Condit Bill

<p>Hey guys, I am applying to UC's but I am an OOS student. I have talked to UC admissions counselors and they told me I could be exempt from oos tuition under the Condit Bill (one parent instate one parents out of state). However, I was wondering whose parent info I will need to put on the fafsa....my oos parent (my mom) or my instate parent (my dad). I currently live with my mom. I would assume I'd put hers...but I am just curious and was wondering if I am correct or incorrect. I know I cant even fill it out till Jan, but it's just been a question that has been bugging me for a while. I would call the school, but it's the weekend. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)</p>

<p>THe condit bill requires that you be dependent on a parent. Since your non-custodial parent lives in california and not your custodial parent it would be hard for you to establish dependency through california or the IRS. Also keep in mind that the exemption is only for one year.</p>

<p>the FAFSA is pretty straight forward, you have to put down the custodial parent who you lived with the most and provided the most support. This would be your mother (the OOS parent).</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Other issues that you must take into consideration</p>

<p>

</a> </p>

<p>Part of the challenge is after the one year period is over, you will have to establish your own residency in california. This means</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>it is almost like a catch 22; you have to be able to prove that not only you can pay your tuition without parent support, but you must also be able to provide for your day to day without their support.</p>

<p>The short answer is that you put your mom on the FAFSA, and then also submit (directly to the school) all the additional documentation needed to prove that your dad has paid child support and/or claimed you as a dependent on his tax return.</p>

<p>Assuming he has paid support and/or claimed you on his tax return, qualifying under Condit should be pretty straightforward . . . but how exactly are you going to pay for your remaining three years of school (and living expenses) after your one year of in-state tuition under Condit ends??? Will your mom be helping? If yes, then you won’t qualify for in-state tuition.</p>

<p>Is all of this really worth it for one year at a UC???</p>

<p>And just out of curiosity, assuming that you attend a UC under the Condit Bill and miraculously succeed in qualifying for in-state rates for your remaining 3 years, how exactly are you going to pay those in-state rates? They’re not cheap . . . and qualifying for in-state tuition does not necessarily mean that you’d qualify for state aid!</p>

<p>FAFSA is very clear as to who you put on it as the custodial parent–the one you lived with the most in 2012 will be your custodial parent for 2011. As to other parts of the bill and the university’s own regulations, it is wise to talk to someone there and find others in your same situation. WHo is going to be paying your costs while in college?</p>

<p>Thanks guys for the info :)</p>

<p>My parents got divorced a long time ago and he HAS been paying child support ever since. I originally lived in CA for 16 years of my life, but we moved to AZ about a year ago unfortunately :frowning: That’s why UC’s (more specifically UCI) is my dream school…</p>

<p>He is also planning on claiming me as a dependent.</p>

<p>I am going to make California my PERMANENT home. Even after college, I am not going back to AZ I am going to move back home and start my life there. </p>

<p>I have saved up some money on my own from working. I also have over 5000 in stock. And then my dad of course will help out. IF I absolutely NEED to, I will take out a reasonable subsidized loan.
TO dodgersmom: Thanks for replying. Referring back to your post, so my mom will NOT be able to help out in paying for my schooling? She and my dad were both planning on contributing as well as some other members of my family (grandma, grandpa, uncle, step dad, etc). If you don’t mind me asking, could you further explain this? </p>

<p>I do realize I wont be eligible for cal grant, but I do know that UCI/UCLA, etc give out grants from their universities BASED on need base financial aid. I am NOT saying I am going to rely on that per say, but I am HOPING to receive some money from that grant as well as their regents scholarship.</p>

<p>Anyways, you guys DID answer my question about whose info to put on the fafsa so thanks so much. The question had been bugging me for a while and I kept on forgetting to call the school. </p>

<p>If you guys dont mind me asking another question, or rather furthering your explanations about establishing residency…what do I need to do to establish permanent residency (examples).</p>

