Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

My son and I recently visited Wheaton College, a small liberal arts school in Norton, MA. It was on our radar due to helpful CC posters who thought it might be a good match. S24 is looking for small classes, available professors, academic support (dyslexic). Also, a community of people who love their school and are intellectual but engaged in a lot of things outside the classroom also. He’s a kid who loves variety, from DnD to playing any sport, and his favorite subject so far is history. Wheaton used to be a women’s college and does not have the Greek system or football. It went way up on S24’s list from maybe to top 5.

Here’s my trip report which I also posted in S24’s college journey thread:

Wheaton’s campus is much bigger than I was expecting! They have 400 acres for 1,700 students. We were comparing to other schools we’ve seen such as American University: 84 acres for 8,500 students, or Roger Williams: 140 acres for about 5,000 students. S24 likes the feel of the campuses with more space per person.

S24 also likes a historic feel, especially a bit colonial mixed with modern, which is Wheaton. Somehow, we hadn’t seen any photos with the pond, and it’s very picturesque. Also, contrary to our expectations when visiting the campus in June, it was not a ghost town at all because it was an orientation day for the incoming freshman. There were lots of students and OA’s all over campus, with lunch and games set up on the lawn.

It was easy to find admissions, and there were only two other students on our tour. Our tour guide is Syrian, but he grew up in Turkey. He said he loves how peaceful and open Wheaton is, as a break from the density of Ankara. He was remarkably humble for a clearly bright, accomplished and cosmopolitan person. Afterwards, S24 and I kept coming up with examples of self-deprecating things he said with good humor and a positive spin. Like how as a freshman, he was excited to get into a special design class with a brilliant professor, but then the drone he made didn’t fly, but it was okay because he is still working on it and has learned so much.

Due to gifts from a Wheaton alum who married an heir to the Mars (candy) family fortune, Wheaton has a beautiful, expanded arts and humanities building, and a light, spacious, eco-friendly, science and technology center. These buildings are surrounded by more classic-looking brick dorms, the chapel, the pretty and historic Mary Lyon Hall, etc.

Several points on the tour were especially appealing to S24:

1. Computer Museum. A com sci professor started a computer museum with tech from the 1970s on up. They have hundreds of vintage video games students can play, and an IBM PC running DOS v1.1. Students are working with the professor to organize and display more donations. S24 was bummed to find it closed for the summer, but that kind of thing is right up his alley.
  2. Clear and easy availability of free peer tutoring.
  3. Wheaton Woods. This is a wooded area about a mile long and half a mile wide with several loops of trails, adjacent to campus.

After our tour, S24 wanted to eat on campus, so we wandered into Emersondining hall. It was almost empty except for what looked like a group of administrators who had already finished eating their lunch. They welcomed us and asked if they could help us, and when we said we were wondering if there was an open dining hall, they said no, but that they had a buffet still set up in the other room and we should help ourselves! I normally wouldn’t do that, but they were so genuine and relaxed about it, so we did. It was really nice to be able to eat on campus with no hassle or charge. That gave us a nice feeling for the place and people! I think it reflects a vibe that is more like a community where things are personal and flexible, rather than an institution where people are more anonymous and rules are rules.

S24 has ranked Wheaton the #1 homiest college, which is definitely a plus!

45 Likes

Hi–this visit was only a virtual one, but someone on another thread recommended that I share it here. So just in case it’s useful:
Just wanted to tell everybody that I loved Drexel from seeing its Fbook and email PR. Then, we went to the info session (virtual) this morning and found out two very important things. 1) except for the summer after the first year, you get no summers off. They have a rigid structure for 4 and 5 year completion, and it sounds like they don’t allow significant deviation. 2) the presentation was all about co-ops and careers. I’m not exaggerating. The rep said “education” once, and he did not talk about academics at all. I think this school could still be great for students who really aren’t too interested in a traditional college education/experience. Many of the CS and Engineering students whose posts I read might really love this structure. But for social sciences, we had to rule it out! Hope this helps someone!

15 Likes

S24 and I flew into Denver for campus tours of University of Denver and CU Boulder. It is eerie how similar S24s reaction was to what @shawk posted a month ago!

It was 95 degrees and both tours were at 2 pm in the afternoon.

