Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

We visited Hobart and William Smith last summer and all of your highlights are spot on. They have a great alumni network and we felt it was an especially great school for undecided majors as they let students explore coursework in the first few years, then declare a major. My son didn’t feel it was the school for him (wants to be near a bigger city, knows exactly what he wants to study and wants to declare his major and dig in right away) but we had a lovely tour and have nothing bad to say about the school or offerings.

They recently began offering the Early Action option.

Unique, open curriculum.

https://www2.hws.edu/academics/curriculum/

4 Likes

Which school did he end up choosing?

I thought your notes on Penn and Amherst were spot on. I didn’t like the Penn campus when I first visited many years ago and thought perhaps my tastes might have matured a bit now that there was some decades of separation from it. And, yes on a recent visit right before the pandemic, the old Freshman Quad that I had once dismissed as an over-the-top wedding cake as a young man had acquired its share of dignity in my old age. Unfortunately, its Gothic towers are no longer visible from any other other vantage point on campus and I’d never have found it if I hadn’t known where to look.

Similarly with Amherst, it’s a great campus until you step off the freshman quad. Then, everything is either down a winding walkway or a staircase.

2 Likes

Visited UF over Spring Break. My D really liked it.

She was hesitant about big schools but decided to go since it we had a day to kill during our vacation.

The tour guides were great. The campus didnt seem overly big and it had a good feel to it.

From an admission standpoint, they seem to encourage OOS students where many other top state universities heavily favor in-state kids.

My hypothesis is they are really trying to encourage strong OOS candidates with high SAT scores helps to keep up their Top 5 Public University ranking.

Overall it was an enjoyable experience and is on our list as a strong safety school.

10 Likes

@Wormwad – he chose Christopher Newport. He likes the general ed courses and the hands on work he’ll do as part of his major. The campus really clicked for him, and there are multiple options for him to play in symphony ensembles.

Took us through an unusual route to get there, but we made it to the finish line.

25 Likes

Have really enjoyed this thread so will post our visits. Background- we are from Michigan and D23 wants some place warm. GPA (W), 4.0, ACT 26 (taken twice), several AP classes. Budget is $35K and don’t want her to take loans for anything above that. All of these factors drove our choices. Looking for at least mid-size school, not interested in sports or Greek life. Mostly undecided major, considering Bio or Psych. This is our first time doing college tours and wanted to focus on safety schools. Travel route- flew in to Tampa and out of Wilimington.

1. University of South Florida- Moved Down, off the list. The only place we didn’t have a tour so not really a fair comparison to the others. We were there on a Sunday and saw only 2 students. Didn’t get a good feel. Had read some negative comments about the surrounding area- it didn’t feel unsafe to me, just blah.

2. University of Tampa- Moved up, will apply. Really liked the campus. Did not expect to see some beautiful older buildings and cobblestone roads. Staff was friendly, students less so. Dorms were nice although if she is serious about attending we would need to apply early and secure housing right away as they are often short on housing. Loved the proximity to downtown Tampa and that they offer a pre-Optometry focus which she is interested in. I couldn’t get over the fancy pool.

3. University of Central Florida- Moved down, not sure about applying. We were able to squeeze into a tour. Biggest campus of our tours and thought this would be a plus. But it just didn’t have the feel she was looking for (I think it was just too big for her liking). Lots of opportunities here. Campus had some pretty spots but in general was mediocre. Some of the “fun” activities the tour guide listed felt sort of forced. For a large campus it felt the most crowded.

4. University of North Florida- Moved up, will apply. This was a surprise hit and a place we almost took off our trip. The best surprise was that they are offering a new program for OOS students. If you have a 3.5 or get into their honors program, or are a STEM major (excluding nursing) or are a diverse candidate, you can qualify for up to $12,000 off out of state tuition. And in talking to admissions it sounds like most who apply and meet the criteria should expect this. This is a huge discount. On top of that, we loved Jacksonville and the nearby beach. Campus was very nice- on a nature preserve. They have a lazy river near the dorms! Good honors programs and good student vibe.

