Covid vaccines roll outs in your state or location

I noticed that you stated that here in Maryland vaccinations for 65+ only began about a week ago. That may be true at the county sites but both my husband and I received our first shots over a month ago (mine at CVS and his at a mass vaccination center). We both received our 2nd doses last week and we are both (just slightly :wink:) over 65.

It takes some work but it is definitely doable and most of my friends who meet the requirements have been successful in getting appointments. The Facebook group Maryland Vaccine Hunters has been a great help to people whoā€™ve had trouble booking appointments on their own but honestly, Iā€™m getting more alerts for appointments being available every week.

Update: Just saw your post saying that you are in your fifties so yes, unless you have one of the medical or professional conditions which would qualify you, the current guidelines prevent your being eligible in Maryland. Based on the noticeable improvements Iā€™ve seen in availability Iā€™ve seen lately, Iā€™m very optimistic that your turn will come soon :grinning:.

2 Likes

@joblue, yes, I should have clarified that I was talking about where I live in MD, not MD as a whole.

In NY, employees are entitled to 4 hours of paid leave per Covid vaccine dose. I hope everyone knows this. It could even provide an incentive to get vaccinated!

3 Likes

https://www.chickasaw.net/News/Announcements/The-Chickasaw-Nation-Now-Offering-COVID-19-Vaccines-to-all-Oklahomans.aspx

The Chickasaw Nation has extra/unwanted vaccines so they are offering them up for general use. Very admirable IMHO.

12 Likes

It was 47% of the 31% ā€“ so 15% overall fully vaccinated ā€“ except that was as of 3/14. As of yesterday, itā€™s now 32.2% vaccinated, 48.5% of those ā€œfullyā€. They are probably now using J&J which would mean a segment of people who are fully vaccinated with the first shot. I think they only opened up to the tier including people with qualifying health conditions yesterday ā€“ previously it was age or occupation, but occupation included health care workers, and then teachers, child care workers, food workers - which really is a huge segment of the younger employed population. They require ID at the vax site, so generally some form of proof of employment-- I assume it could be a paystub or an employee badge. Vaccination is by advance appointment, so not a matter of simply showing up at the gate. Locally they have been coordinating through a private health provider (Carbon Health) which has been very smooth, but they are collecting a lot of personal info at the time of registration. (Between my 1st and my 2nd vaccine there was a switch in coordinating agencies ā€“ but the switch was seamless ā€“ it just meant that that the web link in my email for the 2nd shot was going to a different registration site than the first).

The largest number of vaccines have been administered by Kaiser; then by the County, including those who get their health care through the county health department as well as the people who have been invited to the mass vax events ā€“ after that Sutter PMF. So that means that a large percentage have had their vaccines via their primary health care provider.

1 Like

Yes! Job well done. They recognize that a shot in the arm of any person that comes into contact with them can protect them, too. Vaccine sitting in cold storage - no so much.

The tribes in WA were also very well organized and got the job done admirably well. One tribal vaccination center pivoted to vaccination of local teachers as soon the Governor announced that teachers were eligible.

6 Likes

Hoping itā€™s sooner. Many states are moving their vaccination timetable to include everyone much soonerā€¦some by the beginning of May and some sooner.

Ohioā€¦March 29.

CTā€¦APRIL 5.

I feeling optimistic that this will all move along more quickly.

4 Likes

Colorado moves to phase 1b4 (ages 50-59, etc) on Friday. Per the CO vaccine hunter FB group, the ā€œHunger Gamesā€ challenge to get appointments in the prior groups is still intenseā€¦ but it seems not as bad as it was a few weeks ago.

San Francisco reports that more than 72% of over-65 group has been vaccinated, and Solano county is opening up vaccines to everyone over age 50 along with a long list of eligible employment categories, starting with a vaccine clinic at the county fairgrounds today (March 17th)

See: Vaccine updates: Why the Oakland Coliseum mass vaccine site is closing

So even though each county is handling things a little differently, I do think that things are moving forward, probably at about as fast a pace as the supplies will allow.

2 Likes

I think the mass vaccination sites are key to significant progress in getting the population vaccinated. Whoā€™d of ever thought weā€™d be using our sports stadiums indoor and out to vaccine people?

2 Likes

Our area was chosen as one of 4 mass vaccination centers in the state by VDEM/VDH. We were chosen because of our low SES/demographics, poor health, and high covid death rates. We started on Monday and are aiming for 3000 shots/day. We only have 100,000 in our health district, including children < 18, and 20-25% of the population have already had 1 shot. They say we could have herd immunity by May 1. of course, this assumes that > 70% of the population will take the vaccine. I am not confident that that many will do so, but it would be wonderful!

