COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

<p>

That’s just it - after the prep I’m filled to the brim with liquid - to the point of not always being able to finish that last glass or so and it threatening to come out the top end. It’s a LOT of liquid they want you to drink and I truly think it’s enough to keep me hydrated regardless of the ‘dehydration’ action occuring. But I’m sure this varies with the individual.</p>

<p>My veins are pretty easy to hit - they’ve never had no trouble with the IV. If I had vein troubles I might need to do it differently.</p>

<p>This morning I had my third colonoscopy and all of the suggestions in this thread were helpful, thanks to everyone who posted. (Lemon drops really work!) My mother died eleven years ago of colon cancer which is why I go every 5 years. Of course it is no fun and the prep can be miserable. But I feel great that I am doing everything I can to not develop colon cancer. As a matter of fact, I did have one small polyp which was removed. It is most likely benign and I am thankful to have it gone with no chance of developing into a problem down the road.</p>

<p>Please go and have a colonoscopy if you are recommended to do so. Do it for yourself and your loved ones because dying of colon cancer is for the most part, preventable.</p>

<p>I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Tuesday and will prep with three bottles of magnesium citrate Monday night. I started on a low residue diet today and first thing Monday switch to clear fluids. I just discovered I’m not supposed to have any coffee on Monday, does anyone know the rationale for that? I am going to be one incredibly cranky person Monday…</p>

<p>I was allowed coffee up to 2 hours before my procedure. You have my sympathy, is it too late to change doctors?;o)</p>

<p>second spring, I also was allowed coffee on the day of the procedure; I can’t remember how many hours before, but certainly on the same day. The only thing was, it had to be black coffee. Without cream, it was considered a clear liquid. You also can’t drink a bunch of it, because it’s a diuretic and they want you hydrated. But I vote you call them first thing Monday morning and ask.</p>

<p>So, I’m sitting here with my jug of Miralax/crystal light iced tea and watching the Yankee playoff game vs Detroit.
Trying to keep my mind off of the QUANTITY of liquid I have to get down.
Yankees down, but trying to come back in the bottom of the ninth.</p>

<p>My Dr. allows any of the clear liquids, including black coffee, up to 5 hrs before colonoscopy.
This is good for me since I’m not scheduled till TWO PM tomorrow…I can’t wait for it to be over.</p>

<p>I’d drink coffee black over no coffee at all. It’s all about the caffeine.</p>

<p>musicmom, good for you! I also had a mid-afternoon appointment and sincerely wished I’d scheduled a first-thing morning appointment, just so I didn’t have half the day to think about it. However, all I really remember now is the pleasant sleep drug. :)</p>

<p>Don’t think about the entire quantity of liquid; just think about the next dose and try to put the rest out of your mind. It’ll soon be over.</p>

<p>How’d it go, (no pun intended) musicmom?</p>

<p>Yep, all’s well that ends well, eh?
(Although seeing that ENORMOUS scope thing approaching my ‘end’ was scary!)</p>

<p>Hospital process and staff were wonderful.
I actually am an old hand at these…have UC so have to have colonoscopy every 3 yrs since forever.
It’s the prep that I never get used to…so now I HATE crystal light lemon (last time) and iced tea (this time)…I will be running out of flavors to mix that gosh awful miralax powder with.
My doc only has PM appts so I can’t avoid that…NO fluids from 6 am till procedure at 2 was and always will be rough. I felt light headed and spacey…could hardly answer the medical questions coherently at check in…
Yes, the sleep gas stuff is lovely!</p>

<p>Thanks for checking in on me!</p>

<p>And the public health message part: if you are over 50 yrs, please get a screening colonoscopy. It could save your life.</p>

<p>Musicmom–I have Crohn’s and I have had 8 colonoscopies. I now have to have them annually as I have had CD more than 20 yr.</p>

<p>Last time I used the slightly pink Gatorade; it was not red enough to make a difference with the color and it is kiwi-strawberry flavor, which I found much easier to get down.</p>

<p>For all of you, you may suck on hard candies the day before, especially if you are at work and getting a little peaked from not eating. Raising your blood sugar a bit really does help. Lemon drops, lime lollipops or any Lifesavers, as long as they are not red or purple or blue. Also you can eat gummi candies or “spearmint leaves” – when they get to your stomach they are a clear liquid. When they say no solids they mean foods like meat, bread, apples etc–not <em>clear</em> gelled or hard candy that dissolves when you suck on it. </p>

<p>I have learned that if you stop the solid foods earlier than the directions say, the prep is much easier & faster. I start a day early. I eat a light low fiber supper two nights before the procedure & the entire next day, no solids. I use chicken broth; you can buy the boxed “culinary” kind and blend it with “regular” canned broth for a different taste. You can also use beef broth and hard candies (as long as they are not red/purple/blue) and Jello. Ginger ale, sprite etc too, and I drink my coffee black anyway. </p>

<p>You are not supposed to be “fasting” like it is Yom Kippur or Ramadan, the day before! It is not a “fast,” it is abstaining from solids. You are supposed to go ahead and have all the clear liquids/Jello type things you want! Drinking them will help you to be hydrated during the prep.</p>

