concerns coming from new england

<p>hey guys! I got into TCU last week and couldn't be happier. I absolutely fell in love with everything about the school and Texas when I went to visit. my parents are really excited for me because they know how much I wanted to get in, but they're a little concerned since I'm coming from Connecticut. they think that things will be very different and feel that SMU has a more northern feel to it because we know a lot of people from around this area who go to SMU, but I really love TCU. SMU and TCU are my two top choices. for those of you who would know, are people from outside Texas and the south easily accepted at TCU? is it a hard adjustment? I can't see how it'll be too different, people are people where ever you go, but my parents think that I might be a little out of my element. thanks in advance for your help!</p>

<p>redragtop, my son from Maine attended UT last year. He had to come home for medical reasons, but he LOVED Texas and the people there. He said, “Mom, people actually come up and TALK to me!” He couldn’t get over how friendly everyone was.</p>

<p>I grew up in Texas and moved to Maine at the age of 24. I really think it’s harder to move from the south to the north, than vice versa. I don’t think you have anything to worry about. You’re in for a pleasant surprise, I think.</p>

<p>I applied to both TCU and SMU and I’m from the north. SMU is my top choice. I’ve heard that TCU is more “texas” than SMU, and that as a kid from north people have told me I fit in better at SMU. It’s probably just what you make of it.
Good luck!!</p>

<p>Attending college is about finding the right fit for <em>you</em>, not your parents. Tell them if they want you to be around northerners, you can stay in the north. But that since you’re going to Texas, you want to experience and share in that culture and its people, not try to find a way to avoid change. TCU is a wonderful school with happy students from all areas of the country, including the NE. </p>

<p>There are plenty of TCU vs. SMU threads to help you decide which might be the best fit for you as an individual. SMU is decidedly more “prep” whereas TCU is more laid back and fun. If you’re female, you won’t feel pressured to join a Sorority at TCU, though it does have an active and thriving Greek life. At SMU, you will feel more “left out” in many ways if, as a female, you don’t involve yourself in Greek life. There are threads that go into this more deeply which you can search and read.</p>

<p>In the end, the “accepted student” visits at each school will help you more than anything. Trust your gut. If your parents are properly starting to let go and allow you to make your own decisions, they’ll butt out and make space for you to come to your own conclusions.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>