<p>And by cutting all legal ties to AZ, would my mother not be able to help me out in anything financial?? She and my dad have always been really good at providing equal financial help, etc for me and my siblings. I apologize if I have this wrong, but if I do could you explain what it means to cut all legal ties?</p>

<p>Sorry for all the questions you guys, but I really appreciate you guys reading and answering :slight_smile: Hope you all have a great Sunday.</p>

<p>One more question, if I do attend my first year under the condit bill, will I be required to be Financially Independent for the remaining 3 years??</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It is not as easy as your dad is planning on claiming you as a dependent because the IRS is very specific as to the rules of claiming dependents</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is exactly what this means. In order to establish residency on your own after the expiration of the Condit bill, you will have to demonstrate that you are financially independent for the next 3 years. Since you will have to earn your earn money and you would still need to file the FAFSA because you are under 24, it is highly unlikely that you will receive any kind of aid. This is because the money that you earn to demonstrate that you can take care of your self along with their income, will most likely put you in a position where you are not going to be eligible for financial aid (cal grants or federal aid other than loans)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>In order to claim residency after the expiration of the Condit bill, you can not be financially dependent on neither your mother or your father. You have to prove that you can pay school and living expenses with out financial assistance from either one of them. You will have to prove this by back accounts, a job, proof that you are living on your own and paying your bills. In addition, neither of your parents can claim you as an exemption on their taxes.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Exactly, your mother cannot provide you with any financial assistance. In addition, you must sever your ties to Arizona, which means if you should decide to go back to school in Arizona, you would no longer be considered an in-state resident.</p>

<p>If the student is “not dependent upon a California resident parent (biological or legally adoptive only) for tuition purposes,” is the catch phrase here. It may be eminently doable. But for the student to do this, s/he needs to work with the school and also find out what others in that situaton at the school are doing. Also be very aware fo the risks if the school decides to clamp down on this category of students, with the state of CA in financial difficulites, that may well be something that happens. </p>

<p>However, in my experience, most state school have been lenient about defining state residency, regardless of what the official definitions are for kids of divorce or separation. There is a risk as there always is when one is going under the exception of rules,but I have seen this done many times.</p>

<p>Mostly agree with cpt. If…“not dependent upon a California resident parent (biological or legally adoptive only) for tuition purposes, you will be required to satisfy the University’s self-sufficiency requirement.”</p>

<p>Also says: “Students under the age of 24 must be financially dependent upon parents who meet the aforementioned requirements, or the student must meet the UC Residence Policy’s financial independence requirement.” (Who is a Resident?)</p>

<p>“For students under age 24, the UC’s financial independence requirement will not be a factor in their residence determination if the student is dependent upon a California natural or adoptive parent who meets the above three University requirements for California residence for purposes of tuition and fees.” (Eligibility, presence and intent.)</p>

<p>CA is traditonally not “lenient.” Since OP lived there 16 years and only recently moved, still has a parent there, she is a somewhat unique case and needs the advice straight from the U. </p>

<p>But a note: the 366 day presence relates to the start of the next year’s academic term. I qualified with, I think, 4 extra days, for grad school. It’s not good enough to say, but I got here x days before the freshan term began. It will be one-year-plus to the start of soph year.</p>

<p>Following the link sybbie719 provided above, [Establishing</a> Legal Residence](<a href=“http://registrar.berkeley.edu/establish.html][b]Establishing”>http://registrar.berkeley.edu/establish.html), my interpretation is as follows:</p>

<p>(1) You do NOT need to establish financial independence in order to qualify for in-state tuition after your “Condit year” ends.</p>

<p>(2) You can instead qualify for in-state-tuition during those three years by showing that you are being supported by your in-state, California resident parent (your father).</p>

<p>Since you do not have to show financial independence, it should be okay for your mother to help with your expenses . . . as long as you are able to show that your father’s contribution is significant enough that you are still “dependent” on him to be able to pay tuition. If his contribution is trivial, and the bulk of your costs are being paid by your mother, then you wouldn’t satisfy the requirements of #2, above.</p>

