTW she is thrilled that he found a “nice Jewish girl” -her words not mine!) As for school spirit if you are looking for a rah-rah sports school that is not AU. However they do have a lot of “spirit” when it comes to politics and political activities. As for camaraderie, my son has found wonderful friends and is on a club team. The last picture he sent us showed his fellow club members holding him up to celebrate an award he won. My son loves AU and his friends that he has made this year. PM if you have questions regarding AU.

@Riversider Was wondering if you would elaborate on your thoughts on UTD?

Not sure this is helpful, but I just commented on those things I remember today about the tours. This is our experience and our subjective opinion of course.

NORTHWESTERN: Down, but not off. Took the STEM tour but the majority of the time was spent in their maker space, which is actually utilized by a very small portion of students, and most of them from engineering. We asked during the tour “how many people have access to this space? how many actually use the space?” They admitted sheepishly, a very small percentage. When we asked about other STEM majors other than engineering, information was limited. Left us with the impression STEM majors other than engineering aren’t a priority for them. BTW for an outstanding AND accessible maker space to all majors - visit Case Western.

UVA: Moved up. Thought it was great, especially when the tour guide told us merit scholarships are available for OOS. (Unfortunately, they weren’t clear that it’s a very small/competitive group that receives these full ride scholarships and outside of that there is zero for OOS.) This was early in our tour timeline, so we weren’t as educated as we would be during the last few tours. Loved the old campus though, the traditions, the vibe - seemed like an engaged, smart community. Stayed on the list despite lack of merit.

UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND: Off the list. Beautiful campus. New buildings with towering trees - absolutely gorgeous…but no one in the family liked it. There was no warmth to it - if a campus had been designed by a plastics manufacturer with a Harry Potter theme, this is what it would look like. It just felt fake. No student posters on the walls, zero evidence of activism, nothing that reflected the students or their interests. Super clean but boring. Despite merit opportunities, it came off the list after visiting.

CASE WESTERN: Off the list. Nice walkable campus, solid study abroad opportunities, nice urbanish setting, academically a lot of flexibility, and amazing maker space open to all students - seriously, anything you can think of from high tech sewing machines to a full wood shop. Unfortunately, Case lacked a certain energy for our student. The students just didn’t seem really happy to be there and some of the representatives didn’t seem excited to be there either (music presentation was seriously depressing.) While people were generally nice and our student really liked the professors, we had several really negative interactions with an admissions officer, we’ll call her C. C was apparently above answering questions from prospective students and parents. We thought maybe it was personal until another person made the same observations. My student said it best “we could ask any one of these students for help and they would be 10 times nicer than her, and it’s not even their job to help us!” It definitely had an impact on how our student felt about the school. As parents, we were disappointed - as this one was a very good fit on paper and had a lot of potential.

WILLIAM AND MARY: Up the list. Pretty southern campus. All classes are taught by profs, no TA’s teaching. A little rough around the edges campus, for example not perfectly manicured (i.e. University of Richmond) but nice, intellectual, quirky, down to earth kids, welcoming community, nice feeling on campus. Despite lack of merit for OOS, stayed on the list, our student really liked it. Campus is a little isolated, but our student didn’t care. Student liked it more than UVA which we had visited previous to this.

GETTYSBURG: On the list in the short term, but eventually came off. Beautiful campus, neat traditions, known for good food in their cafeterias. Too small for our student and thought it lacked diversity.

GEORGE WASHINGTON: On the list in the short term, but eventually came off. Didn’t like the fact that it had two separate campuses (freshman dorms and buildings in a separate location) we didn’t think it would matter, in fact the suburban location was a nice break from the urban campus, but our student didn’t agree. Also didn’t like the fact that there wasn’t a central campus feel in the city. Upside - they seem to have a really strong honors program. We sat in the honors house and talked to students and counselors - all very nice and enthusiastic about the program. Some colleges say they have honors program, but then when one inquires - it’s clear it’s more of a marketing tool than in reality but GWU honors program seemed to build a nice community.

Our senior is done - good luck to all those still looking!

The limited merit from UVA that is probably being referred to by @STEMGirl19 is the Jefferson Scholars , from the Jefferson Scholars Foundation. Not coming from UVA itself. UVA offers primarily need based aid .

