Covid vaccines roll outs in your state or location

Not sure why my kid was told that about physician discretion. She can show her pump and CGM but since type 1 isn’t prioritized, I am hoping what she heard is true. I don’t see how that would work though since MD’s aren’t providing vaccines. My kid also has a neuro disorder that is not on the list. Actually, even cystic fibrosis isn’t on the list!

I think she should tell a white lie and just check off diabetes and show her pump if need be and not tell them which type she is. Then she would be able to just use one of the mass vaccination centers. I doubt anybody will question or stop her there.

Yes, I know I am advocating dishonesty, but I think it makes sense in this situation.

3 Likes

That would be a case where general ignorance about type 1 might be an advantage. Those devices would definitely impress the average gatekeeper of the seriousness of her health condition.

3 Likes

Type 1s can get vaccinated in TX, has she checked with her doctors? I’m with @kiddie, she should be in a prioritized group and should sign up. No one is asking questions at the big clinics here once you have an appointment.

She can also try to volunteer to get one if she isn’t comfortable being ‘confused’ on her type.

1 Like

I know people here were not delighted with the answer my doctor gave me, to lie and say I smoked to get a vaccine. I probably won’t do that because I am young and healthy. But in your daughter’s case, this is in everybody’s best interest. I also think you should take advantage of having had cancer and get yourself vaccinated so you can spend time with your daughter once you are both done.

My MIL and another one of my friends got their vaccines at their doctor’s offices. MIL went through her general practitioner and my friend got hers at her cardiologist’s office.

My MD’s office does not have any vaccines available. I wonder how all that works.

In NYS, both Type 1 and Type 2 are in the most recent priority group (18-64 with co-morbidities). Also, my DIL is 7 months pregnant, has an appointment and will need a letter from her doctor to confirm the condition (required for all medical condition-based appointments) - pretty sure her belly gives it away but she will bring all required paperwork to the appointment, just in case! My large medical group sent out an email to all patients whose records indicate any and all qualifying conditions to be used for that purpose. They do not have the vaccine nor do they know when they might be allocated any so they are recommending patients get it wherever and whenever they can.

1 Like

Just got off the phone with a friend who is trying to schedule an appointment for her mother. Her mother in Middlesex County has spinal stenosis and can’t tolerate a 1-2 hour drive to a megasite, and she also has macular degeneration. Some of the counties (Essex, Bergen) have sites restricted to county residents, but if you don’t live on one of those counties then you have to be willing to drive.

Today we drove 2 hours south of where we live to get my husband a shot. We sat in the CVS parking lot and waited for a text to go into the building. I watched a parade of people with walkers and canes with worried expressions trying to go into the building, where they would then spend 30 minutes in a line. There has to be a better way of doing this.

About 10% of people with COVID-19 vaccine appointments at Santa Clara County run vaccine sites were no-shows to their vaccine appointments. The county had to announce to its workers and general public to come and get the leftovers to avoid wasting them. The county does not know why there were so many no-shows, but the article mentions a possibility that people were making multiple vaccine appointments and not cancelling the extra ones.

If it is true that people are making multiple vaccine appointments and not cancelling the extra ones, that is not very nice behavior, but it may not be too surprising given the scarcity and the people afraid that any given appointment is likely to be cancelled (but not cancelling extra appointments after actually getting a vaccine is still not very nice). I.e. competitive vaccine appointment allocation under conditions of scarcity leads to behavior that worsens the scarcity when people consume more appointments than they actually use.

I’m curious, where did you see that NY requires that you have a doctor’s note for comorbidities?

From the NYS website regarding Phase 1b eligibility and proof thereof:
To show they have comorbidities or underlying conditions, New Yorkers must provide documentation as required by the facility where they are getting vaccinated which must be either:

• Doctor’s Letter, or
• Medical Information Evidencing Comorbidity, or
• Signed Certification

I have an appointment at a state-run site and was told I needed a doctor’s letter to confirm eligibility. I also had to certify to eligibility on the pre-vacciantion form.

2 Likes

Mom is in FL- so I expect a wait, but her county seems to never have vaccination events. Their first was Jan. 4, it took until Feb. 11 to get the second dose. They had a vaccination event around Feb. 7th, around 7,000 doses. There are over 118,000 people registered. Since retail pharmacies are starting up, I looked at that. Her county has Zero vaccine at her pharmacies, not zero appointments, just zero vaccine.

The county health department hasn’t even updated their website since Feb. 8th. Maybe they are quietly moving through the list???

Signed Certification is self-attestation. You sign it yourself saying you have that condition.

H(69) and I(65) received the first Pfizer yesterday at Walgreens in rural CO. I thought it was going to be Moderna but it was Pfizer with a 28 day wait until dose 2. No Problems.

2 Likes

Why is the Pfizer a 28 day wait. Is it because of lack of appointments or vaccine availability?

They explained that it is a minimum of 21 days. That is when they expect the shipment availability.

1 Like

The rollout here in MA is sure frustrating. The sign up websites clearly ask you what category you fall under and if you are not eligible, you can’t sign up yet.

But apparently, NJ is not the same way. I know of several friends there who signed up, were placed on waitlists and then were called to get the vaccine last week. Not in the age category, no underlying medical conditions.

Don’t know if this is a case where they would have had “extra” doses and needed to use them asap - but friend said that she and her husband were called and asked to come in asap (within the hour) to get the shot.

My mom’s appointment for her second Pfizer vaccine is 31 days from her first one. That was the earliest appointment available. She’s registered through VAMS and there doesn’t seem to be a way to modify an appointment to see if any have opened up earlier.

If they were called and told to come ASAP, that sounds like there were doses leftover…maybe because of no shows or cancellations. Better to use these vaccines than let them go to waste.

1 Like

Is there any info available about how much protection after first dose?

We will continue to keep using masks etc on the rare occasions when we are out. Just trying to decide if better for me to keep doing errands (I’m younger, fewer risk factors) or have husband go (age 65 - had first dose).