5. Coastal Carolina- Moved down, off list. It felt average in every way. Nothing bad, nothing good. We stayed in Myrtle Beach which was not how I remembered it so being near there was not the draw we expected. Good student vibe. Dorms smelled like weed so I felt like those two things are related lol.

6. University of North Carolina Wilmington- Moved up, top of list, will apply. Loved pretty much everything about it. Did an Honors tour- was basically a one on one meeting with the honors heads. They offer a lot, however require you to live in honors dorms which could be deal breaker for my daughter. Pretty campus, students didn’t all look the same and seemed to be enjoying themselves. Beach and town were both really nice.

25 Likes

Just returned from our trip to Walla Walla, WA to check out Whitman College.

It’s located in a beautiful small town (a town so nice they named it twice). The town was bigger than a couple of the other small town schools we visited where it felt like (to me) that my D would get bored on the weekends. Although charming small towns there wasn’t much to do. I didn’t feel that way about Whitman! It’s an adorable small town with charm, but there’s a lot there. There are a lot of great restaurants, a couple fast food chains, lots of fun stores, etc. There’s a Toyota dealer to get her truck worked on if needed, there’s a T-Mobile store for the phone, pretty much everything you need. But still small town charm! My daughter loved that you can walk only a few blocks from the campus right into town. The campus is beautiful, so many trees. The residential area around the school is also very pretty. Everyone we met was so nice.

D was there was an athletic camp so she only got a quick outdoors tour. We are thinking about returning to do an official tour, meet with someone from the dept of her major,etc. The school is definitely in her top 3 now.

Tip for those interested in Whitman: we flew into the nice, but tiny Walla Walla airport for our trip. They only have two outgoing flights a day. We showed up at 4:45 Monday to find out our 6 AM flight was cancelled, and there was no other available flight for two days! We ended up taking a bus to Pasco/Tri Cities airport and eventually made our way home from there. They have shuttles to and from that airport and it’s an easy 45 minute drive from Walla Walla. They have a small gift shop and food there, unlike the Walla Walla airport. People on the bus with us said it’s common for flights to get cancelled at Walla Walla…you’ve been warned lol.

20 Likes

Have you checked out Ohio University? Our DD’21 goes there and our younger one will be applying. We toured about 15 schools 18 months ago (and another dozen so far this season.) UCF was the nicest of the Florida schools but the admissions people made it QUITE CLEAR that they were focused on in-state students. Of the 25 campuses we’ve viewed over the last two years, I would say the three nicest were Princeton, U Richmond and Ohio University. Everything at OU is basically 12-minute walk vs places like West Virginia (10 min-drive) & Alabama (7min drive.) If you’re applying to UNCW, I would give Ohio University a pretty strong look.

6 Likes

UNC Wilmington has a very pretty campus, great setting.

Was Richmond nicer than Wake Forest or Davidson, or you did not see those?

Have been to all three and they share a lot in common. All beautiful and defined “traditional” campuses. All three have a major UG focus which brings the entire UG student body together. S attended Wake but gave serious consideration to Richmond. I can attest to the fact that they (Wake) have events (not including sporting events) that are hugely popular and get upwards of 50% of the student body involved.

All three are relatively small campuses and are easy to walk. Basically never more than 10 minutes from anything.

8 Likes

The University of Washington fell off of our list. We really wanted to like it and many parts of it we did.
The good parts:
The zoom in/micro – The campus and immediate surroundings are beautiful. The buildings, Husky Stadium, Greek row, U-village, the Ave are amazing. The educational resources are superb.
The zoom out /macro– The Puget Sound, mountains and skiing 1.5 hours away, Bainbridge and other islands, etc.
The bad part, that drove us away, was the mid view. Parts of Seattle and downtown in particular near hotels seemed unsafe and the trajectory seems to be getting worse. In order to go from micro to macro and back, a student or the family would have to travel through the city. There are homeless encampments, trash, crime (local news), graffiti, urban blight. etc. This is likely no worse than other places in the NE, LA, SF, or Chicago but we didn’t want that as part of the “college experience”.

