Covid vaccines roll outs in your state or location

Yup, saw an “ad” on NextDoor from a younger person offering to take anyone 75+ to get a vaccine. IMO the state of MA has not thought this through.

1 Like

Yet, I can understand the thought behind it.

I’ve mentioned this before. My dil’s dad has Lewy body dementia. What a horrible disease. Since the pandemic, he has gone downhill. Her mom lost her job and it’s an industry that probably won’t come back ever. He’s older than her. He got the vaccine but the mother has not.

It’s doesn’t help that much if the patient is vaccinated but the caregiver is not. My dil’s mom has no respite, and not much hope of any until both of them are vaccinated.

It’s so tragic and something I think about often. Life really stinks sometimes

4 Likes

Just read that Walgreens is partnering with Uber to pilot a program to provide free transportation in Chicago for people with vaccine appointments. Hoping that helps some for folks without transportation options. Sounds like they are piloting the program in a few major cities.

5 Likes

The younger person might drop out of sight when it’s time to take the elder to get the 2nd dose. Once the younger person gets the 1st dose, they are eligible to get the 2nd dose without accompanying elder. Then what? At least in my area, 2nd doses are scheduled differently from first doses, so the scheduling might not be quite so simple as for the first dose. I’m assuming the driver also has to make an appointment?

Yes, they both need to make appointments.

They should make the second dose contingent on the same rule. Somehow get that on their vaccine card or something.

2 Likes

AZ is vaccinating those 65 and older:

Vaccination of people 65-74 is only available at state operated POD locations (State Farm and Phoenix Municipal Stadium). Check eligibility and scheduling availability at AZDHS COVID-19 Vaccine Finder.

Many COVID vaccines canceled today in North Texas due to icy roads. I don’t know how those get re-scheduled, but I’m very glad I took the Wednesday appointment (yesterday) instead of the one I was tempted to take for today instead.

2 Likes

My second shot was canceled on Feb 2 because of snow. I had to log back into VAMS and reschedule. But there were at least six addition sites within my geographic radius that had not been available at all when I originally scheduled. I was easily able to reschedule for Feb 5.

3 Likes

the biggest hospital system in Boston posted this today -

" There are currently NO available COVID-19 vaccine appointments at Mass General Brigham locations. If you received an invitation for a COVID-19 vaccine appointment, please check back later on this website for more information about when appointments may be available. We will open up appointments when we receive more vaccine from the state.

Vaccines also are available through city and town clinics, local pharmacies, and state vaccination sites for eligible patients, according to guidance from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Visit MAImmunizations.org for locations outside of Mass General Brigham."

wonder what this is about - state wants to control all the shots, they didn’t think the hospitals were doing a good job (which I think they were), something else?

Some people have better accessibility to the other locations. My guess is the state is spreading around their vaccine allocations.

I agree. I know in my city there has been concern about access, especially for folks who rely on public transportation (here that is buses). This becomes an equity issue and so there is significant effort to make sure there are sites in different areas.

1 Like

Yes, it seems they are really pushing the state run sites. Which will be fine (although chaotic) when they open up for the younger demographic but it’s really tough for the seniors with limited mobility. There are thousands of appointments available for Gillette stadium, but you have to be able to walk at least a little bit. And it’s cold and stormy here. We need more true drive through sites or give more to the towns to handle it through their senior centers , fire departments etc.

2 Likes

I know Murphy in NJ has come under fire for expanding vaccine eligibility to 18-64 with underlying conditions, but I actually think it’s working out better than trying to restrict the vaccine access to 75+ without a concomitant effort to get it to that population. If the point it to get a lot of people vaccinated as quickly as possible, NJ’s approach is more effective. As I mentioned above, the states that expect the elderly to obtain appointments online at centers an hour plus away via car are going to find that this target group cannot do that. I read a local newspaper article about how the decision to focus on megasites instead of local pharmacies has made it harder for the elderly to get vaccines.

5 Likes

In CT, new vaccine sites seem to be popping up everyday. I know folks with appointments at senior centers, pharmacies at various places (some CVS, Walgreens and Walmart pharmacies), local health districts, bigger mega sites that are drive through. The health districts are setting up sites to make it more convenient and a shorter distance.

Things are growing and evolving well here (CT).

The challenge is scheduling an appointment especially if you don’t have online access. But there is a state phone line for scheduling and some smaller towns are providing assistance as well.

CT just added 65 and up. There are about 350,000 folks between 65-75. If they can get these folks done, that would be great.

1 Like

I know an 89 year old who is having lots of problems getting the vaccine. They figured out how to sign up for an appointment in NY and then showed up, but apparently had not done the paperwork correctly. They would not vaccinate him. He finally figured it all out , but could no longer get an appointment near him. He has other adults now trying to help.
One of the things they did in FL, was that they brought the vaccine to the 55+ larger communities and vaccinated the residents there. Similar to LTF. This was how my 90 yo Aunt got her vaccine.
The biggest issue with NJ is the smoker thing.

What’s this? Smokers are in the high-risk group everywhere (CDC), right?

How does one “prove” they are a smoker. Yes, they are in high risk group, but in some states as they have opened up to those groups, there needs to be some confirmation. If I (not me, but just in general) wanted a vaccine in NJ I would just sign up as a smoker. But the point is taken that people are getting vaccinated. In some states they are not.

I am wondering about how they can demand proof for any of the high-risk conditions. They can’t exactly demand letters from doctors, as there are people who don’t have doctors. Anyone can claim anything, really, so opening up the group to 16+ with medical conditions means opening it up to anyone and everyone.

They are asking for doctor’s letters or hospital discharge paperwork in NY. I don’t know how that’s going to work, honestly. One of the conditions is obesity and another is pregnancy. Can you bring the stick you peed on? Lots of people don’t see a doctor about pregnancy until later on for prenatal care!