DU- UP- beautiful campus that feels a lot bigger than it is. Despite the miserable heat S24 enjoyed walking around the campus. The Arboretum on campus is just gorgeous and there are lots of great places outside to interact. We had a great tour guide who balanced the academic and the fun aspects of the school perfectly. She was from MN and chose DU because of great merit aid which made it one of her cheaper options. I am sure that is why we did not get the rich kids only vibe. The prospective students were from all over the US and also a few international students. I think it was a true representation of their geographic diversity.

DU is still trying to figure out how they will be using their recently acquired Mountain campus, but in the meantime the students use it as a getaway on weekends. He also liked the easy access to Denver via light rail and good potential for merit aid. They are now a R1 research university which is important for S24. For him it was a plus that students are required to live on campus for 2 years. The university owns quite a bit of the housing off campus as well. The info session focused on personal stories of students and the summer abroad program is a huge selling point. He loved that their kayaking club encourages students with no experience to join and has training sessions twice a week in the Olympic sized pool all fall so they can be ready to go out in the Spring.

We have been trying to nail down the one likely school that S24 would be very happy to attend. DU checked almost all the boxes for him and has taken a lot of the pressure off the process. I could just see that the whole process no longer feels overwhelming for him.

CU Boulder - DOWN Boulder is beautiful and the campus is gorgeous but S24 felt like it was procedurally generated from red bricks and tiles. There was nothing about the campus that was memorable to him except the buffalo shaped pool - which was very busy. The information was incredibly boring and vague with just slide after slide of info directly from their website - I actually fell asleep!

Ironically we actually got the rich kid party school vibe at CU Boulder rather than DU. Tour guide (business major) spoke dismissively of nerdy engineers as we were passing the plaque honoring the 3 recent Physics Nobel Prize winners at CU Boulder. The tour guide did not highlight his academic experience, or job and internship prospects. Just a strange tour that did little to showcase all the wonderful things that I am sure CU Boulder has to offer. S24 will probably take it off the list because he doesn’t feel like he fits here.

22 Likes

Great write-up! So interesting that we had such similar experiences, I think you were spot on with observations and spoke to some things I had forgotten about (almost falling asleep during the recorded videos, etc). Good luck to your son.

5 Likes

Same! Denver is among the top choices for my daughter 24 as well. Felt surprisingly large and very friendly, and we were there on one of their few rainy days.

3 Likes

We had same impression of CU- Boulder. Their presentation was the most boring one we’ve attended.

2 Likes

We did their virtual tour last week and it was really poorly done. No pics of campus at all. No video, nothing. Just a talking head in an office who could barely stay awake.

1 Like

D24 touring mostly Midwest and east coast schools for Aerospace Engineering:

Case Western Reserve - Down Slightly - Fantastic academics, research opportunities, and a lot of support for their students. Close to NASA Glenn. Unfortunately, the campus and dorms are very blah. D24 didn’t like the vibe. However, the reputation and proximity to home is keeping it on her list and she would like to go back for a second tour and ask more questions. It helps that they continue to show interest in D24 with lots of mail, emails, and a leather pencil case!

Colorado School of Mines - Down & Out - Not enough trees around campus. She really, really, hated that there were so few big trees in the area. The speaker was good, the academics and job recruiting sounded excellent. Many more boys at this school than girls. My husband and I noticed that kids didn’t seem particularly happy, but it was close to exam time for them. Tour guide also spoke about how it can be difficult to secure a place to live after freshmen year.

Rose-Hulman - Down & Out - We did not have an official tour but walked the campus while we were in town over the summer. We were able to go in one building and window peek in various labs. This school is TEENY-TINY. We felt we were on a community college campus. It looks like students would be spending all 4 years learning within the confines of 3 academic buildings. The campus is not within walking distance to shops or restaurants although I understand there is a city bus they have access to. The closest off-campus area seems a bit run down. Based on bumper stickers and yard signs, it is heavily republican. D24 was disappointed because she wanted to like it but ended up being disappointed in the small campus and surrounding area.

University of Michigan - Up - D24 did a 2-week STEM camp last summer. She got to experience the campus, dorms, food (yummy), classrooms, and toured the engineering campus. She really enjoyed it and could see herself attending.