8 Likes

This thread is fun, so I’ll do my part to keep it going. We live near Allegheny College and our S23 has attended classes there as part of his public high school’s gifted program. That experience has shaped his perception of what college should feel like, so he is mainly looking at LACs. He loves the small classroom give-and-take with professors and thrives in that environment. Also, he would like to play soccer in college and his best chance for doing so is at the D3 level. His grade average is 100 UW/103.9W. He is ranked 1/165 and has a 1500 SAT. Probably will major in International Studies and wants to study in another country at some point. He likes Allegheny a lot but doesn’t want to go there. Big shocker – too close to home.

Moved Down:
Kenyon – We visited Kenyon last summer at the end of June. We were on a six day trans-Ohio bicycle trip (from Cincinnati back to our home) and the bike trail goes right by the campus so we planned in advance to stay at the Kenyon Inn. We arranged a tour for the next morning before we rode on. We toured the athletic facility first with one tour guide, and the rest of the campus with a separate guide after that. The athletic facility was first-rate – a beautiful building. Really, the whole campus was beautiful in a bucolic sort of way. Both tour guides were personable and handled their jobs well. I think the campus was just too remote for my S23. The nearest town, Mount Vernon, is about nine miles away. We already live in a pretty rural area so he doesn’t want to do that again for college. My take: There was no “community” independent from the college. Someone else on this thread accurately described Kenyon as a campus with a small village in the middle of it. Very true. Everyone you saw was either a student or employee of the college, it seemed. Also, the admission staff did not really interact with us at all. The impression I got was that they receive plenty of applications and didn’t need to wine and dine us much. We biked away and decided he won’t apply.

Stayed the same
College of Wooster – We visited in August as part of an organized group tour event. They fed us a light brunch of fruit, muffins, bagels, etc., and then an AO gave a cheerful presentation to the group in an auditorium. After that we broke off for small group tours. Both of us expected to like Wooster and they didn’t disappoint. However, we would have liked to have gone into more buildings rather than just seeing the outsides. We saw only the common areas of a dorm and a few classrooms in some other buildings. We did not tour the athletic facility, dining hall, student center, or library, although I think the student center/dining hall was undergoing renovations at the time. He will probably apply there.

Moved up
Pitt – Pitt is our in-state financial safety school. We told him he should apply because, even though it is not an LAC, it is a strong school and we can afford to send him there even if they don’t give him any merit aid. We toured it in October. The AO who gave the group presentation was phenomenal – perkiest woman on the planet, but in a good way. We decided that if we ever need to receive any bad news the rest of our lives, we want her to be the one to break it to us. Unfortunately, our student tour guide was disappointing. Nice kid, but he talked WAY too fast. We walked close to him to increase our chances of understanding what he was saying and could still only understand about a third of his sentences. At one point a woman in the group gently suggested that he might consider talking a little slower, but he didn’t catch the hint. Despite that, my S23 really liked the “urban but not too urban” location, the Chipotle within close walking distance, and the “mini Quads” scattered around to give it a more “campus” feel. He decided that if he ends up going to a “big” school he wants it to be Pitt.

