COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

<p>If someone already suggested this, my apologies for the repeat. Kool-Aid Invisibles might be a good option for someone wanting a change from their usual clear fluids. I’ve read that the Watermelon-Kiwi flavor is quite good. You add your own sugar or artificial sweetener to the mix and water, and the result is indeed a colorless drink.</p>

<p>Has anyone tried a “virtual colonoscopy” and if so, did it adequately replace a standard procedure? Would it be better for someone who may have some deformities caused by excess scar tissue? Are there any particular pre-existing conditions that ought to be discussed with the GI dr. ahead of time?</p>

<p>I’ve been through over a dozen major operations, but for some reason this procedure scares me silly. Several relatives had problems with polyps and diverticulitis, one has Crohn’s, and I was dx’d with IBS over five years ago and am well >50. So, yeah, I need to get it done.</p>

<p>As to virtual colonoscopy: you are rolling the dice. If they see a polyp on the VC, you then have to have a traditional colonoscopy to take care of it. So you have had a procedure that most insurance companies won’t cover to avoid having a procedure which you end up having anyway.</p>

<p>I’ve asked some of our docs about these, and they are not convinced that they are anywhere near as good for finding problems as the traditional colonoscopy. You sure don’t want to miss anything on a cancer screening test, so I understand their viewpoint. But often new technology takes awhile to be accepted by the mainstream.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Somehow I missed this response when it was posted. If you’re still on this thread, can you elaborate on the teeth? My daughter does take immunosuppressants and has had a lot of dental problems in the past few years. They come on fast and furious even with prescription mouthwashes and an entire laboratory of dental products and frequent visits to the dentist. I think a dentist told her that bacteria can get the upper hand very easily in the mouth when the immune system is suppressed. Is that what you are referring to?</p>

<p>DW just had hers, she had the magnesium citrate prep. It seemed pretty easy.</p>

<p>Mine is in a few weeks, they’ve given me the miralax/gallon of gatorade prep. They told me that if I didn’t like that, they would ask the doctor for a different prep.</p>

<p>So I don’t think it really matters what you do, they are interchangeable. Ask your doc for the one you want.</p>

<p>I had my 3rd recently; family issue is diverticulitis. Toward the end of the procedure, they lightened my anesthesia (no idea if this was intentional) and I could watch the screen image of the process- pretty darned interesting.</p>

<p>I had anesthesia for my first colonsocopy and loved waking up toward the end of the procedure to watch. The last two times, I’ve had a sedative administered by the doctor and not an anesthesiologist. Couldn’t remember a thing and it took two days to get my head back feeling “right” again. When I requested that they not give me so much sedative during my last colonoscopy the doctor said that that wasn’t really an option with a sedative and that he wants to make sure his patients are “comfortable”. I’m not going back to this doctor again…</p>

<p>I remembered this thread and had to pull it up to share - my primary care doctor just ordered a “now you are over 50” colonoscopy for me and I just looked the appointment up on line - It is in the gastroenterology department with Dr. Butt. </p>

<p>I am not kidding!</p>

<p>Oh, poor guy! He must have to spend half his days pretending to laugh at butt jokes.</p>

<p>Are there any diabetics on this thread who have done this? I am borderline diabetic and have problems with low blood sugar if I don’t eat every 3 or 4 hours. I am WAY overdue for a colonoscopy and I am planning to change doctors soon. My current doc does not seem to be concerned with preventive medicine while the new doc (I went to him before my insurance changed) was pushing for the test years ago. I know that I must have one and I get light-headed and shaky just thinking about no solid food.</p>

<p>I’m sure he’s been the “butt” of many jokes! It was recommended that my son do a medical rotation with a man named “Dr. Sick”.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Talk to Dr. Butt… no, no, your Doctor, maybe he has some thing by injection that can elevate your blood sugar forr the duration of the procedure.</p>

<p>I’ve seen doctors named: Fear, Getwell, and Casebeer, but I think Butt wins.</p>

<p>Just got home from my second colonoscopy and am sleepy (was up most of the night and had to leave the house at 5:30 am. Cleared for another 10 years - yeah!</p>

<p>Don’t put it off. They found something in my first colonoscopy that could have been serious if not caught early enough. You are allowed to eat jello during the prep, if that helps any.</p>

<p>I was told that the completeness of the preparation affects what the doctor can see during the colonoscopy. That was the only thing that kept me from not following the instructions, esp. the last step (enema).</p>

<p>One hospital I worked at had a trauma surgeon named Dr. Kill. No joke. Also there was a psychologist named Dr. Nutt, and of course, a couple of doctors named Dr. Payne.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s true. When a patient is not quite “clean” enough, the doctor will tell them that they wish to see them back in a year because they do not want to take the chance of having missed something. If they really did a bad prep, the doctor will stop the procedure and say they need to come back in a week.</p>

<p>I second the notion of not putting this vital medical procedure on hold. I was diagnosed with colon cancer five years ago at the age of 48. It has been a journey, to say the least. I went through a year of treatment that first year and remained cancer free for a couple of years only to find in a follow up CT scan that the cancer had returned in my lungs. Back on chemo and two surgeries later I’m still here but now I’m stage 4. In fact, I have a CT scan coming up Tuesday. I have a bad case of scanxiety going on now. I have scans every three months. Since I was diagnosed under 50 I didn’t have a colonoscopy. This was picked up at a routine physical. It’s a terrible disease with horrible treatment and not a very good cure rate. The statistics are frightening. So, make an appointment today for a colonoscopy!</p>

<p>Viewer, good luck. DH was diagnosed with stage 3 four years ago at age 47. He had a year of hell, but things have been okay ever since. Every time he has a CT scan to look for metastasis, I’m quite anxious. DH doesn’t worry a bit about it. That’s fine, though, I can worry enough for the both of us. </p>

<p>I wish you the best.</p>

<p>Thank you, Nrdsb4, and continued good luck to your husband. That’s wonderful that he’s been doing so well. Do you guys ever check out the colon club? I go back and forth between this site and that one.</p>

<p>^^^^No, DH would never want to do that, but I might check it out. Thanks for the tip.</p>

<p>I’m finally due for my colonoscopy, but I will need to find a different center to have mine done. That’s something I’d rather not leave to my coworkers! :eek:</p>