COLUMBIA TRANSFER: Fall 2021

GPA: 3.87 (from WA community college) applied to the political science major.

EC: Organizer of the COVID-19: Relief Fund for Undocumented People, District Intern for U.S. Congresswoman, Student Government President, PPIA Public Service Weekend at UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs, City of Seattle Covid testing/vaccination site, and other internships with voting/immigrant rights Nonprofits.

Honors and distinctions: 3 district scholarships /PTK All Academic South Scholarship / Ncore national scholarship

SAT: N/A

Essays: I wrote about creating a GoFundMe and raising $80k with the support of two community organizers to provide relief to undocumented families. My personal statement is about my undocumented experience → I connected it to the book ‘the house on mango street’ & followed a similar structure

REC: President of my college, political science professor (i also worked with him during my student gov term), and english professor. I really wanted them to highlight my passion for my field/and my ability to lead class discussions.

Let me know what you all think. I am stressed because of my lack of SAT/shaky academic history but I am confident in my rec letters.

Are you CC or GS?

Columbia College

I think you mentioned that a few transfers got in with lower GPA’s. Do you know if any of them transferred from community college? :blush:

One transferred from NYU and i am unsure of the other school! your gpa is not low btw LOL

You should have tried HYPS. :joy:

Wait, really? that makes me feel so much better!

Has anyone updated their transcript (from curriculum report to final transcript) and do you think it’s too late to submit now? :frowning:

What!?? really!? haha, isn’t tougher? :sob::sob:

not for non trads actually! Princeton only accepts non -trads. Also, I’m pretty sure you would’ve qualified for Columbia GS!

I really wanna get in Columbia. Applied with 3.93 (71 credits) but with a really low SAT. and from a Community col :cry::cry: i am so scared

1 Like

what range is ur SAT if you don’t mind me asking

Would you say transferring from college in New York City might have a better chance?

That would have been so good to know. Thank you. I could apply next year? haha and i didn’t apply to GS because of how expensive it is/i don’t qualify for federal/NY in state tuition.

oof good luck! One of my friends 2 years ago got into Barnard with a 1260 SAT. Obvi columbia is different but yeah

1 Like

I am NY state resident first gen and minority race does that help?

You should go for LAC’s! They love non trads and provide full need based aid. Schools like Pomona, Williams etc

I didn’t know about the full need based. Ahh. I will next year if i don’t get accepted to any colleges. Thanks for the tips!

Do you know the GPA of the NYU transfer?