COLUMBIA TRANSFER: Fall 2021

lolll still haven’t started my essays

1 Like

oop idk how to post things without replying

1 Like

I dropped my pharmacology class as I was taking 6 science classes this semester and was having trouble with the load. I dropped it before the drop deadline so no grade will be reported and nothing will show up on my transcript. However, I submitted my Columbia app a few weeks ago, should I call them to let them know, and do you think it will affect my chances of getting in?

1 Like

The tracking system is prob just slow but I’m pretty nervous how it has not updated my documents accordingly yet. I had my current uni send in the Transfer Report a month ago (before I even submitted Coalition) and the tracking system doesn’t register it. I haven’t even been assigned a Columbia ID yet. Reached out to the office but didn’t receive a reply in time. Would appreciate any guidance or simply hear about any similar experience!

1 Like

Hey guys! Does anyone know if it would help us to write the Coalition Essay or they don’t even read that?

I say follow the rule of thumb: Anything “optional” is mandatory lol

Hi everyone! I’m confident that I have about a 0% chance of getting in, but I’m applying as a rising junior transfer because Columbia is my dream school and I would kick myself if I didn’t even try.

Stats:
HS GPA: 3.559 (Weighted. I know lol)
College GPA: 3.6 (Yep. I know)
SAT: 1320
Major: Economics
EC: President of school’s investment club and one other finance-related club. Since the start of college, I’ve interned at a venture capital firm, two hedge funds, and I’m working in the investment banking division of a top bulge bracket investment bank this summer.

Hi everyone, international transfer from NYU here, applying for applied math. Any other international transfer?

I am also an international student applying for electrical engineering.

I think I have less than 5% possibility of getting in due to international student identity plus my race, but I will still try.

where are you transfering from?

NYU, New York University

I mean regardless of who you are, transferring is close to impossible if that helps. Ik a couple of international students who transferred to Columbia this fall, so thats a great sign for you guys.

1 Like

Are there fewer transfer students this year? I remember there were much much more people in the Columbia transfer 2020 thread last year.

Hi everyone! I am a freshman and am trying to transfer out of my current school.
I applied to Columbia as a Sociology major cause that’s my main reason of transferring. I submitted the application on time but haven’t got the portal yet

Hi! I’m a rising junior who applied for transfer, and I haven’t received any information about my portal yet either! I submitted everything on time too.

I feel they haven’t sent the portal email yet. We’re good!

Hi, had a question for you guys. It says that they would waive standardized test for transfer applicants that have not taken it. I have a 29… what should I do

hi i applied for transfer too and i just thought i’d share my stats or whatever. i’ve never done this before (share stats thing) even when i applied to schools as a freshman so please be kind. im applying as a sophomore and i did not apply to columbia the first time around

major: CS

sat: 1490

gpa: i went to two high schools the first one i had a 3.8 UW and 4.25 W and the second one i had a 3.2 UW (it didnt offer AP’s so no weighted) college gpa: 4.0

awards n stuff: the normal just like state scholar, ap scholar, deans list, first in a regional competition, and a finalist national title (awaiting decisions)

ECs: high school student council (hall senator, VP) & Undergrad StudGov (Freshman rep) super highly involved in that
cross country & track - went to regionals and sectionals & was co-capt
i provide free tutoring for latinos for math and cs in my community
i’ve been doing traditional mexican dancing for a long time and teach a class
cs internship with a small company
i am an essential worker at my local grocery store
i am a freshman rep in my colleges women in stem club
fbla
mentor for kids with disabilities in hs
i was a save the children- action network representative and club president, went to summit in dc
i work and volunteer at a childrens camp over the summer
SHPE member
made a fidget app for my autistic little sister
did research with a professor at my second high school on drug discovery

essays and miscellaneous: latina and part indigenous mexican which apparently counts as native american since mexico is part of the americas, reason for transfer: my dad says he will stop supporting autistic little sister (she has a very rare genetic disorder and he is abusive/neglectful of her, i’ve spent my whole life taking care of her) when she turns 18 and so i will support her after college and the school i’m at right now requires me to have quite a bit of debt so in order to take care of her, i will need to transfer to a less expensive school. the school i’m currently at is a little less than 30% acceptance rate and i genuinely like it there but i am dedicated to my sister and giving her a better life so i need to do what i need to do.

essays: i talked about my reason for transferring and what i want to do for a career which is Civic tech. overall i dont think they were too amazing maybe a 6/10. but i am a good writer generally so i might be being harsh on myself there

recs:

1. my CS teacher for data structures - pretty good? (read)
  2. my MVC teacher - said she wrote the best one she could? (didnt read)
  3. my academic advisor wrote a good rec specific to columbia (didnt read)
  4. undergrad stud gov director wrote me an incredible letter of rec specific to columbia (read)

dont ask how i had 4 letters of rec because i dont know, im sure they will throw one out when they put my app together

i’m expecting to be rejected because of my low GPA from my second high school and i’m havent done anything “incredible”

anyone know Columbia’s transfer decision notification date?