Covid vaccines roll outs in your state or location

Northeastern says they are following state guidelines, so only vaccinating those in the categories which are eligible. They have students who are in healthcare and research jobs that warrant vaccination, as well as those with the conditions that make them eligible. Massachusetts opens up a new group this week and NEU was scheduling those people in advance last week.

Also, they have had in person classes all of the 2020-21 school year.

I assume that’s a rhetorical question, as I am not making vaccine rollout decisions.

Snow is not the only possible disruption that could occur at vaccination mega sites. For example, Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles had a closure for an hour for non-snow reasons.

The fact remains that 18-22 year olds, regardless of medical condition, congregate living, or employment in health care, are at an extremely low risk of covid complications or hospitalization. I do not doubt NEU is following state guidelines and keeping parents happy; whether NEU is a responsible member of the community is another question.

Moderator’s Note: Please stick to when and how roll outs occur. Discussions about who deserves vaccines are tangential.

The only eligible groups right now in MA are healthcare workers, first responders and those living in long term care facilities. I assume the students that are being vaccinated fall into the first two groups. MA opens to 75+ this week, following that will be 65+, then essential workers (including teachers), then those with two or more comorbidities, and then finally they get to every one else. I assume most students will be in the last category, which will probably open up in April at the earliest.

Perhaps there are expansive definitions of healthcare workers. The NEU pre-med students who I know received vaccines are not working or regularly visiting any health care facility

Today’s NYT has an expose of the NYS vaccine rollout

Yay! My parents finally got a call and they will get vaccinated in Austin on February 15. Such a huge load off my mind. :slight_smile:

20 Likes

I just sent you a PM about Austin availability and now I see your post! Great news.

4 Likes

Just heard that our state has not given our county the next allotted round of doses. As such, they are still not scheduling our 2nd doses, with are due Thursday. I’m getting nervous.

Penn pre-meds working at HUP or CHOP who have zero patient contact and spend all their time in the lab have definitely benefited from Pennsylvania’s expansive definition of healthcare personnel. Phase 1A vaccine distribution includes “persons not directly involved in patient care but potentially exposed to infectious material that can transmit disease among or from health care personnel and patients.” The students I know who fall into the aforementioned category received their first dose of the vaccine in early January.

Thank you! My parents’ patient to advocate was so frustrated. She has out them on several lists. Then my sister found a site which panned out. Whew.

1 Like

I signed up on a list for email notification at my county health department (California - SF Bay Area) and received an email tonight notifying me of a drive-through mass vaccination this week (age 65+ and health care workers). The email arrived shortly before 10pm and I went to sign up right away – many appointments available for multiple time slots. So I am scheduled to receive the Moderna vaccine this coming Wednesday.

14 Likes

OK, so confused. Anyone in Colorado? Is there a way to sign up if you are 65-69? Or is it just 70+ right now?

Every time I look at the state, then county websites it says 70+ interest form. No offices doing them here. The 3 hospitals say they taking interested people information, if you get on their site, then they say that they follow the state guidelines of 70+, etc. I seem to be going in a circle.

65-69 are group 1b.2, which starts on Feb 8. Also in that group are teachers (day care through 12th) but they are hoping the school districts will take care of their own teachers in a group. It is a huge group. Only 40% of those over 70 have received vaccinations, so that group is continuing too, along with any health care workers and nursing home people who haven’t been vaccinated yet. It will be up to the providers if they’ll start a list/clinics/appointments for just for 65-69s or if they’ll just have them get on the same list for the current groups waiting in line.

You can sign up for the 65-69 group now (or any age group really) on all the websites like UC Health, Denver Health, Safeway, but they just take your information and then IF they get vaccine and set up a clinic, they’ll send you a notice. My mother (85) got hers at the Coors field site last weekend. She was signed up on the UC Health and they had a lottery for the 10k appointments last weekend. A friend did the same thing and won a spot at National Jewish.

There were also a few drive up clinics in the foothills counties a few weeks ago for the 1b.1 group (70+), so look to see if they are having any of those for this new group, 1b.2; I think if they get some big shipments this week or next they will repeat the same clinics they did for 1b.1 for the 1b.2 group (I’m a 1b.3, so hoping it just keeps rolling the same way) but the UC health group has to do the second vaccines for the groups they just did on Feb 13-14 and 20-21, so they won’t have another mass event on those weekends.

You don’t have to be a UC Health member to sign up, but you do have to create a Mychart account. All you need are your name, date of birth, address to create the account.

You can also sign up at your county and I assume it is the same process but not too hopeful that the counties will get to their lists before the medical groups or the pharmacies.

Someone on my Nextdoor page posted that some of the pharmacies in smaller towns have sign ups with openings, but my mother wasn’t willing to drive to Lamar or Pueblo to get an appointment. You, as a 1b.2, won’t be eligible for those appointments until Feb 8.

2 Likes

Thank You @twoinanddone ! I usually consider myself very capable of understanding things like this but I needed help.

CVS pharmacies will begin administering the vaccines February 11th here. We are one of the 70 Texas towns picked for initial roll out.

1 Like

My parents (88 and 90) are both in Illinois and honestly, unless someone calls them and sets up their appointment for them I don’t see it happening. They want it, but don’t seem willing to work hard for it. My Dad could get it through the VA (and maybe my Mom too) but the closest location is over an hour away and my Mom doesn’t want to make the drive. My sister who lives near them is fairly anti-vax so she won’t be helping. I’m pretty frustrated because I’d like to start seeing them again AND because I don’t feel my sister’s family is careful enough around them. My Mom is constantly talking about how frustrated and bored she is so I wish she’d be a little more proactive about getting vaccinated. I’d get them on lists but I don’t know if they check their email. I got on their case about getting their voice mail set up last week. They moved 2 months ago and couldn’t access their messages. I’m not sure how they think they will ever get the vaccine if they are waiting to be magically contacted, yet they are so hard to contact.

1 Like

So can you set up their appoiintments? I set up my dads appointment and always use my email and mobile phone because I can’t rely on him getting messages. I just tell him when and where to show up.

4 Likes