CS Major Financial Help

I’ve mentioned this a lot now but, my HS counselor and nearly everyone I asked personally told me to either start considering a new major or not do it at all because of how hard transferring for CS was. Gumbymom sent the actual numbers which calmed me down a bit however, so it’s my current best bet, though it still leaves me worried on how I handle finances once I transfer again, since I’d be at SMC for 1-2 semesters to get the requirements I need

I would strongly encourage you to try to stay an additional year in high school, @Ramlord. You don’t sound ready for the next step, and given that you are a year younger than other graduates, I don’t see a reason to rush things. I tried to research the California education code to see if schools are allowed to make a student graduate in three years simply because they have met graduation requirements. I couldn’t find anything, which doesn’t mean they can’t make you leave … but it also doesn’t tell me that they actually can do that. I just feel like rushing out of high school is perhaps not the best move for you.

5 Likes

For the record, I find nothing wrong with your writing style. You are coming through as a mature and pragmatic young man who is trying to navigate a difficult situation. I also appreciate your keeping an open mind about the suggestions and feedback provided here on this thread.

You’ll do great wherever you land. I wish you well.

9 Likes

This is what I’m having a hard time getting my head around. Many advanced students reach the minimum “graduation requirements” but do not leave high school. Part of what makes them desirable for highly rejective schools is that they continued to challenge themselves by exceeding those minimum requirements.

OP, I’m not doubting you, but I do wonder if there is some misunderstanding or miscommunication about this requirement as you understand it. I’m concerned you are needlessly being forced into a rushed and ill-suited decision because of understanding that it is your only option.

6 Likes

I disagree with your counselor.

You SHOULD NOT be leaving early but if you are, you need a soft landing to regroup or re start.

There are many first year scholarships that you’ve seen. But it may be too late to get some. That says gap year.

Otherwise the CCs will get you to a CS or UC. The state is set up for this - probably moreso than any other.

There’s just way too many moving parts.

Where are your parents to assist you in the decision making. They can’t shy away forever.

Okay, but you won’t need much to bridge the gap and it could be that paying outright is a better financial decision than the PLUS loan route you seem set on. It might be a moot point if you end up with good internships.

Are you willing to use your own savings, work in the summers, and take student loans in your name?

I am yeah

2 Likes

Do the arithmetic. Will you have enough to support four full years of college if you start now…with the current costs to attend you are looking at?

@ucbalumnus @Gumbymom I’m not sure who to tag who may know about a CA public high school’s obligation to allow student to complete four years of high school, regardless of meeting graduation requirements. Any ideas?

Does the State of CA offer four years of high school to its residents?
Does the State of CA provide DE options to kids who are interested in college level classes (or who have exceeded the offerings of their district high school)?
Can a State of CA public school force a student to graduate early???

3 Likes

@DramaMama2021 this was written…and this is exactly where this student needs to start.

2 Likes

I cannot find anything in the California Education code that states a high school can force a student to graduate early. Each school district can determine the minimum HS graduation requirements but they make no mention of any maximum to “force” a student to graduate.

@Ramlord: If you can post your HS/School district name, perhaps a search may turn up specific information regarding your HS districts early graduation policies?

1 Like

@Ramlord how much will your parents need to take on Plus Loans to make this work now? $25,000 a year? Let’s use that for discussion purposes. That would be $100,000 total for the four years. Repayment for 10 years would be over $1000 a month.

Can your parents put aside $1000 a month NOW? If not, how can you expect them to do so when your dad is fully retired. You don’t mention employment for your mom.

This type of debt could end up being crippling. And I’m betting you are going to respond that you will be making these payments. But really…there is no guarantee that will be able to happen.

Think of the finances first. I’m going to put this in your house. You are closing a business because it’s no longer profitable…and the return isn’t there anymore. Right now…the money to pay for the colleges on your list isn’t there either.

I DO think you have the potential to get a decent merit award at some school…but I hate that you are rushing this…and I’m not sure the reason for the rush.

A gap year isn’t the worst thing in the world. Staying in HS an additional year needs to be explored, in my opinion, also. Don’t rush!

4 Likes

redact/redact
(Going to put this here on the off chance someone tries it, please don’t contact my school about this. I’ll take the steps necessary)

1 Like

No one will contact the school. Just wondering if they have an early graduation policy or if your HS counselor is jerking your chain so to speak.

3 Likes

I’ll assure you I wouldn’t have even considered graduating early had my parents been upfront from the start, the amount of stress I’m going through because of this is really starting to get through to me. A gap year scares me specifically because I know the damage it’ll do, I’ve basically spent the past 4 or 5 years consistently working whether it be during school or a break, if I get a break that long it’ll destroy my work ethic, as well as my mental health since I’m one of those who feel really guilty when I’m not using 99% of my time productively (also will be cut off from most of my friends who’ll be busy doing what I already did for the most part). But I will explore it, since obviously the negatives of rushing into uni now far outweigh the damage of one year

That is what I am wondering… is it an underfunded district more focused on getting kids out?

name of my school and district, redact is an abbreviation but both are official/legal names for each

We’re basically bankrolled by redact so I heavily doubt that, logically I really don’t see a reason for my HS to do it since we’re facing declining enrollment and a district split, while we have heavy weight private schools surrounding us. So I’d assume they’d want to keep everyone they can but obviously it’s not the case,

No one is telling you to sit on the couch eating Bon bons for a year. A gap year can be a productive one. You can work. You might find a significant place to volunteer your expertise.

Re: your friends…if you graduate early, you won’t be doing what your HS friends are doing anyway. You will and should be making new connections.

You could take a certification course in coding…not a college course. A coding course. Or become an EMT…or something like that.

IOW, you could be busier during a gap year than in HS or college.

4 Likes

I’d remove the names of your high school and school district from a public forum like this, if I were you. You’ve given enough other information about yourself to identify you.

3 Likes