Ohio Wesleyan – We visited 4/28. We got there early and had lunch at one of the main dining halls. The food was good and there was plenty of variety, so we got off to a good start. We met with the assistant director of admissions for a half-hour and then toured the campus one-on-one with a student. It helped that the day was beautiful and the flowering trees on campus were in full bloom, but my S23 was impressed with OWU. He liked that it was adjacent to the business district of Delaware and was also close to Columbus. He also liked that students can use their campus meal plan to eat at several off-campus local restaurants within walking distance. The campus has a bit of an odd shape. All the residential buildings are on one end, all the academic buildings and athletic facilities on the other, with a connecting pathway between that has the campus center, library and admissions office adjacent to it. OWU has a newly renovated freshman dorm, and it’s terrific. Very modern looking, with a dining hall, fitness room, and gaming room on the ground floor. The mock dorm room they showed us seemed a little narrower than most I’ve seen, but was otherwise fine. There is also a brand new building containing senior apartments. My S23 also liked how much they emphasize study abroad and support students who want to do that. Overall, we were both very impressed.

Denison – We visited the day after we went to OWU and it became S23’s new front-runner. The town of Granville is very quaint and upscale and sits at the bottom of the hill right below campus. We ate dinner at the Pub downtown the night before our visit and drove around campus afterwards to get our bearings. We showed up early the next day and ate brunch at Curtis Hall courtesy of DU. That was a great experience. There were a lot of students around so we could see the school’s diversity. Some were eating in groups at large tables; others were sitting alone studying while they ate. I had never had mint chocolate chip cookies before that day and I think I want to pay $280K just to duplicate that experience (I jest!). Our small group presentation was pretty standard, and our tours were both good, too, but nothing extraordinary. The athletic facility is every bit as nice as Kenyon’s. Again, it helped that the weather was perfect – upper 60s and sunny with the trees in full bloom – but the place just resonated with S23. He loved the campus layout and the views of the surrounding hills. The dorm we were shown was also “better than most” (Tiger Woods reference for you golf fans). It was square rather than rectangular and felt more spacious because of it. We played nine holes at Denison Golf Club after the tour. The course is terrific and he would have discounted access to it if he ends up there – another plus. They will probably need to offer him big $$ to make it feasible in the end, but his stats are pretty solid so we’ll see.

We also plan to visit Kalamazoo, Hobart, and Dickinson in the coming months, so stay tuned.

32 Likes

We loved Denison and were surprised by their generous merit aid so maybe you’ll get that offer too.

My S is a current ND student and the school is not controlling at all about leaving campus. There is a lot going on all the time on campus so one could stay there all the time. Not much going on in SB, but students do go out to Chicago for day or weekend trips.

2 Likes

Just visited University of Denver. It went way up on my S22’s list (he committed). Campus is beautiful. Lots of new construction. Beautiful rooftop deck in the student Union with a view of the mountains. Campus has beautiful winding paths, lots of trees and lots of green space. Light rail station right off campus and kids get a free pass and it takes them right into downtown. Best part was the students. Everyone was so friendly. Seemed like really smart kids from all over the country, all with really varied interests and hobbies. About an hour to great skiing and hiking. Lots of restaurants right off campus and area seemed safe. Only negative was the cafeteria food.

24 Likes

My son decided on ND! Keeping our fingers crossed that it is the right choice for him!

11 Likes

Amylzzy, Our son visited CWRU twice. Going into the first visit, he had the school on the list because it met his criteria - within a day’s drive from home, strong in engineering, not too big, etc. - but it was not a favorite. We were pleasantly surprised by the campus, the surrounding neighborhood in Cleveland, and the tour guide. The Sears Think Box was a crowd pleaser too. After getting all his acceptances, he visited Case again with his mother before making a final decision. The second visit reinforced his positive impression, and his mother liked the school too. He committed to Case for Mechanical Engineering.

10 Likes

Remember to keep posts on topic. If you have comments or questions for posters, send them a message. Thanks!

2 Likes

Off the list…SUNY ESF. Liked the idea of an all environmental science school but surprised at just how urban the setting was. She absolutely does not want an urban school.

Moved up… St. Mary’s College of Maryland. Gorgeous campus, has everything she wants in academics, ECs, small and supportive community, lots of research opportunities right there on the bay.

16 Likes