COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

<p>

If you have Netflix and an iPad, you don’t even have to leave the bathroom.</p>

<p>I picked up a new Agatha Christie book (The Monogram Murders) to read today.
And I downloaded a few new books on my ipad, so I think I’m ready. :slight_smile:
Thanks!</p>

<p>I am sure I am in the minority here but I find the worst part the delayed onset nausea I get from the anesthesia. Much worse than the prep!</p>

<p>I have only ever had anesthesia once and that was over 20 years ago. I had no problem with it at that time, but I’m sure that I’ll have a different anesthesia this time so my response may be different. Everything about this experience will be new to me. </p>

<p>The prep wasn’t that bad for me. The difficult part was that my body was so cleaned out that nothing happened for a couple of weeks. I had a 10k race coming up, so I decided to “help” nature by taking a laxative two days before the event. Unfortunately, the drug started working the morning of the race. It was my first DNF (did not finish). I ended up riding in an ambulance behind the LAST runner. It took us 2 hours, 20 minutes to go 6.2 miles.</p>

<p>Even with that, I am thankful I had the colonoscopy, because they removed a large polyp that had a good chance of turning cancerous. What is a little inconvenience compared to getting cancer???</p>

<p>I took some sort of tablet because I told the doctor that there was no way I was going to drink a gallon of nasty tasting liquid. I don’t drink soft drinks, and generally don’t like sweet drinks at all. I assume I was clean enough since I wasn’t asked to come back any time soon.</p>

<p>Having just, ahem, had one of these, here’s my advice (and i have to tell you that it was incredibly easy):

1. stop eating all meat 5 days before procedure
  2. start all-liquid diet 3 days before
  3. start all-liquid <em>clear</em> diet 24 hours before
  4. Make that prep drink cold, cold, cold.
  5. voila.
  6. seriously. </p>

<p>re: #2, nope, no can do. I didn’t do that and I got perfectly prepped.</p>

<p>I think it’s important to follow instructions given by the doctor, to the letter. </p>

<p>I’ll add my voice to the chorus that the prep is worse than the procedure. And in truth, the prep wasn’t fun, but it wasn’t all that awful either. I was given Suprep to take the day before. I had no after effect from the anesthesia.
I did not stop eating meat in advance of the prep and I still was able to flush out just fine with the Suprep. I’m sure we are all different in that area. </p>

<p>I ate regularly on Monday, Began a clear liquid diet on Tues and at 4pm that day began the Suprep procedure. Had the procedure Wed am. No problems at all.</p>

<p>Now I get to eat!</p>

<p>Congratulations! </p>

<p>Thanks @LasMa‌ !</p>

<p>Food taste MUCH Better after your system is CLEANed…</p>

<p>So, I think I’ve posted in here before, but I have Crohn’s Disease so this is annual for me. As an added bonus, when you go in for a bowel resection, you also get to do prep. I have typically gotten very nauseous from the liquids and got pills a few times. This year, the doc says “no pills, they do kidney damage” so for the scope I did the miralax/ducolax/gatorade. I think I would have been fine except I chose a sickly sweet gatorade. I won’t make that mistake again. </p>

<p>For the surgery, it is more essential that the entire colon and small intestine are pristinely clean to avoid infection and the surgeon says that means it has to be -Lytely. So I have a gallon jug of powder that will need to be mixed. I understand it is salty but that adding Crystal Light Lemonade to it helps. I have to start at 8 am and finish by 1 pm so I can then take massive doses of antibiotics over the next several hours during the afternoon/evening. Prep is the 16th and surgery is the 17th. Then I will be on nothing but IVs for a few days, until they hear bowel sounds again. Then I get clear liquids- last time the first thing I had was a grape popsicle and it was the best tasting popsicle ever. EVER. Then I get liquids- which means things like pureed chicken soup. Then I get soft foods and once I have a movement I get to go home. It is expected that will be 4 to 6 days. I’m already freaking about that prep though. </p>

<p>BarnardMom, many patients have told me that if you make the -lytely really cold, it goes down ever so much better.</p>

<p>You are a pro at this; I doubt this one will throw you any curve balls. </p>

<p>GOOD luck, and I hope your recovery goes very smooth.</p>

<p>@2016BarnardMom, are you having a bowel resection? What is the goal of that surgery??</p>

<p>Yes, I’m having a resection. I have a narrowing that led to a total obstruction and hospitalization in July '13. New meds have alleviated the active disease (per biopsy and colonoscopy evidence) but have not alleviated the narrowing so they suspect it is scar tissue from the previous surgery or from previous active disease that has healed. My GI tried to do a balloon procedure to open the area back up but it wouldn’t work because the narrowing is too long. My first resection, in 2003, removed about a foot of colon and a couple feet of terminal ileum (as well as the appendix because it’s attached to all that) and I had a 10 inch vertical incision. This narrowing is at that surgical site. This time it will probably be less than a foot and they’ll do it laparoscopically with possibly 1 additional small incision- 2 to 3 inches. While I’m open, my GI will scope me to see if there are any other trouble areas in spaces he hasn’t been able to see before. It’s a thing this surgeon and GI have started doing jointly in the OR. </p>

<p>Nrdsb4- I have a very hard time keeping the large volume liquid preps down. I’m really dreading that part. </p>

<p>Not only is making the drink as cold as possible helpful, but eating a few ice cubes before drinking helps dull the taste buds… then eating a couple of more when you’re done with that particular drink event. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Ah, I see. Yeah, I think I would struggle with that.</p>

<p>Crossing my fingers it all goes well for you.</p>

<p>Good luck, @2016BarnardMom.</p>