Cornell RD Class of 2025

Kinda random question but if you guys get into Cornell are you 100% going? Will you consider other options?

1 Like

Cornell has a yield around 50% which means almost half of the admits are not attending.

1 Like

Does that mean that a lot of the waitlist are admitted?

No, a lot would be admitted off the waitlist only if the expected yield ends up being significantly higher than the actual yield.

Adjusted for ED? (cause they are all going :slight_smile: )

Yes, this figure is adjusted for ED. In a typical year, Cornell admits about twice as many students (total through RD and ED) as they expect in their freshmen class for a yield rate of roughly 50%. 50% is a very good figure for yield, with only a few schools doing better (Harvard is around 70% if I’m not mistaken). Cornell does not usually admit a ton of students off their waitlist but this varies year-to-year. The lower the actual yield is compared to expected (i.e., the number of students who actually attend vs. the number they targeted for their incoming class), the more students they take off the waitlist.

Has anyone uploaded anything through the application status page? I submitted several documents (LOCI, recommendation letters, AP grades) but I am not sure if they would actually take a look at them.

They did send likely letters out this year!

They only send them for diversity students, not for run of the mill typical students.

Exactly, the number in 2019 was 52% including ED, which means less than 50% of RD admits enrolled. Of course, there is fluctuation on yield over years, but it’s not significant in general. Although people expect lower yield this year because the students applied to more schools, especially those elite schools, it may not be the case if you look at the reduced applications at those second-tier schools. A lot of people moved up the tiers, and they we will enroll if accepted at those elite schools. My guess is that the elite schools won’t admit more students than usual, which means lower acceptance rates, unfortunately.

Cornell’s yield has been 60% for the last three admitted classes. See the undergrad admissions profiles at their institutional research site

1 Like

I think they get about 11 or so every year that back out. I also think this year there are going to be a lot of unknowns with internationals and they may ultimately have to back out or their financial aid may not be enough that they will have to back out. Vaccine administration in many other countries is not at all going as well as here and I would not put it at all past Cornell to require vaccinations of their students, or at least if they don’t, the US will of persons entering the country to be required to be vaccinated. Same issue with people traveling to certain countries abroad. If not vaccinated, it’s a no go. Too much risk for some and they may be better off deferring a semester or taking a gap year.

The one bummer in all of this is that Cornell chose last year to be the first year to stop releasing their admissions data until much later so no one really knows how many students they took in ED or what the makeup was etc. A couple of years ago they had also said they were going to be able to take larger freshman classes, but with Covid and a delay in some capital projects and redoing of some dorms, that may be delayed by a year.

1 Like

If you submitted them prior to the deadline they would probably have looked at them. But the deadline was quite awhile ago. If you only just submitted them, then there’s no guarantee they would’ve looked.

Probably right re the yield especially since numbers of applications were way up, including ED apps by 35%. They did go deep into their wait list last year relative to past years and they started taking students much earlier than past years - before the May 1 date. Those students taken couldn’t then ask for a Gap year so they then had them committed which was a smart play by Cornell which then ended up with a slightly larger class than the prior year.

The one issue people aren’t taking into consideration with the elite schools quite yet is that while many people are waiting for them, there are also many people who also can’t afford them and are still under the assumption that they may get merit or a ton of financial aid that the schools will be free for them, which is highly unlikely. Then we will see all the talk of whether or not it’s worth taking 20k-30k in loans a year for some of these schools, which it is not. Additionally, people don’t realize that 100% unmet need, doesn’t mean free. But worse, there’s still a cap on what students are allowed to borrow and many parents are not willing to try to take out private loans for the amount above what they too are allowed to borrow, which is smart.

Sadly, there will be thousands and thousands of uspset 17 and 18 year olds in a few weeks and many very happy ones.

2 Likes

I think that they won’t see anything submitted after the deadline for considering with RD, but it could potentially help with getting off waitlist

How are diversity students not “typical?”
Nonetheless, likely letters were still sent out.

Too many ED kids deferred this year compared to previous years

Does anyone have thoughts on what yield will be like in general this year? Kids applied so many places will it be lower even at a place like Cornell? Or will kids get fewer offers? My daughter is waiting on 12 schools she just got into Colby but we really have no idea on the outstanding applications including Cornell. Feels like it could go anyway this year. I am thinking lower yield and more waitlists?

sorry I read all the posts I missed, looks like yield has already been discussed.

I am secretly hoping that they did it to not disclose the high % of legacies they admit :slight_smile: for my DS’ sake :slight_smile: