COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

@ams5796, how great that you asked the question 11 years ago.

I’m curious to know others’ experience…I had my colonoscopy at 50 and had a couple of polyps removed. I was told everything was fine and to come back in 7 years. During my physical with my primary last year, this issue came up and she told me that I could go back after 10. I plan to have my second at the 7 year mark but I’m wondering how long others have been told to wait after polyps have been removed. I’m not asking because I want to delay; I’m just wondering how much subjectivity there is/how much things vary.

At 65, they found 2 polyps. I was told to redo in 5 years. Maybe it is a question f size?

At 55-ish (my first colonoscopy) they found one polyp and told me to come back in three years. Since then, no polyps, but I’ve been on an every-five-year schedule.

They told me it would either be 3 years or 5 years depending on the lab results - I think he said there are different types of polyps and which type would dictate the schedule. After labs came back they said 5.

Dh will be going for his 4th next year. At his first one when he was 50, a polyp was found and he was told to have another in 3 years. At the 2nd colonoscopy, no polyp and he was told to come back in 5 years, but I think he stretched it out to 6. At the 3rd colonoscopy they found a polyp, so he’s supposed to go back in 3 years, which would be in 2018

I think I hit 5 years in May, but I haven’t heard a peep from the gastroenterologist. I thought I was supposed to go back in 5 years. I was very groggy. She said there was one small polyp, but they lost it inside me. At least that’s what I think she said. I was paranoid it wasn’t being tested.

I guess this thread will get me to call to find out what really transpired 5 years ago. My primary care doctor thinks I can wait till 7 years, but I have a history of ovarian cancer, so little as I want to go, I know how much better preventing cancer is than treating it.

@Barbalot, did the doc discuss your results with whoever was there to drive you? If he only told a groggy patient what the findings and recommendations were, I’d definitely give him a call.

Maybe I’ll call my GI too. Everyone with a polyp is saying 5 years or less…definitely less than my 7. The thought that I could have a precancerous growing inside of me just makes me crazy. It’s been 6 years.

My upcoming one will be my third. Just ordered the “prep”. Yuk. First one was fine- told to redo in ? 5 years, IIRC. But, if I had my first at 50, it would have been 10 years before I redid. Can’t recallwhen my first one was. Second one found a polyp (benign) . Told to come back in 3 years. I go back next month. Have used 2 different docs. Neither office sent me a “reminder”. This thread was my “reminder”.

“Neither office sent me a “reminder”. This thread was my “reminder””

I know the sticky is crowded, but I still propose if this thread can be moved to sticky in the Parent Cafe. This is a thread can save lives of the “Parents” and its very doable in fighting cancer by raise the awareness of the “Parents”.

It really wasn’t bad. Definitely the worst is the prep the night before. I drank the second dose too fast and ended up throwing it back up but luckily the first dose cleaned me out and it didn’t affect the colonoscopy. When I arrived for the colonoscopy, I told the doctor I was really nervous (I have a fear of anesthesia- that I’ll never wake up) and he gave me a shot of something that made me feel very mellow and not worried at all. My husband had a colonoscopy a few weeks later and thank goodness he did as he had like 5 precancerous growths (and he was only around 42 at the time).

I’m scheduled for next Monday. I’m already feeling nervous. I’ve put it off for 7 years!

Hang in there, mom60. You will do fine. You are a brave person to schedule this for Cyber Monday! I would not have eaten much on Thanksgiving in fears of not being properly prepped. :slight_smile:

@mom60, I agree, you’ll be fine! It’s really not a big deal. And if it saves your life??

My 45-year-old friend with stage III colon cancer just had surgery after chemo and radiation. She will have to wear a bag for awhile. She was disappointed that 2 of her lymph nodes are cancerous. :frowning: She is kicking herself for not DEMANDING a colonoscopy when she first had symptoms a couple of years ago - her doctor attributed them to nerves after a family crisis.

@MaineLonghorn How about put this thread as a stickie? I think it is so important for the “Parents” that even one person can be saved by this thread, we are doing a worthwhile service to the CC community.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sister had her colonoscopy today - clean findings - no polyps. Said the prep was the worst part - found the lemon lime mixture atrocious. But she got through it. Her results and no family history make me think this test is unnecessary for me, but keeping the appt for now.

I had mine on Monday. I did Suprep for the prep. I didn’t mind the water but the mixture was hard to get down without gagging. I was anxious going in but the staff and Dr were great. I was able to keep my glasses so I could see the screen. I could have fallen asleep and might have at some points. For the most part I didn’t feel it but there were a few sections where it was a bit painful but not unbearable. One polyp removed. They will let me know the pathology and depending on that I will go back in 5 or 10 years. Arrived at 8:30am for check in for a 9 am procedure. I was walking out just after 10 am. Went out to breakfast and home for the rest of the day. I took a long nap as I think the sedative was still in my system.
I’m glad I did it. I’m 57 and it was my first.

Was supposed to have a colonoscopy this past Wed., but at 3:20 pm the gastro called to cancel. Anesthesiologist wouldn’t go ahead without a recent defibrillator check (last one was June), and neither my previous nor my current cardio would sign off (had a check scheduled for mid-Dec.). Happily, this happened 40 minutes before I was supposed to start drinking the vile stuff.

This will be my third – had the first three years ago, had several polyps removed, had significant GI bleeding six months later that landed me in the hospital (very unusual side effect of my chemo) and they found more polyps. I’m assuming they will find more and I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it’s otherwise.

Only 5 to 10 percent of colon cancers are a direct result of heredity. I had no history of colon cancer in my family yet I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.

I am so sorry to hear that and hope you are doing ok. That’s why I am going forward with the colonoscopy.