<p>There are people who damaged their kidneys irreparably by not drinking enough fluids before & during their preps. And don’t forget to drink more water to keep hydrated, during the evening after you have finished the prep drinks. As soon as the stuff begins to “work” you will be feeling less bloated and full. And you need the water to help keep the “cleansing action” going. </p>

<p>Your washer has a rinse cycle; you are doing the same thing when you drink more water after the prep drinks, so your colon can be cleaned well enough for a clear view. If you don’t drink enough water it is like you have only spun out the suds & dirt but did not rinse the clothes.</p>

<p>I put a nice scented candle in the bathroom; I stock it with sudoku, crosswords, a book, etc and I also bring in a low stool to set my feet on so my legs don’t go to sleep. Wet wipes and everything the others have said. You can use your iPod or have a radio in there too. Just realize you are going to spend the evening in the bathroom, that’s all!</p>

<p>I always ask for the first appt of the day; mine are done at the univ hospital. I also bring some crackers for the ride home just in case they don’t offer something I like. My husband drives me in–no driving allowed for the rest of the day & I can understand why. The anesthesia makes me very tired. </p>

<p>We have something gentle for lunch & dinner that night–maybe chicken breast and rice. You have to remember your colon has had a garden hose pushed through it and needs a little rest from fibrous things like broccoli, for a day or two. </p>

<p>Don’t anyone be scared of the procedure! I would rather do this every year than develop cancer & have it discovered too late.</p>

<p>Why so frequently JRZmom? My adult kid who has CD hasn’t had one in four years and the doctors don’t seem to be in a rush. I think they do them more frequently if there is disease in the colon versus further up as colon disease increases the risk of colon cancer. Or is it related to age?</p>

<p>It’s related to duration of the disease. I have probably had it most of my life, since my teens at least, though then the symptoms were joint pain, no intestinal things. The latter started in my late 30s & now I’m in my late 50s. </p>

<p>My disease is pan colitis though it is CD not UC (biopsies show). So I have the same cancer risk as the UC patients. And, since it is inflammation over a long period of time, the longer you have it, the more likely the inflammation can lead to precancerous changes. That is what they are looking for. Still does not mean it will happen–just they want to catch it early & not later, if it happens. Hence annual colonoscopies. The gastro I chose (after my old one retired last year) is at the U of Penn Hosp and he is the one who writes the textbooks on the disease, so I will go with his idea on how often!</p>

<p>There are other things CD can do elsewhere in your body; if you take immunosupressants take very good care of your teeth. </p>

<p>Best wishes to your adult kid!</p>

<p>I’m done, cleared for ten more years!</p>

<p>The hardest part was getting down 64 oz of fluids, 8 oz every ten minutes. But I did it. Walking around helped a lot. </p>

<p>Two days before I put myself on a low fiber diet - peeled boiled potatoes, white chicken meat, pasta, etc. For prep day I took a chicken carcass and threw it into my pressure cooker with onion, carrot, celery, seasoning, one hour later I strained it and had a few mugs of that. I made four boxes of lemon jello which I ate all day. I didn’t need the lemon drops, I just kept eating jello. I think next time I would get gummi kids vitamins because I do notice when I’m getting sugar overload and not nutrition. </p>

<p>The evening entertainment was a netbook in the bathroom with Netflix streaming. I chose ‘Jackass 2’ - appropriate, lol? because I needed something mindless. Jackass 1 was better…FWIW. There are days I need to regress to juvenile delinquency and this was one day I gave myself permission to do so.</p>

<p>I came home, turned off the phone ringers, and slept for three hours. Drugs administered were versed, demerol, and benadryl (?) because I apparently was waking up. </p>

<p>Good luck to all!</p>

<p>Your movie choice reminds me of the time I had a root canal and chose to watch “White Chicks”. Not sure what was worse… the procedure itself or the movie choice. When I was doing my every 10 minute intake of fluid prep, I was watching a compilation of “Millionaire Matchmaker” shows. I guess I have no room to PASS judgment.</p>

<p>Okay — I did it (almost 2 years later than I should have). Everything is good, and it wasn’t bad at all. I was asleep before my backside was even exposed, so I was oblivious to anything that went on. The Michael-Jackson-anesthesia was quick & easy, with no after effects. Happy to be done for 10 years.</p>

<p>kudos to kelsmom.
glad it was a good result for you and not so awful during the procedure either.
I get to have them every 3 years and find the prep terrible but the actual procedure fine especially with that lovely send me off to sleep stuff.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>At my facility, one’s backside is never exposed. The patient is on his side, always covered with a sheet and blanket, and only the physician inserting the scope has any need to see that part of the patient’s body. When it’s time to insert the scope, the physician lifts the covers only as much as is necessary to do so- the covers are then replaced and nothing is exposed to public view. We are very careful to preserve the dignity of our patients.</p>

<p>Hopefully your facility’s practice is the same. :)</p>

<p>Actually, I was told they do the same as your facility does … but I wouldn’t have known one way or the other! :)</p>

<p>And I want to say that I probably would have put it off longer had it not been for this thread. Thanks, CC!!</p>

<p>Oh, I just hate getting them but my aunt died of colon cancer and I seem to have inherited the “grow-polyps” gene so I have colonoscopies regularly, every three years. Hate the prep. Have tried them all. But so grateful that we have this test and means of halting cancer.</p>