COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

Agree, NRE, it is very irritating. I was relieved that my hospital is kind of large and can afford to have in-network this and that. Labs are always a hit or a miss though.

I have the most trouble with out of network radiologists in an in-network hospital. Iā€™ve actually gone a few rounds with a local hospital CEO over the hospital using out of network labs and radiologists. This is the only hospital in the county and ~80% of the people in this county are insured by Anthem. He told me the hospital has no control. Yeahā€¦rightā€¦like they donā€™t negotiate those things :frowning:

A year goes by and thereā€™s a big local blowup. What do you know? The hospital manages to get everyone that works with them in network. I hate being an insurance and special ed trailblazer! I do find it difficult to believe my kid or my medical woes are so uniqueā€“they arenā€™t.

My husbands lab results are back and everything is benign. I am in tears of relief. I was definitely expecting the worst.

He has to have a follow up colonoscopy in 6 months. Heā€™s not thrilled but so much better than the other scenario.

OMG, hugs @swimcatsmom! Happy news. My fingers are crossed for the procedure 6 months down the road.

The OON anesthesiologists, radiologists and labs at IN hospitals is what scares me most about only having EPO benefits on individual plans in our state.

@swimcatsmom - I am so glad to hear the good news!

@swimcatsmom: That is fantastic. Both you and your DH must be soooooooo relieved. I think you need to do something special to celebrate. Another colonoscopy in six months?? Iā€™d take that over cancer any day of the week.

Thanks everyone. Yes, itā€™s a huge relief. I really was expecting the worst. Partly because when you have been through cancer already I think you never get rid of that fear. Partly because the doctor was so palpably concerned. We have been to him before and he is usually pretty matter of fact and we both definitely could feel his worry this time (he was the same doc that diagnosed H with esophageal cancer 6 years ago - next Wednesday).

I told my husband the colonoscopy in 6 months (or even every 6 months) is a whole lot better than cancer.

Initial consult and tentative colonoscopy set for December. Adulting.

@rockvillemom, thatā€™s wonderful! Thanks for letting us know.

Awesome, @rockvillemom. I am just like you - being put under anesthesia was anathema to me, as I have a high pain threshold. Of course I was fine. It ended up being a trial run of sorts for my future surgery (not related to colonoscopy) which required much longer anesthesia. Good luck!

Great news @swimcatsmom! Whew! Seeing this thread pop up a lot reminded me to check my file as I had a polyp removed 3 years ago and am due for a repeat. So I called today (the office apparently uses some off site answering location for scheduling and I was on hold for 25 minutes!) and am scheduled for Dec. 8. I canā€™t wait. Oh waitā€¦ yes I can. :slight_smile:

They wanted to schedule me for the day after I was seeing a David Crosby in concert in a small venue. Not a good night to prep!

@swimcatsmom - add me to those who are thankful you got good news.
I talked with my sister who is 55. She has not had one and said that she keeps getting the kit to do a fecal test from Kaiser. She said she has about 7 of them in her bathroom. I was surprised her Dr was pushing that over the colonoscopy.
Iā€™m already feeling nervous about doing mine. This thread is helping push me to do what I know needs to be done.

I have had 5 colonoscopies since 1999 (family history) and I dread them for months ahead because I hate the prep, but it is such a good feeling to have done it after the fact and to know I have an all clear. I had 2 polyps on the 4th one, but this last one in June was all clear and I have a 5 year pass. I understand the reluctance, but knowledge is power whether the news is good or bad. The prep has gotten better for the last 2 and I expect things to continue to improve based on what the nurse told me in June about the various options in the works.

The prep isnā€™t a lot of fun, but itā€™s only one day/night out of your life. And it can save your life.

Eleven years ago this coming January I learned at a colonoscopy that I had cancer. In the weeks that followed countless tests revealed that it was stage 4 rectal cancer. I was 48 at the time and I had a colonoscopy because I found some blood in my stool that I assumed was hemorrhoids. Iā€™m still in the fight and doing well.

Thank God I went for that colonoscopy.

Glad you are still with us! It has been difficult for me to accept the concept that you could feel completely fine, have no symptoms and have colon or rectal cancer. But apparently that is the case, so, I am joining the colonoscopy club.

My sister, age 51, is having hers this month. She made a funny comment that in her 40s, sheā€™d get together with her friends and discuss sex. In her 50s, colonoscopy has become the big topic.

@rockvillemom - I have a friend whose birthday is right after new year, and she has had an annual party. She commented that we used to talk about new years eve ā€œpersonal thingsā€, and now we talk about medicare!

@swimcatsmom Congratulations to your DHā€™s free from colon cancer.
@rockvillemom I am glad that with this thread, you at least will explore the colonoscopy potential.

@rockvillemom Thank you. I honestly had no symptoms. I was at a routine physical with a really great nurse practitioner. At the end of the appointment she asked if I had any questions or concerns. I mentioned that I thought I had a hemorrhoid or something because every now and then I noticed a small amount of blood. She did a FOBT which did show some bleeding and so she ordered a colonoscopy. Colorectal cancer was the last thing on my radar. Most people have no symptoms.