<p>The language is not clear, and I could be mistaken, but my that’s how I read the requirements.</p>

<p>I would strongly recommend you contact the “residence deputy” at one of the schools you’re applying to. Doesn’t matter which school - they’re darned hard to reach, so talk to any one of them who’ll take your call!</p>

<p>P.S. In order to qualify for the “Condit year,” you do NOT have to show that your dad is claiming you as a dependent on his tax return. It’s sufficient that he is paying court-ordered child support.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>No, the OP’s 16-year residence in California does not make her “a unique case.” The law is clear: if she didn’t attend (for 3 years) and graduate from a California high school, she does not automatically qualify for in-state tuition. It makes no difference that she previously lived in California. The Condit Bill grants a one-year exception to the residence requirement for any OOS student who receives support from a parent residing in California; whether or not that student previously lived in California is irrelevant.</p>

<p>Edited to add:</p>

<p>Aha! This link posted in another thread to the [UC</a> Residence Policy](<a href=“http://www.ucop.edu/ogc/documents/uc-residence-policy.pdf][b]UC”>http://www.ucop.edu/ogc/documents/uc-residence-policy.pdf) confirms what I stated above:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Having a parent living in California does, indeed, make it significantly easier for the OP to establish state residence for tuition purposes.</p>

<p>I meant that, when she seeks to establish residency, her “intent” in moving back to the place she sees as home is different than many CC cases, where the kids primarily want the cost advantages. (And, where they sometimes comes across as transparent.)</p>

<p>And, considering some confusion here, I’m hoping OP hits some patient UC folks who will provide as much info as needed.</p>

<p>Thanks so much dodgersmom for clearing that up :slight_smile: I was freaking out there for a moment.</p>

<p>What is this with kids wanting to go to CA when the state is going broke and many in state are looking for reasonably priced OOS alternatives?</p>

<p>It’s my home</p>

<p>I was born and raised in CA and a lot of my family lives there so I am going there because it is HOME, not just because it is California.</p>

<p>The same link that both Dodgersmom & I posted also states the following</p>

<p>Adult students cannot derive residence from a spouse or parents</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Sounds like she must move to CA to live with dad before she turns 18.</p>

<p>Does the Condit Bill only apply to UC’s or will it also apply to Cal States??</p>

<p>sybbie719 - </p>

<p>You’re conflating two separate issues:</p>

<p>(1) Obtaining residency through a parent
(2) Obtaining residency other than through a parent</p>

<p>In order to obtain residency through a parent, a minor child need only move in with that parent prior to the child’s 18th birthday. There is no other requirement.</p>

<p>In order to obtain residency other than through a parent, a student must prove (a) physical presence in the state for a minimum of 366 days and (b) intent to remain in California.</p>

<p>So, the minor who moves to California to live with a parent does not have to prove either physical presence or intent. In other words, you can move to California on Monday, and be a resident for tuition purposes by Tuesday, and you don’t have to show an intent to stay in California after you graduate.</p>

<p>The adult who moves to California can’t qualify under #1 above (residency through a parent), so he or she has to satisfy the requirements of physical presence and intent.</p>

<p>Either of these methods is sufficient.</p>

<p>So, what difference does it make if the adult student’s parent lives in California? Well, any other adult who moves to California and tries to establish residency has to prove financial independence. The student who is dependent on a California resident-parent does not have to prove financial independence.</p>

<p>Thus, a student who has a parent living in California can:</p>

<p>(1) attend a UC for one year under the Condit exception, and can thereafter
(2) obtain residency by showing (a) 366 days of physical presence in the state plus (b) intent to remain a California resident.</p>

<p>The student’s first year of college satisfies the 366 day physical presence requirement, so the only thing left to prove is intent.</p>

<p>P.S. The Condit Bill applies to both UC’s and Cal States.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>