Yes, correct. The merit opportunity available to in state and OOS is the Jefferson Scholarship which is offered/granted by an independent organization.

Thank you so much for the great information. It sounds like our kids are very similar with the criteria. I have heard so many great things about Elon that I insisted that he at least visit it. They seem to be very intentional and moving up in reputation as well. My son thought GW was too urban as well. Not sure we will make it to W&M. Location wise it is not very close for us.

@STEMGirl19 Thank you for the great feedback! My son LOVED UVA! I heard it is very hard as an OOS student so we will see.

Emmanuel college. Great location but too small. University of Hartford had a stabbing during admitted students day. In addition during the presentation the admission person said you should get in your deposit right away if not today tomorrow as spaces for nursing were limited. We were happy to let someone else take our spot.

My son '20 and I visited Sacred Heart University last month and we were very favorably impressed, my expectations definitely exceeded, so I felt I needed to respond to the poster above who was so negative.

SHU is right off Merritt Pkwy exit 47, it is very easy to get to. It is on Park Avenue, which constitutes the border between Fairfield and Bridgeport; the campus is on the Fairfield side, though some buildings are across the street on the Bridgeport side.

Our tour guide was a sophomore nursing major and was very bright, pleasant and informative.

Son commented that the campus didn’t seem that big, but once you get onto it, it doesn’t feel small, there are a lot of buildings, and more being built. I think it’s accurate to characterize it as compact. It is very walkable and a manageable size. Freshmen are not allowed to have cars, and students are required to live in on campus housing for 2 years.

It was interesting, we went into a small theater for an information session, and the music piped in included 2 country songs (very unusual for an eastern college to play country music, first we’ve heard in 2 years) but they were also on son’s play list…wondered if they somehow found that out about him in some way.

Overall the campus made a very strong impression, my expectations were greatly exceeded. The buildings were generally high quality, clean and well maintained. We went into Seton Hall, a freshman dorm, visited a triple with 3 girls in it, was perfectly adequate, girls who lived there said it was fine and liked it. All dorms on campus are air conditioned (compare to none at Quinnipiac). A 2nd dorm, Bergoglio, opened in 2016, very modern, didn’t see a room, told they have 2 rooms with connecting bathroom.

SHU recently purchased an adjacent piece of real estate. They actually have 3 more dorms under construction on it in an area they are calling upper campus, will house several hundred students and have its own dining hall. One will open next year, the others in 2 years. They also have a new student athletic center which will open later this year. A new dining hall, a diner called JPs, where students are waited on, also opened in like 2016/17.

The campus appears to be surrounded by a wrought iron fence. Students download a security app and with a push of a finger you can let campus security know you need help and it gives them your location. Across the street from the campus still on the Fairfield side, is the Martire building, which only opened in 2016/17, and currently houses their business school. It was very big, spacious, clean, bright, airy feeling, didn’t see that many people in it. All business students are required to complete an internship before they graduate, so they will find you one.

We saw the West campus, the former GE corporate offices, maybe a 5 minute ride if that, 1/4 mile away…makes perfect sense for SHU to have purchased it. It includes 26 hotel rooms where GE housed visitors, that is now being used as part of their hotel mgt/hospitality program. They only acquired the buildings in 2016 and a lot of work is still ongoing…it is 550,000 square feet of space, but the space that has been converted to SHU use is very sleek, modern, bright, clean…classrooms have ceiling to floor white boards and rollerless chairs to facilitate group activities. The business program is going to be moved there within a few years. There is a dining facility there so students don’t have to return to the main campus to eat…each of the 2 bldgs. on the west campus will have their own dining facilities. We took the shuttle over to see the West campus, was only available on Wednesday tours, you just had to read their website to figure this out.

The athletic facility for the basketball team didn’t seem like it was laid out too well…it was still a nice building. We caught a brief glimpse of a student gym which seemed small, but a new one is opening in the fall…with the new dorm(s) and athletic facility opening this year, would be worth taking another look a year from now.

The school’s literature indicated a number of their sports teams and clubs play on venues away from the university…you’d expect this of sailing, crew and equestrian…mens hockey is at Webster Bank Arena, golf is at a course in Milford which SHU owns, women’s field hockey plays on the field owned by Yale in New Haven.

There was 1 main dining hall but 8 other less comprehensive dining venues on campus and the dining plan covers 130 meals plus $850, guide said they serve sushi in one of them.