That being said, Mondayā€™s event had a great turnout, but with long waits. Management acknowledged kinks needed to be worked out, but it also sounded like people were showing up without appointments and much earlier/later than their scheduled time. But the ironic part is those waiting in line who are > 65 could have just gone to CVS down the street. As of Monday, they had almost every 15 min. time slot available from 10-7 open from Tuesday-Sunday. Judging from the photo H took for me, most appeared to be >65. I just checked now, an they still have > 30 slots/day open through Sunday.

We also moved into 1c yesterday. That includes most essential workers. The only group left is the general public.

1 Like

MA has just announced new timelines.

60+ and essential workers become eligible next Monday March 22.
55+ and certain medical conditions become eligible on April 5
General Public on April 19.

Iā€™m so excited. I can start looking for an appointment next week.

12 Likes

I wonder if the on line and reservation part of this is what discouraged them from CVS. Maybe the future for getting shots in more of the population is advertising and walk ups. Obviously people didnā€™t know or couldnā€™t navigate CVS.

As a person who got a vaccine from a chain pharmacy, that option seems to the less popular one. The people I know get on waitlists through the health department or popular grocery store chain. But the act of searching and making a reservation seems like an option not thought of. They are waiting for someone to call them.

This is for a older white middle class people I know. I can imagine how circumstances change (income, internet access, knowledge) it will only get worse.

I have looked and find that reservations at the chain pharmacy pop up pretty frequently.

There was a news clip last night about pharmacists and how many hours they are working. One said she was the only one who could do shots at her pharmacy and had done 14 that day, plus all her regular work.

Fourteen doesnā€™t seem like enough to make a dent in the need. I picked up a prescription last week and noticed the Safeway finally started to do them. I saw one couple check in, and that was it. I got mine at the health clinic and they probably did 14 in the time I was there (5 minutes). Just a steady flow. I donā€™t think the instore pharmacies can handle it while also doing their regular business (for which there if often a line).

1 Like

CVS in PA is still essentially full across the whole state. I just checked. When I was there they had a steady stream, but it moved quickly. I was impressed.

My husband is a pharmacist. He can do upwards of 60-80 immunizations in a day during flu shot season, but he is at a very busy location. His employer is scheduling 20 Covid shots per day by appointment, and yes, this is on top of all his regular work, which keeps him busy all day. (On a normal day he rarely has time to sit down during a shift.) The process with paperwork for a Covid vaccine is longer than for a flu shot and I also think they donā€™t want people piling up in close quarters for the 15 minute wait after the shot.
Heā€™s working an overtime shift soon-his employer is running vaccine clinics for teachers and heā€™s needed at one of those.
Most pharmacists are certified vaccinators and thereā€™s a lot of pharmacists. Every one of them doing 14 a day adds up quickly, but not all of them have vaccine. Our local Grocery store pharmacy had the J&J, used them up, and havenā€™t gotten more. Thatā€™s the only vaccine shipment theyā€™ve received.

2 Likes

I got mine at a chain pharmacy. I was told itā€™s a regional center, not all are doing vaccines.

A person right at the front door behind a plastic barrier. Did our paperwork. Another person to lead us to the waiting area. A pharmacy intern, this is a college town with a pharmacy school, gave us our shots. I saw another woman who was putting packets together for us to take home. The syringe was already filled and ready to go.

So I can see where at a small pharmacy that the pharmacist is the only one that can give shots. And Iā€™ve received a flu shot that way in the past. But there can be a well oiled machine that is organized at any facility.

We were asked to only come into the pharmacy 5 minutes before our appointment. We were asked since we came together, if we could wait in our car after it was over. We picked up some Easter candy :grin: and waited in our car.

2 Likes

Walk ups arenā€™t allowed at the mass clinic. They heavily advertised that beforehand and lots tried to do it anyway. I would guess that explaining they couldnā€™t get one unless they pre-registered clogged up the whole system.

CVS on the other hand wasnā€™t advertised very well IMO. I saw one news article before they started several weeks ago and thatā€™s it. Any other news Iā€™ve gotten from other sources around the state. Internet shouldnā€™t be a problem because you can call. It would be a problem if the slots went quickly, but even on day 1 they lasted for a day or two in our area. You do have to be >65 or an educator to go though. The mass clinic takes others with medical conditions and other professions

1 Like

If the >65 and educators have largely either gotten (or refused) vaccines, then it makes sense that CVS is no longer crowded, but other sites which allow people in other categories are playing hunger games.

Thanks for clarifying. Or maybe I misunderstood your post lol!

I still hope that one day soon, anyone will be able to walk up and get a vaccine if they want.

2 Likes