COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

I would choose the earliest time. That’s always my preference when I don’t get to eat for a period of time before a procedure.

6 Likes

I looked at the prep instructions and chose the procedure times so I wouldn’t have to wake up at 3 am to drink the gawdawful swill. :slight_smile:

You can do this! :+1:

3 Likes

Good point. Plus, the place will be the cleanest.

2 Likes

Ha. And I liked the ones with the earlier wake up times since my alarm usually goes off at 3:50am during the work week. Mine wound up being a little later than that. But I didn’t sleep well for most of the night. Which isn’t a big problem for me… I’ve had plenty of nights (or a few every month for as long as I can remember) like that over the years and function fine the next day.

Okay, you all have me convinced. 7:00 it is. I will report back when it’s scheduled to keep me motivated.

5 Likes

You may not be able to look at the prep instructions before you schedule the appointment, but something to consider - in my case I took the earliest appointment and it turned out to be the worst choice. I had to start the second round of drinking 5 hours before the procedure (so, 3 am) but at that point I was still up and down with the results of the first round. So all in all I got about one hour of sleep that night. For me the 11:30 would have let me get a little more of a nap in.

Based on my experience, I wouldn’t worry about the hunger factor - in my case I felt plenty full from all the gatorade solution.

But all in all, it’s a once every 3 to 10 year problem, so take what you can get. Your prep may be on a different timetable and all this wouldn’t apply.

2 Likes

I agree – choose the earliest time, even though it’s an inconvenience. One of the problems with taking a later time is that if one of the earlier patients has an issue and takes longer, the doctor’s schedule will get backed up and you’ll be waiting longer than you anticipated.

3 Likes

These are all good points…

I’m actually better at forgoing sleep than food :wink:. I’m a night owl who doesn’t mind getting up in the night or early morning, as long as I have a good book. Going without food is worse because I like to eat six times a day instead of three, and I’ve had some killer heartburn on an empty stomach. Also, migraines. But, they said I can take Nexium and Imitrex. so it should be fine.

1 Like

Scheduling an early morning appointment for my 3rd colonoscopy was suggested by my GI physician, who said my difficulties getting back to normal for about 2 weeks after my 2nd colonoscopy (an afternoon appointment) may have been due to dehydration. I felt fine after my 3rd procedure, but I also had a different prep so that may have helped, too. For my 4th and hopefully last (I will be 77) procedure, I’ll again schedule an early morning appointment.

1 Like

Hah! The prep made me stay awake (on the bathroom floor) after the initial mishap …

1 Like

The colonoscopy itself is not bad since you will be out for the festivities. The night before when you are taking the witch’s brew to clear your GI tract, however, is less than fun. Plan on interrupted sleep and many trips to the restroom.

5 Likes

“witch’s brew” – hah!

1 Like

There is a scene in one of the Harry Potter movies (… and the Half-Blood Prince?) where Dumbledore needs to drink some unpleasant potion in a cave, I think in finding one of the horcrux’s. I always thought that this scene was inspired by colonoscopy prep.

I just scheduled my next colonoscopy, and am very glad to be getting this done again. I had a pre-cancerous polyp removed about 13 years ago, and I am really glad that it did not have the intervening 13 years to grow.

4 Likes

That’s the Emerald Potion, otherwise known as the Drink of Despair :smile:.

I will think of that scene when I have to drink mine before my (now scheduled) procedure at the end of June.

2 Likes

I almost posted the scene from The Right Stuff where Alan Shepard is running down the hallway of the hospital wearing a hospital gown with an enema tube in his nether regions, but I thought someone might be offended.

Every time I am scheduled for a colonoscopy, I come back to this thread. Truly appreciate all the advice and helpful information here. My mother died of colon cancer at age 68, so I have been on the five year plan for some time. Two days ago I had another one, this time I was given the SuTab pills which for me were a big improvement over the liquid preps. The doctor found and removed 5 precancerous polyps this time, one was rather large (20mm) and the wait for the biopsy report was difficult. Fortunately, everything was benign. I have to repeat in 6 months and will now be a member of the 3 year club. As hard as all the prep work is, I am truly grateful to be able to have this procedure and hopefully avoid colon cancer. Thanks again to everyone for sharing their experiences.

9 Likes

So glad for your success atory!

As I wrote before, I had SuTab for my end-of-March colonoscopy, and it didn’t clean me out enough. (I’d had 2 colonoscopies prior without any issues.) No polyps were found, but I am now on the 3-year plan instead of the 5-year plan (which I was on because my father had colon cancer at age 88-almost-89) because of the subpar prep. I hope to graduate back to the 5-year plan after my next colonoscopy in 3 years.

2 Likes

If you are elevated risk enough to go back in 3 years, will you do FIT in years 1 and 2 just in case?

No. I have to come back in 3 years only because it was suboptimal cleanout. No polyps were found, nor were any polyps found in my two previous colonoscopies. Interestingly, when my H had his last colonoscopy, his cleanout was suboptimal AND some small polyps were removed, yet his doctor kept him on the 5-year schedule and didn’t want him back in 3 years.

Sorry to hear the SuTab was not effective. Our bodies are all so different, aren’t they? The pills worked very well in my situation and the reason I wanted to try them is I tend to gag on the liquid prep (Golightly) and am unable to keep it down. Just glad there are options. I understand there is even premade food you can order and the prep is contained with the meal.

Whatever it takes to get through this procedure is completely worth it. Colon Cancer is a horrible diagnosis, so I encourage everyone to find a way to get their colonoscopies. Also, try to have a sense of humor about the complete loss of dignity. We are all in this boat together.

3 Likes