Confused about MCA score

@Fatonie, I think it’s important for him to take what he wants to take. It makes for a happier, more successful student.

As for honors/AP, it can give a pretty good GPA boost, but if the class is too difficult, it can draw a GPA down too. If he took 4 honors/AP classes (8 semesters), his grade would be bumped up for each, one level. For example, let’s say he takes Conceptual Chemistry and gets an A. If he took AP Chem and got an A, that’s like an A+ for his GPA. A grade of B would be break even and a C, he’d be worse off.

What you need to find out is whether Math Analysis is considered an advanced math. If not, no MCA boost. Also, is Marine Bio considered a lab science class?

So, I think maximizing MCA in a non-conventional way, especially if he’s interested in a less competitive major is a good strategy. Not everyone is cut out for two years of high school calculus and all AP classes. Why pound a square peg in a round hole?

Make sure he takes at least one performing art class (band, choir, drama, etc.).

I apologize if this is covered in another post. I want to clarify a few things. SLO calculates GPA using grades from 9-11capped at 8 semesters of honors/AP that must be in 10th and 11th grade, correct? Semester credit is given taking into account if you took Algebra in 8th grade or foreign language in junior high. So a kid who finished Spanish 4 as a sophomore is still given full credit for 4 years of foreign language even if two were in junior high and a kid who finishes Calc AB is given credit for 5 yrs of math because Alg 1 was in 8th grade. SLO just doesn’t use the junior high grades to calculate GPA, is that correct?

You are correct for everything posted.

This is a super helpful thread. Thanks for all of the info! I am an OOS parent with a question: If a student took algebra in 8th grade (but it just appears on the MS transcript as 8th grade math), then took a year-long class called algebraII/Trig in high school, does this satisfy the 4 semesters of algebra? (Other yearlong math classes taken in HS=geometry, precalc, CalcAB, and AP Stats; also 1-semester independent study called Calc BC and DE 1-semester Calc III planned for senior year). I’m just wondering if not having four semesters clearly labeled as “algebra” will be a stumbling block to applying. Thanks!

Should be fine. It’s the classic Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, pre-Calc, Calc AB, Calc BC series, just with different names.

@eyemgh thanks for the info! Do you happen to know the (ballpark) MCA cutoff for CS applicants? Also, I’ve been trying to figure out how to calculate the GPA (my S has all A’s for 9-11th grade with 6 AP classes in 10th & 11th grade… I’m assuming that would max out the 4.2 GPA, but can’t find a formula anywhere to calculate it).

I believe that would be close to the 4.2 cutoff, but you can look up CSU GPA calculator and one will surely pop up. As for MCA, it’s pretty competitive. Anything I say will just be a wild guess, but somewhere in the 4700ish range is a reasonable guess. You can search this thread http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/1860557-2015-2016-rd-status-mca-major-p1.html for last year’s results. Remember in state and OOS are judged separately and every year is different.

Does the following count as the max for math?

Algebra 1
Geometry
Algebra 2
Trig/Math Analysis*
IB Math SL

• (this year they changed the name to pre-Calc but on her transcript it is trig ma)

@VickiSoCal, I’m not sure because I’m not familiar with IB and the SL track is hard to decipher. I’d call admissions to see how they classify that class, but here’s my guess. If it’s a full year of calculus, yes. If not, no. It doesn’t look like it is to me, but again, I’m not sure.

I actually never really delved in to what SL was equivalent to, but I did a little more research. It seems there’s two SL math classes Math Studies (easier) and Math Methods (harder) she is in the harder class and it covers roughly everything in first semester calculus. So I’m going to guess it would count for at least one semester, assuming she passes. :slight_smile:

It seems like multiple people have said that GPA is calculated from 9th - 11th years. But CSU does it only on 10th/11th:
http://www.csumentor.com/planning/high_school/gpa_calculator.asp

Is Cal Poly different?

@thshadow: Yes, Cal Poly SLO is different in that they use 9-11th grades. When you apply with the CSU application, calculate your CSU GPA with the 10-11th grades. SLO will recalculate using your self-reported 9-11th grades.

Ah, thanks for letting me know! I guess my daughter interested in CS with a 3.93 UC GPA who probably wasn’t getting in anyway - and had about a 3.0 freshman year - doesn’t need to apply… :slight_smile:

@thshadow, GPA accounts for the highest percentage of the Poly admissions algorithm, but there’s other stuff too. If her test scores are high, she’s taken rigorous courses (math through Calc, lots of lab sciences, English and foreign language) and has a leadership role in her ECs, she might have a shot at SE. It’s virtually the same as CS, but a little less selective. If you live in the Poly service area or she goes to a Hayden Partner school, her chances are even better.

Is there a list of the Hayden Partner schools somewhere?

Do you have any guesses yet for MCA cutoffs, for CS and/or SE? From your other thread, it seemed like somewhere in the 4400s was the CS cutoff? I didn’t look too closely for SE… Her 2015-equivalent MCA (IOW concording her 1470 SAT down to 1410) might be 4300 or so… Or a little less…

I’m interested in Bio Sci averages and cut offs as well. Is there a similar thread with more statistics from last year?

@lkg4answers, no there is not a published list of partner schools. We had the experience of finding out after my son had been admitted that his school was a partner school. We had no idea! I asked one of the Cal Poly admissions people about it and she said there are around 400 partner schools, but the list can change if a school no longer meets the criteria (something to do with the percentage of students eligible for free/reduced lunch and diversity related demographics) or if a new school gets added. It’s likely that the high school counselors know whether or not their schools are partner schools.

Thanks @berkeleymom4. Our school definitely doesn’t have a large percentage of free and reduced lunches so we probably don’t qualify.

You’d be surprised. It can’t hurt to ask.