Consequences of Receiving a W on transcript

I am currently a high school senior. I have completed 6 AP’s, 2 honors, and am currently enrolled in 5 AP’s and a dual enrollment course. At the start of the year I began a dual enrollment multi-variable calculus course (got a 5 on both AB and BC tests), that was fully online. I was able to pass the tests, but actually wanted to learn the material, which I found nearly impossible over Zoom. I dropped this class, but received a W on my transcript. I am planning to apply as a history or philosophy major, have an unweighted cumulative GPA of 4.0, and have a 1570+ SAT score, along with some tier 2 extra-curriculars. Do you think this will have a noticeable negative effect on my admissions at top colleges if I provide a brief summary of my reasons for dropping?

No - nor do I think you need to provide a reason. In fact, I’d see it as excuse making. You got a W - why doesn’t matter.

No one will penalize you for dropping a course that no college requires for admission.

I wouldn’t sweat this at all.

2 Likes

I agree with @tsbna44. This will look like you tried taking a very tough class, and decided that it was just not a good idea for you right now given your other interests, other classes, and a history of putting in the effort to do very well in all of your classes. I do not think that there is anything wrong with this. I do not think that there is anything to explain.

Back when I took multi-variate calculus (as a university student), I am glad that I took it in person with a very good professor (and I regret that I cannot remember her name – she was quite good).

As with all students you should make sure to apply to affordable safeties.

And it sounds like you are doing very well.

One withdrawal is not an issue. (If you had a long string of withdrawals that would be a different story.)

1 Like

It doesn’t affect your GPA. You could have dropped the class for any number of reasons. It won’t be a problem – a W is not an F.

1 Like

So I agree and disagree.

Just have your counselor put it in their report on you. Say what you just said. That’s actually a positive. You wanted to learn more and fully understand the material. Colleges love kids that go that extra mile and that understand themselves.

I agree it really won’t matter in the end but it could help bring some explanation since it doesn’t appear to be your profile as a student.

1 Like

The student’s high school counselor is also quite likely to know what should be said to university admissions. Wording their recommendations appropriately is something that they do all the time.

I agree with the approach of mentioning this to the high school academic counselor and otherwise just not worrying about it.

Our school would sit down the student and parent to discuss what should be revealed in their report. Lots of counselors have too many students and don’t know much about the students. We had Bragg sheets to fill out and things that were concerns. Then the counselor took it from there.

I just think it’s worth a mention to them. The W doesn’t fit this students profile.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.