Covid vaccines roll outs in your state or location

Well maybe whining does help. This afternoon HR sent out an email saying we could call and get on our list for vaccinations. I called ASAP and got myself and younger S on the list. Technically, he is a part time employee and they said they counted. It won’t move us up in a group or anything. We will be 1c and Id guess March or April or May. But at least I feel like I won’t be forgotten

2 Likes

I am 1b in New York because of my job, not that it does me any good. I looked this afternoon and there were no openings anywhere in the entire state even though they are scheduling appointments up until the end of April. I live in a county with well over 1 million people and there are currently only 3 places in the entire county where you can get the vaccine, which is woefully inadequate. They need to get these vaccines out to a lot more locations.

1 Like

well it is good that my husband got his appointment this morning - the medical group he goes to just sent an email tonight saying all their appointments are filled for the time being. Good news in that so many are getting the vaccine, bad news for those who have to still wait.

where does the discrepancy come from? per this site, Maine has given vaccines to 4548 yet they have 10,183 (both numbers are out of 100,000) so far less than you indicate?

I ask because in our state I have seen them repeatedly claim they do not have enough vaccines yet we are only at around thirty percent or so?

Here is one article: Maine’s COVID-19 vaccination rate among highest per population in U.S. | PenBay Pilot

What site are you looking at?

I was getting my numbers from the CDC site but it is not loading at the moment?

Reading the email from my medical group (a pretty big facility in this area of the state with many doctors and locations), they actually say stop calling about the vaccine, they have been swamped with so many vaccine calls that they are unable to get calls from patients with other issues who need other types of appointments.

They were doing scheduling outside of the state system (where you log on and register) for those under 65 which underlying conditions. Yesterday was the first day this was allowed in NJ and that was why they got swamped.

Is NJ requiring proof of residency? If not, there will be people crossing state borders to get the vaccine, especially if someone might not be in the same tier for priority in a neighboring state.

Also, is there proof of age required? And how about proof of a complicating condition? If there is no documentation required, then this is a huge problem (for ALL states).

1 Like

My mother just got vaccinated in NJ. She had to show a government ID, not necessary a driver’s license. With that they could check for age. In NJ they said it will be based on honor system when it comes to proof of medical conditions.
My mother got vaccinated at a place that’s not listed anywhere on the NJ Covid website. She found out about it through word of mouth from her Asian friends. I had to quickly make an appt for her. Those appts were quickly gone.

Texas is also using the honor system when it comes to underlying medical conditions. There are HIPPA considerations and if the goal is to get the shot in as many people’s arm as quickly as possible, paperwork and interviews are going to slow the process down. I have been adding my mom and mother-in-law to every list I can find to get the shot. So far, Texas’s supply is as below the demand as every other state. Also, trying to find a vaccine is like trying to find a Cabbage Patch Kid in 1984 plus trying to get tickets to a concert that will sell out in minutes. That makes things really hard for the 65 and over group.

2 Likes

My mother is in an independent living facility in Florida with a private caregiver. Yesterday they administered the vaccine to all residents and employees. They had some doses left over and mom’s caregiver was able to receive a shot. She’s under 65 and not an actual employee of the facility so she was thrilled to get vaccinated.

6 Likes

I see the numbers you are talking about. I reported what the Maine CDC director said at the beginning of the week and what newspapers reported. I will listen to the televised update at 2 and see what he says today.

1 Like

This is what I was told: “I believe it is 85% of the doses Maine CDC has control of. Remember, they had to turn over thousands of doses to the pharmacy/nursing home program, and Maine CDC doesn’t have control of that.”

New York opened up some new time slots this morning, but the website crashed almost immediately. The problem is that vaccine administration is limited to a handful of sites across the state, all of which book appointments through a single website. It’s too centralized. They need to get vaccines out to more locations (pharmacies, private health care providers etc …) who can book appointments individually.

1 Like

California opened up the vaccines to 65 and over yesterday but not Los Angeles County. I went to a pharmacy yesterday that supposedly had the vaccine. There was no one there but the pharmacist but because I am not a ‘health care’ worker I was denied. An acquaintance who is a psychologist who sees people over Zoom, however, was able to get one. Figure that out.

So West Virginia, South and North Dakota, (not exactly the wealthiest states) are doing better than California. It’s just plain incompetence.

1 Like

I talked to my mom last night and the woman that runs the home my grandmother is in (normally 8 residents or fewer) said they will get the vaccine next week. She asked my mom if she wanted them to get extra doses for her and my dad and of course my mom said yes. I am so happy that my grandmother and my parents will be vaccinated next week!

2 Likes

At this stage, I tend to agree that if a state is doing well in getting their doses out then give them more…states, like mine (NC), that are performing rather miserably should not get more until they use those.

It is baffling why some of the states are not able to administer the doses more rapidly…it is not like we did not know the vaccines were coming. There was ample time to prepare but it seems little was done.

3 Likes

I agree that it’s not like states didn’t know the vaccine was coming. It seems that many states have done a poor job at the planning and distribution of the vaccine.

In a UT parent page I’m on, someone said there are so many doses in Austin at Dell Medical Center that haven’t been used. Also saying that students at UT will wind up moving up fast. Who knows really what the story is. My friend’s daughter who at 23 has already gotten vaccinated in Austin knows a lot of nurses that have refused it. Ridiculous.
My 20 year old daughter has said a lot of people she knows has gotten it there and it’s crazy to see them being able to get it. People her age, due to where they work or conditions they may have. It’s completely different than here in IL where they are very strict with regard to the groups and how it’s being handed out.

It is hard to say what is causing the problems but from various articles it does seem that some of it has to do with states, understandably, wanting to make sure no one jumps the queue. Unfortunately it is not working so I would rather see them just open it up as much as possible. Get the doses into arms asap!!

4 Likes