University of Illinois Urbana/Champaign - Up - D24 just finished a 1-week Aerospace Engineering camp and had a lot of fun. She experienced the campus, dorms, food (not great), classrooms/labs, and explored the nearby shops and restaurants. They had an in-depth information session about UIUC Engineering at the end of camp. Excellent internship opportunities. This school has moved to her top choice because of the different research projects she learned about, their sustainable efforts, and the vibe of the campus.

Purdue - Neutral/Same - Tour guide was an outgoing gym enthusiast with a great sense of humor. He made the walking tour fun and interesting. D24 liked the engineering building. The dining seems really good. We did not get to see a dorm. D24 found the appearance of ALL red-brick buildings to be boring however, it’s not a deal breaker. Excellent opportunities for internships. This is one of the most cost-effective schools she’s considering and would be happy to attend.

Boston University - Down & Out - This wasn’t really a contender because they don’t offer her desired major. However, we did the tour anyways and it was quite good. A 4th year student shared his experience having a double major. We walked the urban campus but didn’t get to see inside any dorms. The students we encountered seemed happy. This seems like a top-notch school in a safe urban setting, full of young adults.

Still wanting to tour: Michigan State, Ohio State, Olin, Rensselar, and maybe Carnegie Mellon.

25 Likes

Was it weeds? Or were they intentionally letting the grass go to meadow? Emory, where I work tries to limit the areas on campus that are really groomed because it requires so much fertilizer and pesticides.

7 Likes

I visited Bates recently and it felt super outdoorsy to me. I agree that the Bates students seem more activist/engaged/service-minded than at Colby or Bowdoin for that matter. I love that Bates has 100% free skiing for everyone and no much other equipment on loan.

2 Likes

You probably don’t need more reaches but this is similar to Vassar and Amherst in the open curriculum, but ever so slightly less of a reach. My D was waitlisted at both of those schools but will be attending Hamilton College. You may want to check it out, their curriculum and academics seem amazing.
Sorry this should probably go on the off-topic thread! We never toured Amherst but were familiar with the area, and my D loved Vassar…. Then when we finally visited Hamilton after she got in, loved it even more.

3 Likes

Can’t believe we’re starting this again - just finishing up dorm room planning for D23 and already beginning to fit in trips for S25 now. Crazy. Anyway, my wife and S25 were in Indiana last weekend for sports and had the opportunity to canvas a bunch of places, mostly spontaneously.

Indiana - up (meaning “onto the list of possibles from not really being considered at all”). Both wife and student were very favorably impressed by the campus. Immaculately maintained landscaping, beautiful limestone, lots of surprisingly large green spaces, paver sidewalks all add up to a great atmosphere, especially on the older Western portion of campus. Enjoyed lunch along Kirkwood Ave. Negatives reported: campus is ENORMOUS, 35k+ undergrads felt perhaps larger than S25 really wants, Kelley School of Business is a long way from the historic old part of campus.

Purdue - down/off (from never on, anyway). Spontaneous stop-in without official tour. Felt more industrial to them than IU. Their impressions were that there’s less open space, a lot of huge buildings crowded together without the same sense of cohesion, and a lot more busy streets traversing campus. S isn’t really STEM focused so worth a stop but didn’t see anything that entices him.

Wabash College - down/off (again, wasn’t really on the radar, anyway). Cute, well-maintained but very, very small. S not really interested in single-sex school, so wasn’t the right audience, but they did generally think it a nice, quaint place. No official tour.

DePauw - way up (from “You can’t force me to go to a LAC or a school in the midwest, and certainly not both” to “Would definitely consider”). Reportedly, everything from dorms to dining to athletic and rec facilities felt brand new and very nice. DePauw is opening a dedicated undergrad business school this fall, which is unique at a LAC (I know Washington & Lee has one, and maybe a few other places, but not many). Both wife and S25 were impressed by the layout and said there was more to Greencastle than anticipated, though it’s by no means a metropolis. Had a great tour guide, which makes a difference.

22 Likes

We squeezed in a visit to Colby College on our way home from vacation. Kid is artsy and outdoorsy and is looking for a small/mid-size LAC. He has been to several other NESCAC campuses, as well as a few other options in New York and MA.

