COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

Mine is this coming Monday. :frowning:

My husband used Clenpiq recently and had no difficulty getting it down (2 small bottles taken hours apart, cranberry flavored.) He did say it was salty. It worked fine-- he was well cleaned out.

Thanks, @CTmom2018 !

Good luck, @VeryHappy

Thanks.

I’m almost 70, but I’m on the five-year plan. I suspect this will be my second-to-last one. I wish it were my last one!

I do highly recommend trying the low residue diet for a day or two before the clear liquid diet, if you’ve ever had any concerns about getting clean in time for the procedure.

I try to follow a very low carb diet, so having “permission” to eat mashed potatoes, white toast, and mac and cheese was a nice treat. :slight_smile:

I will add this: you will *need *2 hours to drink the 24-40 oz. of liquids required after the second dose. e.g. If you aren’t allowed to drink anything after 4 a.m., take the 2nd dose at 2 a.m.

My instructions were to take the 2nd dose of Prepopik at 3 a.m. and then consume 40 oz. of liquids before 4 a.m., and nothing after that. But I read enough online to realize I could not drink 40 oz. in 1 hour. So I took the 2nd dose an hour earlier, at 2 a.m. Even so I barely got the 40 oz. of liquids down before my cutoff time.

With Clenpiq my H only had to drink 24 oz. of liquids after the 2nd dose. He followed my example and took the 2nd dose an hour earlier than the instructions said, and found that he needed all the extra time to drink those 24 oz.

Drinking the liquids is essential to avoid going into the procedure dehydrated. But you need time to do it.

Also, my husband just reminded me to say this: ask your doctor for a sample of the prep solution. It is expensive if you have to buy it, if your insurance doesn’t cover it. My husband and I were both given samples.

I’m afraid that if I were given samples of any of the preps from my three procedures , I would have run for the hills. I only gagged them down because I had done a three day low fiber (fun, steak, eggs and white rice) followed by a full day of clear liquids. At that point I was 20% committed.

FIT results were negative and returned in 9 days. Definitely a streamlined process.

Educational alert :

Lynch syndrome. Typically in Jewish population with family history of colon polyp or cancer. This is not rare just heavily under diagnosed. Usually starts in a younger population for colon cancer. If history of colon polyps or cancer get genetic testing and have colonoscopy. Why? If you have Lynch syndrome your chances of getting cancer go up from 5% general population to 50-85%. Most colon cancer caught “early” are curable. Unfortunately, if you have the gene then “yearly” colonoscopy is important and can be life saving. For women having a hysterectomy after child bearing is done will prevent ovarian and other cancers linked to Lynch. Again, since genetic testing is not done this goes very under diagnosed. It is not rare but common and people are dying of colon cancer/ovarian that can be prevented. For Lynch syndrome you have to use a blue dye to view “flat” polyps
 Also a virtual colonoscopy does not help catch them. I hope this saves someone’s life.

https://www.webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/lynch-syndrome-get-the-facts

Oh goodness, I didn’t mean a sample to taste beforehand! I meant the actual prep itself, but instead of your having to buy it, the doctor gives you a boxed sample from the manufacturer, identical to what you would have to buy. It’s the full prep amount and you take it when actually prepping.

Well that makes more sense. Sorry for mis-reading!

:slight_smile:

I’m just back from my procedure. All went well; he didn’t find anything.

Unfortunately he says that because I had a few polyps at my first rodeo – which was 18 years ago – I will always be on the five-year plan. And, they now say that you shouldn’t stop when you’re 75, because people live so much longer these days. We’ll see. One thing at a time.

I’m not sure I can imagine doing that prep when I’m in my 80s.

VH

I bet this 91 year old can! :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKDrOWdxLQo

https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/RecommendationStatementFinal/colorectal-cancer-screening2 suggests that colon cancer screening* for people age 76-85 “should be an individual one, taking into account the patient’s overall health and prior screening history” and that “Screening would be most appropriate among adults who 1) are healthy enough to undergo treatment if colorectal cancer is detected and 2) do not have comorbid conditions that would significantly limit their life expectancy.”

*Colonoscopy is one of several possible options for colon cancer screening discussed on that page.

The docs at my endoscopy center often had that conversation with elderly patients. They suggested that the patient consider the factors above before deciding to come back again.

My Dad had a stroke after his last colonoscopy because he was advised to get off his blood thinner for almost two weeks after multiple polyps had been removed. He has a-fib, and his cardiologist was livid when he heard how long Dad had been told to stay off his coumadin. Fortunately, his permanent deficits are few and minor. But he says he will never again have a colonoscopy, and I support that choice, particularly since his polyps were completely benign rather than pre-cancerous lesions.

The colonoscopy physician did not consult with the cardiologist and primary care physician before making that recommendation?

^^^^Nope.

I didn’t learn about any of this until after the fact.

^^The lack of care coordination fries my cookies. I’ve seen it for two decades with my daughter, and will heartily reaffirm it after spending the last month in cardiac ICU with H and a cardiologist, nephrologist, pulmonologist, and intensivist.

It is like some doctors became so specialized they can’t think beyond their regular “turf.”