COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

<p>Nothing is worse than having to down a gallon of yellow Gatorade.</p>

<p>IT never occured to me to ask about the anesthesiologist! I am having this procedure done on Wed (this week) so I’ll be calling the hosp tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.</p>

<p>My dad had surgery for stage 2 colon cancer earlier this year. He had never had a colonoscopy. Ever. So DH and I were motived to have this procedure done. I will be so glad when it is over.
DH had his done serveral weeks ago. No extra bill so far, but I will still call tomorrow.</p>

<p>I think the title of this thread has the wrong preposition. </p>

<p>I think the title of this thread has the wrong preposition. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Golytely is still around, as is Nulytely and Halflytely. All similar products. LOTS of volume. I knew I would barf before I could get it all down, so was thrilled my doc uses Prepopik. </p>

<p>However, lots of docs prefer the -lytely products because they are very effective, and tried and true over the long haul. Not all of the other preps will get a clean result to the same degree. In other words, the -lytelys clean out everyone who can get it down, while the preps with less volume may not work as well for ALL patients. </p>

<p>I had a patient recently who used another product and didn’t get cleaned out. The doc could not see all the way to the cecum, so this patient will be asked to come back much sooner than if the doc had seen everything and found no polyps. The patient asserted that all instructions were followed, so the doc responded, “Okay, then next time we go with Golytely.”</p>

<p>I knew that not all patients get totally cleaned out with prepopik, so I altered my diet accordingly and did the mag citrate the day before I started the prep (with doc’s knowledge and agreement). And, as said before, some docs will prescribe an extra Dulcolax tab in addition. For me personally, my version of the prep was preferable to drinking liters of “lime flavored sweat.” I shudder at the thought.</p>

<p>@Nrdsb4: You mentioned taking one or two Dulcolax tablets. On my last go-'round, my doc’s office prescribed five Dulcolax tablets and 8 ounces of magnesium citrate. It was very easy to take, but I had significant problems overnight. Didn’t get much sleep and wound up being extremely dehydrated. Hearing you talk about taking one or two Dulcolax, I wonder if five is way too many. Opinion??</p>

<p>ETA: BTW, my doc said my prep worked terrific, and that I was very “clean.”</p>

<p>OP here. I am glad this thread has not went “down to the bowl”/ ^^^</p>

<p>I think Golytely is fine, as long as you sit on it while taking it and read a good book along with it, you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>Glad to have resurrected your thread!
Ive entered the “nothing by mouth” phase for my procedure at 2:30pm today.
Its torture remembering what to eat/not eat, drink/not drink from saturday midnight now.
DS will drive me to hospital as well as pickup later
ive got that light headed dehydrated thing going on and would rather not drive even the few miles to the hospital.
Looking forward to my nap at home later this afternoon!</p>

<p>I have not been able to complete a colonoscopy yet because I throw up the liquid as soon as I swallow. I had the same problem with a Barium contrast solution for a CAT scan several years ago. I showed up for the scan just to tell them I couldn’t get the solution down and, reluctantly (due to insurance restrictions), they gave me an 8 oz. cup of what tasted exactly like Kool-Aid and worked just as well.</p>

<p>I will be trying the pill form to get the colonoscopy completed as I should have had one way before now.</p>

<p>Nrdsb, good info #404. The Golytely did its job very well in terms of cleanout. You put your finger on the big problem: getting it down. It wasn’t so bad at first, but by the time I was halfway through the prep, I was gagging. The only thing that got me though it was the knowledge that if I bombed out, I’d have to reschedule the procedure and go through all of that anxiety again, AND another prep. I’m really glad I stuck it out, because I got the 10-year card.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well, that’s not a regime any of our docs prescribe, but I’m not qualified to say whether or not it is “too many.” I personally would refuse that prep because even one Dulcolax is hard on me. You obviously didn’t take well to it. There are just so many other options, that if it were me, the next time I would tell him I can’t tolerate it and would like to try one of the other colon preps available on the market.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yay YOU!! I’m jealous. No really, I hate you. :D</p>

<p>:P</p>

<p>Glad to hear everyone’s scope has gone well. Hubby went in for his first scope, came out with a clean colon but stage 2 rectal cancer. Luckily, its only stage 2 but it goes to show that scopes are very important as my hubby had zero symptoms before his colonoscopy.</p>

<p>^^^Sorry to hear that, but yes, stage 2 is still early enough to dodge a major bullet!</p>

<p>Having my first and hopefully my only one on Nov. 3rd.</p>

<p>Good luck, @VaBluebird. You’ll find it’s not that big a deal. Just the prep. The procedure itself is a big nothing. </p>

<p>Well, I start the prep in a couple hours. fingers crossed that I can deal with it!</p>

<p>In the meanwhile, I learned something interesting that my be useful to others on this forum. I read another poster mention that the anesthesiologists that her hosp used were not in her network. You can can choose an in-network doc and hosp but still get a bill from the anesthesiologist. So, I called the hosp to ask who’d be doing the anesthesia and got the name of the practice. Then I called my insurance co. What I learned was that they understand that I can not choose who will do this, so as long as I choose an in-network doc and hosp, that they will automatically cover the anesthesiologist. She said that it’s possible to get a bill from the anesthesiologist if they send a bill before the hosp bill reaches the insurance co. The insurance co will reject it and assume that it’s out of network (since there is no hosp bill to link it to). So she instructed me to call if I end up with a bill from the anesthesiologist and they will take care of it. She told me that they understand that you can not choose your anesthesiologist. But the bottom line is that they’d cover it. BTW, my insurer is Ameri-Health (NJ). </p>

<p>This is a great weight off my mind. </p>

<p>@ChuckleDoodle‌ sorry to hear that - best wishes for your H’s treatment & recovery.
@bookreader‌ that’s very helpful to know about the insurance.</p>

<p>Just curl up with a good book or movie, and don’t wander far from the bathroom. :slight_smile: VH is right, the procedure itself is a big nothing. In fact, I have pleasant associations about it because the aftereffects of the anesthesia were so fun!</p>

<p>Great news about the anesthesiologist. </p>