CS Future Career Questions

<p>I’m currently enrolled at the University of Alabama as a freshman right now. I have just completed my first semester.</p>

<p>I’m a Computer Science major, and I love it right now. I am pretty sure I’m going to stick with it. But, I’ve been wondering how CS majors from Alabama stack up against other Universities and in the job market. I’m looking into doing internships over the summer, and my GPA is over 3.5. I’m really just wondering how easy or hard it will be for me to find a job once I graduate.</p>

<p>So, here’s my question: How “esteemed” are CS graduates from Alabama? Are they really capable of going to big companies like Google, Apple, and Microsoft, and compete for jobs there among other top CS universities? Are they more suited for other jobs? Do they need to go to graduate school before they’re capable of being really hired?</p>

<p>onthefenceal… good question, and I will be interested in seeing the responses. Most departments keep some type of statistics on how graduates have done in the work force. Have you asked the CS department what the statistics are? </p>

<p>Other than that, I would give you the same advice I gave my son as he was considering Alabama for CS (entering UA next year as Freshman). A degree from UA (or many other universities) may not give you the automatic foot in the door that a CS degree from CMU would. But the opportunities and activities that you engage in while a student at UA may. Make connections, participate in research/internships/co-op opportunities, and join degree specific organizations. Those contacts and experiences, along with a degree from a respected university will provide you with job opportunities after graduation.</p>

<p>Google recently gave Bama a grant, so Google certainly knows about Bama and must think its program is worth supporting.</p>

<p>However, I don’t know any Bama CS graduates. This forum has become more popular within the last 2 years or so, so most people posting are students (or parents of students) who are freshmen and sophomores.</p>

<p>Since you’d only be a rising soph this summer, it may be too early, but begin looking into Summer REU programs. Some only take rising juniors and seniors, but some may accept a rising soph.</p>

<p>[US</a> NSF - REU - List Result](<a href=“Search Results for REU Sites | NSF - National Science Foundation”>REU Sites | NSF - National Science Foundation)</p>

<p>The above REU’s are fully funded internships…funded by the NSF.</p>

<p>Contact Dr. David Cordes for more info about CS specific opportunities.</p>

<p>I’m not sure about large commercial companies outside Alabama, but if you’re interested in the aerospace or defense fields, government contracting companies based here in Huntsville look very favorably upon grads from UA, UAHuntsville, and Auburn.</p>

<p>My husband works for NASA through a contractor company. He has spent his career writing software for microgravity and crystal growth experiments on space shuttle payloads, and on life systems support and various other programs for both US-based and international-based parts of the space station. He’s now involved in a major earth observation system program, and writing the control software for that.</p>

<p>Interesting thing: he does not have a computer science degree. His degree is from UAH: electrical and computer engineering, which they no longer offer. Although his degree is hardware focused, he’s spent the past 25 years writing software.</p>

<p>*How “esteemed” are CS graduates from Alabama? Are they really capable of going to big companies like Google, Apple, and Microsoft, and compete for jobs there among other top CS universities? Are they more suited for other jobs? Do they need to go to graduate school before they’re capable of being really hired? *</p>

<p>Bama grads are going to viewed as any other grad from a national univ. No, you don’t have to go to grad school first. </p>

<p>as with most STEM majors, it always helps to do internships and other projects that will enhance your resume.</p>

<p>I can’t speak on the CS department but I’m sure as long as you maintain your GPA and continue to seek out internships, then you won’t have a problem finding a job. Also, join your professional student organizations and attend as many career fairs, conferences, etc as you can so you can begin building your network.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>UAProphet is a recent Bama grad in ChemE and is now working in his field in Wisconsin (don’t know if that’s him home state or not).</p>

<p>Since there have been several questions about CS at Bama, I decided to send an email to Dr. Cordes (dept head) to get some clarifications and answers. I asked about co-ops, internships, game design, graphic design, job placement (in and out of state), facilities, research, etc. </p>

<p>I’ll let you know when he responds. :)</p>

<p>Nope not my home town. I’m pretty much from Alabama!</p>