Cosmos '21

I see thanks!

yes! cluster 8?

My son (current 9th grader) got rejected from COSMOS. He’s also an alternate for Youth Ambassadors so we need to scramble to find him a summer program with availability.

It is. It’s not like RSI or national olympiad level of prestige, but it is a solid thing to have on college apps. Also apparently UC’s give a special advantage to COSMOS alumni, which is awesome because almost all the UC’s are top colleges.

2 Likes

Hey same!!

Is this actually proven to be true tho? How do we know for sure?

There is a box to check on the UC Applications for the COSMOS program. But really the reason why it is valuable is what you learn, and how you are able to express that.

2 Likes

They put this on the portal now:

PLEASE NOTE: Acceptance materials on the next page are not yet updated for 2021. New documents will be posted Monday morning 4/12/2021.

Yeah I’m guessing that’s for the 13 page packet thing. The one they gave us had a lot of stuff that they probably don’t need to know if we’re doing it online (allergies/health concerns and dorm preferences), so they’ll prob make modifications.

1 Like

My son was accepted to Cluster 2 (Nanochem and Nanotech) at UCD.
He had been rejected last year. He’s a rising senior.

Hey everyone! Congrats if you got in and thank you for all the help and conversation. I felt much more secure during this whole application process haha. Do you guys know if it’s better to take COSMOS in sophomore and junior years? I got in as a freshman but my parents are worried because others say it’s better to take it 11th grade for college app/essays. I reassured them saying that I could do other things like internships and more prestigious programs, but I’m not sure if they’re more confident about it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

The earlier you do COSMOS, the better. It’s much easier to get into COSMOS as a junior/sophomore as opposed to getting in as a freshman. Therefore, it will look more impressive on the college app the earlier you went to COSMOS. Nonetheless, COSMOS is still quite competitive, so it’s impressive on the app no matter the grade. It’s just that it’s less selective when it comes to older grades.

1 Like

massive props to getting in as a freshman. stats if ur willing to share?

2 Likes

which clusters did you guys get into? Anyone for UCD C10?

I got UCD 11! : )

1 Like

Well, if you go now, you might discover that you really like a new topic you learn about, and you can build on that in future summers. But, it is true you can only go once, and this summer is online. It definitely is more fun to go in person. I think I’d decide based on what you would be doing this summer instead of COSMOS, and if you have something good lined up as an alternative.

1 Like

Thank you!!!

Thanks!

I had a 4.0 UW GPA and took all regular classes (as my school offered) with IM3 for math. For extracirriculars I mentioned my activities in school band for several years and competing in math for several years.

Let me know if there’s anything more you’d like to know. I think that my cluster specific essays might’ve helped a lot.

Right, thanks for your perspective! :slight_smile:

Did COSMOS give any schedule of how it will be? Does anyone know how many hours will this program take up?