Colby College//MOVED UP:

Firstly, the Colby campus on a perfect summer day is stunning. Kid loved the aesthetics of campus–from the plentiful green spaces to the pretty walkways and well maintained buildings. We did a drive through of Waterville and it seemed fine (keep in mind Hamilton is top of his list; Waterville is similarly remote/small).

The Admissions building was staffed by friendly and welcoming students who ushered us into an very brief info session, led by an admissions staff person. I appreciated the focus and brevity of the presentation, and the staff member ended it by having tour guides come up and introduce themselves so we could choose the guide who seemed like the best match for our interests.

The guides were all male, and skewed pretty heavy to preppy and athletic (not surprising based on what we’ve read about Colby, and the fact that it is summer so a smaller percentage of students will be on campus). FTR my kid is neither preppy nor team sports oriented.

My kid chose a tour guide who is majoring in religious studies and minoring in mathematics. This tour guide was fantastic, and did an excellent job of providing perspectives/anecdotes from his friend group that included students who weren’t into sports. He also spoke about how the Colby curriculum and distribution requirements allowed him to explore areas of study he didn’t even know he was interested in–leading to him declaring a major in a subject that wasn’t even on his radar when he enrolled.

The new athletic center is amazing–but the rock wall was underwhelming so my kid was less impressed than the other folks on the tour. A new performing arts center is under construction and looks to be equally jaw-dropping. There are four new dorm buildings (smallish in size) that should help top alleviate recent housing woes caused by higher yield.

We loved that our tour guide mentioned that if you go to the coffee house on campus with a professor both of your drinks are free–we thought that was a really cute way to encourage connecting with your professors outside of class.

We also loved that students have to do 3 J-term courses while enrolled–seems like a great way to pursue interests, and love that there are lots of off-campus and study abroad options that fulfill the requirement.

We found the dining halls a bit underwhelming, and our tour guide confirmed that the food was one thing he would change if he could.

Overall this was a good visit, and kid found the location and beauty of campus to be pluses.

17 Likes

Fordham–we only toured the Lincoln Center campus, because it houses the BFA in dance. (She would likely double major, but would be housed at LC). I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around smaller schools, having gone to a big state school. But it seemed really small to me, and D25 commented on the fact that “there are only four buildings”. We saw an apartment and I got my first taste of “wow, things have improved since I went to school!”. Super nice. It sounds like they’ve recently re-done some of the classrooms, which looked beautiful and updated; classes are clearly small. People from admissions and the tour guide and another student we spoke with were friendly and kind. The campus itself was pretty deserted, which we expected during the summer. I wouldn’t say there’s a lot of character to the campus, but it looks modern and really does bleed into the heart of the city–you are next door to everything. I started asking D25 what she liked/didn’t like:
Like: small classes, the fact that the library got quieter as you went up the floors (to her, this meant that people took their studies seriously)
Disliked: “Mom, I don’t want to live in the city.” Ok, then. Unless Alvin Ailey (the dance group) wins her heart in the next year, I can safely say that this is off the list. I suspect she would have liked the Rose Hill campus more, but not enough to make this be a viable option.

Barnard: Just like I’d heard, Barnard has a much more defined campus than other NYC campuses. It’s beautiful–brick, and green, and new buildings that still fit the aesthetic. I can totally see the appeal–the benefits of an LAC coupled with the resources of a big research university. Our tour guide was well-spoken, loved Barnard, and was able to wax poetic on everything from the Maker’s Space to small classes taught by the professor to traditions to clubs with Columbia. D25 Likes: small classes (sense a theme?), classes sounded interesting (tour guide had talked about all sorts of different topics). Dislikes: “Mom, it was fine [and better than Fordham]. I just think that as I get to see other colleges, this one won’t stay on the list.” My take home message is that any school that stresses “the city is our campus” is not for her. I do think NYC’s size is a big component of this; a smaller city might be fine. But it did feel distinctly more removed from the more touristy part of NYC.

15 Likes

Lots of tours- DS24- started with upstate NY-RIT- UP - liked campus and emphasis on getting kids in different majors to collaborate. Loved all the technology. son didn’t love that campus is a bit isolated from Rochester.

U Rochester-DOWN- very disappointing tour. Refused to show us rec center, barely went in any buildings. We went to visit a friend who works there and got a much better tour of the hospital labs!

