CS and ME Recruiting

<p>First post on CC. I have lurked occaisionally for the last couple of years and finally decided to register today.
My younger son is a rising junior so we still have a bit of time but have started looking at colleges he will begin applying to in about a year. He is a good student (gpa:4.0, sophomore SAT:680CR, 670M, 660W) and plans on studying either computer science or mechanical engineering. UA hit our radar screen largely due to the generous merit scholarships offered. We have been unable to find any information on what companies hire and recruit CS or ME graduates from UA. Can someone point us the right way? Thanks.</p>

<p>If your son is interested in the automotive industry, UA is definitely the place to go. Besides the Mercedes plant, there are auxiliary vendors in the area that he could possibly gain experience in through internships/coops. Good luck!</p>

<p>This is a list of the companies that were scheduled to come to campus last year for the fall technical career fair:</p>

<p>[The</a> Career Center](<a href=“http://career.ua.edu/employers/calendarParticipants.cfm?CFID=914]The”>http://career.ua.edu/employers/calendarParticipants.cfm?CFID=914)</p>

<p>There is a separate general/business career fair.</p>

<p>I am sure they work with other companies for co-ops that are not listed here and if you look at the calendar at the career center site at [The</a> Career Center](<a href=“Events - Career Center”>Events - Career Center) there is a schedule of businesses that have information sessions where students can learn about opportunities and make contacts.</p>

<p>There are most likely more employers that have relationships with specific departments, but this is a starting point.</p>

<p>Thank you. This is the kind of information I was looking for.</p>

<p>Do you know where we could find information on the success rate of UA CS grads landing jobs upon graduation? I looked around on the Career center but did not find anything.</p>

<p>Any idea how the CS program at UA compares to the one at Texas A&M?</p>

<p>looking at the UA list, i think A&M has a lot more desirable companies recruiting. </p>

<p>IMO, this is an area where UA could use some work. if a guy like seatide doesn’t have a job upon graduation … idk what to say.</p>

<p>idk if you can get this info for UA grads. TAMU had 25 CS grads (& 63 ME grads) who got offers in spring of 2012. idk how many CS (or ME) grads there were, though.</p>

<p>TAMU has a lot of good career information available. The number with jobs and salary offered is all from a self reported survey so probably nowhere near complete but at least it gives a prospective candidate an idea. I was/am looking for similar data from UA.</p>

<p>I think I will send an email to the carreer center and see if they can provide anything.</p>

<p>Here is a first destination report from 2012: <a href=“http://career.ua.edu/downloads/firstDestination/First%20Destination%20Report%20ENG%20May%202012.pdf[/url]”>http://career.ua.edu/downloads/firstDestination/First%20Destination%20Report%20ENG%20May%202012.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>The state of Alabama has Cummings Research Park, which is the second largest research park in the nation…so LOTS of high tech companies to get jobs from.</p>

<p>This state and this country does not have a bunch of unemployed new Eng’g and CS grads. There are jobs to be had. The student just needs to make sure he has a decent GPA (THAT is looked at by prospective companies. I wouldn’t worry about it.</p>

<p>Montegut: Got your PM but don’t have enough posts to reply, Thank you.</p>

<p>RTRMom2: Thank you, this is a good summary and pretty much what I was looking for at this point.</p>

<p>Thank you, also, RTRMom2, for that link. Great info.
I would love to see a breakdown on what majors got employment. Just interested as to what majors are finding jobs nowadays, no matter what college they graduate from.</p>

<p>Engineering majors likely have the highest or one of the highest % of employment success at graduation or soon after. </p>

<p>My H’s company had several Bama eng’g grads start working shortly after May grad.</p>