The students seemed middle class, saw a few NY sports shirts/hats, lots of kids wearing SHU clothing, 1 car with thumping bass, smelled 1 person smoking, not a lot of minorities, though we did see one woman wearing a hijab teaching a course.

SHU seems to work hard at guiding the students’ transition to college, they are given 2 advisors, one of whom is a faculty member assigned to oversee your transition to college life. Also, there’s an 8 week non credit class to assist in guiding each student’s transition to college.

Overall SHU made a very strong impression. They told us they will have erected 9 new buildings in 10 years once the buildings currently under construction are completed. With the acquisition of the GE property SHU definitely appears to be a place on the move. But by opening 4 new dorms during this longterm decline in the number of 18 year olds, SHU seems to be doubling down on its bet that they can continue to enroll the numbers of students they seek. And I wonder about its debt load. But they have created a very attractive campus, with a strong positive vibe. The students we met were wonderful, SHU is definitely a contender on my son’s list.

@STEMGirl19 thanks for your summaries! Just wondering where your daughter has decided to go?

@Musicmom2015 You brought back great memories of our tour trip. We did the same swapping out GW for RIchmond (and added Duke). Funny how that certain sense you get on campus plays out. Full disclosure - S attends Wake Forest (and loves it - on your list I would compare it most to UVA, just on a smaller scale - the social, active, sports crazed feel).

His final decision in '17 was between WFU and W&M. On paper quite similar but in feel / vibe quite different. When we attended Admitted Students Day (2nd visit for both) it was so obvious (looking back). Both were beautiful days, excellent programs giving the student a chance to really explore, mix with students, etc. One thing I noticed all day was at W&M there were lots of students sitting in the Sunken Garden enjoying the weather. But they were either by themselves reading a book or with one other person just chilling. So kids that seemed to want to be by themselves. At WFU, lots of kids on the quad playing frisbee, throwing the football, sitting in large groups. I would describe the difference as serene vs. vibrant. I’m sure this is over generalized as it was one day but it kind of gave you a sense of the place.

Can’t comment on reality of W&M as S doesn’t attend, but, two years in, the vibe at WFU is virtually exactly as I described. S has a large group of friends (non greek and greek but primarily non greek). They are all very smart, active, engaged, social (not crazy but like to hang in groups / multiple groups). He texted us last night all excited that his softball team won the intramural league. Sent pictures and what stood out to me was not the team photo but the one with their fans which was as big as their team accept all women. So a large group getting together and having fun.

@Kanfly FYI - Wake is quite inclusive to all faiths and has a pretty active Hillel on campus. Although not very observant, S did go to the Passover Seder last yr (likely motivated by a female friend I’m sure). This year he went hiking with a group on the Appalachian Trail in VA instead (I told him not to wander for forty years…)

@rickle1 Need a smile button!

If you would like our impression of one or more college visits, or you would like us to contrast similar colleges, I will do so.

I toured 45+ colleges kind of by accident.
I have three kids enrolled in college this Fall 2019, so this list includes visits from one or more of my three kids.
One child plays Division I basketball, so a few of these we toured when we were traveling for high school/AAU basketball tournaments (downtime between games/flights) just to check them out, rather than a specific, planned visit.

You will see the list includes apples, oranges and bananas coupled with three different kids’ opinions, so it wouldn’t be appropriate to say which moved up or down.

45 college list (alphabetical order):
Bowdoin
Brown
U. Chicago
Claremont McKenna
Colorado
Colorado State
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Denver
Duke
Durham (England)
Harvey Mudd
Indiana
Georgetown
Georgia
Michigan
Michigan State
North Carolina
Northwestern
Notre Dame
NYU
Oregon
Oxford (England)
U Penn
Pepperdine
Pitzer
Pomona
Richmond
Santa Clara
Scripps
Stanford
Texas
UCLA
UC San Diego
USC
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Wash U St Louis
U Washington
William & Mary
Wyoming
Yale

@bloomfield88 : Thank you for offering to share your impressions.

I am interested in your impressions of the Univ. of Chicago & Northwestern University.

Also would like to read about your thoughts regarding Vanderbilt, Dartmouth College, Duke, Georgetown, Stanford, the Univ. of Washington & Yale.