Syracuse-.NC- liked campus more than we thought we would. Lots of school spirit. A little too much of a party/sports atmosphere for son.

Union- NC- I really liked combo of liberal arts and STEM, son less impressed. I loved campus. Cute campus. I liked town, not sure why others didn’t like it. Maybe because I grew up in Baltimore :slight_smile:

Rensselaer-OUT- everything about the tour was miserable from the admissions officer presentation to the tour to the weather. Students seemed stressed and not happy.

Univ Richmond- UP- beautiful campus. Loved tour even though was pouring rain. Lots of opportunities to get job experience and we liked Richmond, tho campus is a little far from downtown.

W&M-UP- campus a mix of old and new. Likes the St. Andrew’s program. He liked the history of the campus and the marine science opportunities at VIMS.

SUNY Binghamton-UP- really liked campus and the town. Good safety school.

Bates- No Change- didn’t mesh with the tour guide. Kids did separate tour from parents and he said none of the kids asked questions so boring tour. Sounds like we parents got a better tour than the kids. On the list still, but less high.

Colby-UP- first school we have toured he is excited about. Loved the vibe and the academic program. Liked the Jam plan. We have a place in Maine, so he knows he likes the quietness of Maine in the winter.

Northeastern-UP-surprisingly liked it even tho he isn’t a city person. Liked co-op program. Of course this and Colby huge reaches….

Boston Univ-NC- liked if more than he thought he would be ‘too city like’.

Boston College-UP-liked there was more granite than brick. And liked being a little outside of Boston. A little concerned may be too religious.

Brandeis- OUT-didn’t like campus. Didn’t really click for him.

Lots of decisions to make on ED the next few months!

29 Likes

OK, WUSTL. Available for a Saturday visit, so we knocked it out.

WUSTL: UP. Very large group visiting, so info session and tour were pretty much scripted, nothing special, nothing bad, picked up some useful information here and there.

But the big star was the campus. S24 really responded to the cohesive, high quality Collegiate Gothic, and also general layout with lots of green spaces of all sizes. Lots to do in St Louis, of course, and having Forest Park right across from campus was a nice plus.

Bottom line, it is now a strong ED II contender.

21 Likes

Finally went on some actual college visits:

Boston University: Down/out. Campus is lovely and TBH the programs in general sound amazing. I love the sheer number and variety of courses the school offers. But the major C24 wants seems to have changed starting this year, and unfortunately offers little to no flexibility, so C24 isn’t as enthusiastic anymore.

Emerson: Was already high on the list, but still somehow went up. We were there early for our tour, and a few current students working in the welcome session struck up a conversation with C24. They were super friendly, knowledgeable and welcoming and I could practically see the stars in my kid’s eyes. Emerson’s theaters are kind of amazing, and my kid was totally charmed.

18 Likes

I’m cross-posting this from my studio art & LAC post in the College Selection sub-forum. For context, we’re from a small, mountain town in Nevada and my kid is very interested in studio art. Fair warning, this review is 98% positive and largely uncritical because, in truth, my kid (and I) liked all the colleges we visited.

Boston University gets a thumbs up. My kid did the four-week art program at BU, where she stayed in a freshman dorm. She really liked the city of Boston, which she opined seemed relatively clean, safe, and manageable. The freshmen dorms were fine, and she really liked the meal-plan food. She enjoyed the art facilities and instructors. She came away wanting a demanding art program in college–i.e., one that will challenge her in a similar manner. She also wants a strong sense of community and involved, motivated students. She will apply to BU and we’ll cross our fingers for the off chance of a reasonable merit-aid award. We didn’t do a tour given her prior four weeks there.

Bowdoin was a hit. She really liked Bowdoin in large part because she really enjoyed her interview, which was with a student. We ate at the Bowdoin dining hall, which was cheap and delicious. Unfortunately, the museums were closed because it was a Monday. We were able to let ourselves into the studio art building and peeked into the classrooms and art studios, which seemed nice. My impressions were that Bowdoin is very well resourced and seemed like the most intimate and friendly college of the ones we visited. I asked if there is any advantage to ED, and the official answer was no. That said, Bowdoin takes about 50% of their class in ED and considers demonstrated interest, so . . . my personal opinion is that ED probably offers a minor advantage as I construe that term. Parent tip: I enjoyed dinner on the outdoor deck of the Sea Dog Brewery around sunset on a fine Maine day. The gelato place was also excellent, as advertised.

