Covid vaccines roll outs in your state or location

In MA the pharmacies update daily, and the mass vaccine sites update weekly.

@Nrdsb4 I am writing CA officials and calling JDRF to see what progress is being made with advocacy, if any. The CDC is behind in their research studies. Thanks for the understanding!

1 Like

If your computer has the old Edge, better to upgrade it to the new Edge, since security patch support for the old Edge will end soon.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge

In contrast to yesterday, today I was on a call with a group of ladies who are all over the required age, and have registered everywhere and just can’t seem to get an appointment (NJ). They keep on getting shut out - fully booked etc. (NJ)

I have the new Edge already. Computer is new. But Edge is not accepted on some sites. So I opted out of S mode and have Edge and Chrome now. Thanks!

FWIW I am using Firefox on a mac and husband is using safari on an ipad. We both had a problems with crashing and getting kicked out. I don’t think its the browser, I think its the website. The fact that you got farther using a different browser was probably because the site traffic freed up while you were switching.

No website crashing was different from “application error.” According to Microsoft that was the computer. And at least one site I went on wanted a different browser. I didn’t really expect the system to stop crashing but I at least wanted a browser that was reliable in this context.

@me29034 This is exactly what happened to me on the MA site today, too – multiple times. The end (and an appointment) was in sight, but then – crash/error/application failure. Very frustrating.

What’s ridiculous about the MA site is that it doesn’t hold the appt for you while you fill in the required data. If they’re going to do it that way, then why not gather all the information, THEN let you see what apps are available.

There might be a person or 2 in MA who could fix this for the state???

4 Likes

Boston Globe online news

“ Coronavirus Now: Mass. vaccine website crashes as nearly 1 million people become newly eligible”

@CBBBlinker if you were getting application errors, then maybe Microsoft was wrong in blaming my computer. The tech’s English wasn’t that great, as usual :slight_smile:

Legally they cannot ask for proof of medical condition. So yes it is indeed a problem.

‘Somewhere in there, the vaccine got overpromised’: How the COVID-19 vaccination process turned chaotic and confusing

@compmom I’m not a tech guru, but considering all the news reports about people experiencing the crashes/errors, etc all over the state, I doubt it was your computer. (I’m on a Mac, for what it’s worth.)

IMO it’s a little mind boggling that anyone at the state level was caught by surprise at what happened – the same way they were surprised by people trying the take advantage/game the companion policy put into place for those 75+.

Again, one of the sites told me that I had to use a different browser. I understand the system crashed as well. S mode for Windows is an attempt at monopoly anyway, so no harm done by opting out of it.

Here is the application error that many got:
“This application crashed
If you are a visitor, please try again shortly.
If you are the owner of this application, check your logs for errors, or restart your app.”

I agree that Microsoft was in error by telling me this was my computer.

1 Like

This is an issue in many of the various NJ sites, too. It is infuriating. A wise person finally advised me to select “none” for the health insurance to save time when booking, and then just show up with the insurance card at the appointment. Once I started doing that, I was able to book appointments more easily.

7 Likes

I don’t agree. You plan and make rules for rollout ( on any project). Then as the project starts to rollout you modify. Why do you imagine that would slow down the rollout? In my state, MA, they are asking elderly people to go to mega-sites 1-1.5 hours away. For folks on the Cape it’s even longer. That makes zero sense in a world with Fedex, carriers and good websites (which isn’t available in MA).
In addition, when people arrive at these mega sites, they are often outside in the cold or waiting in their cars. What about using the bathroom? Eating. The fools who planned this couldn’t get out of a cardboard box. Modifications to the current " system" could only benefit the recipients.
AND the roll out for the mega sites is still extremely slow.

3 Likes

I’d like to point out a few things.

One, it’s been widely reported that the federal government was working on a distribution plan. After the vaccine was announced, state found out that there was no distribution plan other than getting the vaccine to the states. And that’s where the distribution plan ended.

Secondly, the local distribution take a lot of money to plan and implement. Ask any large company how much money it takes to implement their supply chain. Millions, hundred of millions of dollars. A huge team of people. States did not have any money allocated to a distribution plan and states must balance their budget. It’s the law. Where do you think they find the money for a highly effective distribution plan with no money for it. It’s not like they had a plan for a global pandemic and vaccine distribution.

So although I do understand where frustrations come from, remember that you local state or county does not have either the infrastructure or the funding for a large scale operation like this.

No this isn’t like fedex or amazon because this isn’t their business model and they don’t have the money that for profit companies do.

6 Likes

@deb922 Which is why it makes no sense that in some states after the hospitals had put together and already started their distribution system, the states cut them off completely.

2 Likes

I agree with this, at least in my area. The list of occupations eligible to get the vaccination is absurdly long and vague as to how you are supposed to prove you work there. Some sites allow for employee-based eligibility and others only age-based. Still others borough based and others still zip code based. Some pop up only for residents one or two blocks and they have to get over there NOW. Not every site accepts under 65s. Not every site accepts co-morbidities. There is confusion as to what is acceptable proof of your precondition. An attestation? MyChart? A doctor’s note? People are getting turned away or have been asked follow-up questions at the site to prove what medicine they are on or how many days per week they are in-person at work. Sometimes people waiting standby can get extra doses. Other times they have to be eligible but without an appointment.

NYC was (relatively) humming along until just recently. If we are trying to be 100% fair access for all people involved, well, a I guess they are trying to do that.

If we are trying to get shots in arms, we are falling behind.

Let’s not forget the egos! Huge egos! Let’s scrap what’s working!

I’m not saying that states and local governments are without blame, but that they have had some obstacles