Cornell University Early Decision for Fall 2024 Admission

I do not have any direct experience with CALs other than I know applying ED definitely improves chances of admission.

I would assume that CALs is similar to Human Ecology in that Human Ecology is very diligent about trying to weed out applicants who should probably be applying to Arts and Sciences but choose to apply to Human Ecology because they think that it will be a little easier to be admitted. An applicant who displays a good fit for their program is the one that will be admitted to Human Ecology.

Because CALs is similarly unique like Human Ecology, and their acceptance rate is higher than most other Cornell colleges, I would assume CALs has the same sensitivity to applicants.

1 Like

GPA 99.4 weighted , private school, excellent rigor,
SAT Math 790, verbal 730
lots of Extracurricular Curriculars and leadership roles,
summer internships
applying to Engineering, undecided, ED

any thoughts?

I would ask the private school counselor.

1 Like

thanks
yes- counselor says he has a chance but obviously cornell engineering is extremely competitive

Cornell everything is extremely competitive but less so in ED (if it’s the top choice and affordable).

I would agree given the limited info provided - there’s a chance.

And like all students, safeties are required just in case.

I assume the money situation is ok - i.e. the family is willing to pay $88K this year so more next - and so $380-400K over four years unless qualifies for need, knowing they can spend 1/4 of that at a very good engineering school (for a student with these stats).

You have to ensure this is the case as well - before ED.

Good luck.

Cornell has extended this deadline to Nov 15th for the past 2 years - are there any indications that it might happen this year as well?

We have not heard anything and are planning on Nov 1 remaining firm. All of my son’s basic info has been submitted, but he must also send a 7-10 page Case Study for his HumEc major! (Hoping to get it done this week.)

1 Like

What is this Case Study you’re speaking of? This is the first I’m hearing about it. It’s needed for admission?

The case study is particular to his intended major only (fashion design management in the College of Human Ecology.)

Thank you.

Can you give us a little more info? what was his background and passion?

we have looked at many schools and etc, My son is very interested in this college and the biology, health major. He read a lot about the major, the college, etc. We were debating NYU or Cornell for ED1, and we ended up picking Cornell with the College of Human Ecology and just applied it yesterday with ED1.

I am very nervous since I can tell that this college and major fit perfectly for his background and passion. Even his college counselor agreed. His stats are not bad (except his SAT - 1480) but his GPA is 4.6 weighted and all his classes are IB level (6 HL and 2 SL). he won the Harvard book award from his school in his junior year. he has been volunteering for 3 years for school summer camp and coaching tennis to kids during fall and spring. leadership roles in student government and chess club.

Tuition is not an issue, and I plan to sell my house and downsize to pay for his school.

1 Like

My son’s interested in College of Engineering and applying ED, unweighted GPA 4.0, weighted 4.86, SAT 1500 (750 each), in marching band, varsity soccer and track, engineering internship through Hopkins, several other extracurriculars, minor leadership roles. Able to manage tuition. Any thoughts?

2 Likes

He certainly seems a worthy candidate. and many will want him - perhaps Cornell included.

Best of luck to him.

Hello!

Do you all think it would be possible to get accepted ED to CALs for Biology with a 4.16 GPA, a 4 on the APES exam, 3 on AP Bio, and a 3 on AP Lang (I’m not a great test taker)? I have good extracurriculars though such as interning for two weeks at a private vet clinic, writing and publishing a research paper, 3 year varsity athlete for two sports, being club leader, being selected to mentor freshmen twice a week, and doing a pre-college program.

Does Cornell require you to report AP exam scores?

No.

No, they are not required. I just ended up submitting them because I thought it would look suspicious not to. I don’t have a college counselor though, so I am not sure if that was the right move.

Has anyone received notifications for interviews for ED?

Yes, my daughter had her interview a few days ago.

1 Like

Does the alumni interview for ED impact your chances of acceptance or does it just demonstrate interest. Wondering what kind of input the alumni has in the application process.