Dartmouth was also great. It felt like something of a university-LAC hybrid in size and felt a little more bustling with students there for summer term. We ate at one of the dining halls, which, like Bowdoin, was cheap and very good. We also got a personal tour of the studio art facilities, which are slightly disconnected from the main campus and more in the town of Hanover (but not particularly inconvenient). The recently constructed art facilities are very impressive and well resourced. One drawback, however, is that Dartmouth doesn’t currently offer a study-abroad program at a foreign art school or even one with a studio art focus. It sounds like art students have been pushing for one though. Dartmouth’s post-degree internship program is a cool opportunity for fine artists. My kid was a little underwhelmed by the quality of the student art in a second-year drawing class, which may have affected her impression a little. I advised her to avoid drawing any hasty conclusions and look at senior projects and other sources online. Parent tip: If you like rye whisky and/or extremely bucolic Vermont locales, the WhistlePig Tasting Room is worth the 15-ish minute drive to Quechee, VT from Hanover.

Williams was probably the most impressive and extremely well-resourced college. I think we both agreed that it had the nicest campus, although I don’t think my kid had particularly strong feelings on the niceness of each campus. There was no building or feature that was not extremely well designed and sophisticated. We let ourselves into the studio art building and again peeked in the windows of the various studios and classrooms. Williams probably has the nicest facilities, although Dartmouth is awfully close. The art museum was cute and well-integrated into the school. Williams offers an art-loan program to students (similar to Oberlin and Skidmore) where students can borrow a piece (usually a print) and put it on the wall of their dorms. The dining halls, sadly, were not open. Williamstown exceeded my expectations–I thought it was on par with Brunswick, although I get the impression that my opinion may be in the minority. Parent tip: The Clark was excellent, but after a lot of general walking and standing from the campus tour, we enjoyed the little cinema in town, where we saw Barbie. The Thai place was also much better than expected.

Skidmore was also fantastic and seemed the most art-focused. The kid liked it. We received an extremely intimate and personal art tour, info session, and general tour. The art studios and facilities were extensive but perhaps as not as highfalutin as the first three. One thing I personally liked about Skidmore (not sure about my kid) is that they offer several classes and a minor in Art Administration (the business side of art), which is somewhat rare. The campus had a much more modern feel than the other colleges. It was nice, but not as nice as the other four colleges. We had lunch at a dining hall, which was good but maybe not as good as Bowdoin or Dartmouth. Most freshmen get triples, one of which we toured. The kid thought Skidmore triples are more spacious than the BU double she lived in for four weeks. The Tang art museum was also nice and well-integrated into the school. As mentioned above, students can borrow a piece of art and put it up in their dorms. We didn’t get to explore the town much, but I got the impression that it and Northampton probably had the most of offer of all the LACs we toured. One quirk of Skidmore is that graduates will receive a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree, not a BA, which has something to do with art students taking more classes in their major. Ironically, if one were to major in chemistry or another STEM field, the degree would be a BA. Go figure. I got the sense from the info session that Skidmore pushes ED harder than the other schools. Parent tip: Sorry, I have none.

Smith was great. It felt a bit like Bowdoin and Williams, but all women. The kid said she’d be fine with a women’s college, but it wasn’t particularly a draw either. The residential housing system is definitely a cool feature. We got a personal tour of the studio art facilities from a longtime professor, which was extremely cool. The facilities were great, but perhaps a smidgeon less fancy than Williams and Dartmouth. Still, it had everything and the professor was extremely charming. The art museum was impressive and like Williams and Skidmore, very integrated into the school. As we were walking through campus back toward our car, another professor (of a non-art subject) randomly stopped us and asked if we were touring the campus. He proceeded to talk to us for 15-20 minutes about Smith and college generally, which was extremely gracious of him. That and our professor-led tour spoke very well of Smith specifically and the kind of professorial attention one gets at an LAC generally. Sadly, the dining halls were closed, but Northampton seemed very charming. Parental tip: Pita Pockets in town has great falafel. We actually ate there twice.

New York: We did tourist things in New York, including a quick walk by Columbia. The kid said she had no interest in going to college in New York, which is good because we’re not looking at any schools there and probably couldn’t afford them anyway.

Overall: She liked all five colleges we toured and also BU. There was no clear standout, and she thought she could be happy at any of the six schools. She’s also fine with Nevada. I think she is fairly flexible and adaptable, so some things that might be dealbreakers for others are of less of a concern for her. I think this is ideal, as it means she’s not married to any particular school and could be happy in multiple situations. She understands that all of these schools are reaches (and some far reaches) and that cost is a heavy factor. That said, if she were hypothetically admitted to all six schools for the same overall cost, I think her current rankings would be (1) Williams, (2-tie) Bowdoin and BU, (4) Dartmouth, (5) Smith, and (6) Skidmore. But the gap between #1 and #6 is small and that order is still subject to change.

32 Likes

What an amazing trip @BentWookie We’re a tour family. Love reading these - sounds like you all had a blast!!!

3 Likes

Kid went out west with his other parent to visit Reed, Lewis and Clark and Whitman. We’ll do the OR schools in this post and share the Whittie review in a separate one.
(Child is artsy, humanities focused, appreciates an open curriculum or similar academic structure, loves rock-climbing and snowboarding, focused on small to mid-size LACs)

First was a tour and interview at Reed College, which moved UP.
Reed doesn’t get a lot of love on CC so I wasn’t expecting much–but he LOVED it. The tour guide was fantastic: outgoing, funny, super smart, connected with everyone on the tour and told lots of lively and funny anecdotes about his experience at Reed. He talked up the campus traditions, shared stories about his friend who works at the on-campus nuclear reactor, and described several of the themed balls/dances he’s been too. His depiction of life at Reed was very different from the “all work and no play, introverts who don’t do anything but study and smoke pot” narrative I’ve seen in posts before. My kid really liked that faculty give written feedback when they hand back papers–but no numeric grade. The numeric/letter grade is only revealed at the end; the feedback is meant to make you a better writer/thinker. My kid has never been focused on letter grades as a measure of knowledge, so he really appreciated that approach (fyi: that would drive my older kid absolutely bonkers!)

Kid thought campus was beautiful with lots of woodsy and nature areas to explore. He loves the ski cabin on Mt. Hood that students can reserve and use throughout the year, and he is stoked that there is a climbing wall on campus as well as an excellent bouldering gym nearby. He said the neighborhood around Reed was cute, with good restaurants and places to explore.

He really liked the campus cats, and that there were lots of folks walking dogs and riding skateboards on campus. He loved the library and the Thesis Tower, where you can explore every senior thesis that’s been submitted. The tour stopped there and let the prospective students paw through the tomes–nice touch.

There are no varsity sports at Reed–my kid could care less. Dorms were nice, with a “double” consisting of two separate bedrooms connected by a shared door (to quote the tour guide “So you have privacy, but the door is nice in case you want to go visit your roommate’s cat or something” Ha!). All dorms are gender inclusive, and every student can have fish or other small pets–larger pets need to be emotional support animals to be approved.

Kid felt Reed had similar dark academia vibes to Bard, but with a PNW flavor.

Next was a campus tour and info session at Lewis and Clark. I expected this one to be a home run–but nope. He was underwhelmed and Lewis and Clark moved DOWN.

To be fair, the tour guide was not as strong as the one at Reed. But in general kid did not like the location as much as Reed, and there is no climbing wall. In fact, the PE classes in rock climbing and bouldering take place at the gym close to Reed.

Some of the academic majors and classes sounded interesting (rhetoric and media studies). The dorms were fine. In fact “fine” was my kid’s big takeaway. It wasn’t awful, it wasn’t amazing. The surrounding area was not as walkable as the one bordering Reed, so he was bummed about that. Campus was hilly with a lot of the “skate stopper” features around to prevent skateboarding (boooo!). There was no mention of skiing/snowboarding opportunities.

A note about Portland as a city for college kids: yes, there is a visible population of unhoused persons particularly in downtown. Yes, it is clear that there is tension between city policies and activists on the ground regarding how to solve this issue. My kid was not deterred by this and did not feel it would alter his experience. (He also loves Austin and Los Angeles, where similar issues exist–among many many other cities in the US).

25 Likes