Current Junior at Purdue- Any Questions about Purdue?

<p>That was the wrong link, here is the right one. [Dtella</a> Labs](<a href=“http://dtella.org/]Dtella”>http://dtella.org/). Using this program, you basically allow users to share documents with one another and access to whatever media folder you allow people to download stuff off of. It is very secure to use, never had a problem with it…setting up is a little tricky. There is a WIKI page for that so just follow that. It only works at Purdue and you need a Purdue ISP for it to work.</p>

<p>How do you match the courses?</p>

<p>For me. I first access mypurdue > Academic tab > Look Up Classes.</p>

<p>If there are more than 5 choices, it starts to get complicated. Especially you are matching against 3-4 other courses.</p>

<p>Care to share your tips and tricks?</p>

<p>Great question. Purdue has a horrible registration process. It’s very confusing the first couple times but it’s not bad after you learn some tricks. This website is really great and lets you see where classes fit in your schedule [Purdue</a> Courses - EmilStefanov.net](<a href=“emilstefanov.net - This website is for sale! - emilstefanov Resources and Information.”>Loading...). If it doesn’t go straight to the course scheduler screen, just follow the instructions on the website. I would use this website and get the CRN for each class and then go straight to the scheduler and put all the CRN all at once. You’ll save a lot of time that way. </p>

<p>Some times I will open a new tab and go to mypurdue > academics > schedule > week at a glance. Then I’ll also open up a tab and start scheduling. I’ll go back and forth between the two tabs and see how my schedule is filling up. (If you do this, make sure to refresh the week at a glance tab every time you add a class).</p>

<p>How are the academics there? What does Purdue mainly focus on?</p>

<p>^Purdue mainly focus on Engineering… But I’ll let bjunior answer your questions lol.</p>

<p>Don’t have decision letter yet, but I have another question:</p>

<p>When I visited and we we went inside Cary (where this dude took over for the dorm portion of the tour).When we arrive in a room (aside from the shocking distance between the bed and the wall) and the topic of Laptops came up. He said he didn’t had Wi-Fi IN the dorm room and he had to go downstairs (or wherever to use Wi-fi) Also he had a Mac. I’m getting a Laptops but me and my fam are totally unsure of what to get a Mac or PC. Right now we’re lending toward Mac but a few weeks ago we thought about the PC more. So can you answer this most difficult dilemma with the least bias?</p>

<p>“How are the academics there? What does Purdue mainly focus on?”</p>

<p>That’s no problem if you answer the question, Descuff haha. But academics here at Purdue is very well rounded. Yes, engineering is what we’re known for- I think we’re ranked top 10 in the nation for Engineering. Majority of the student population are in some form of engineering. Our business school is also very great. Our undergrad business school was ranked 21 in the nation by U.S. News and World Report. I’m assuming it only went up in 2013. Our hospitality and management is one of the best in U.S. as well, I believe that’s top 10.</p>

<p>So as you can see Purdue is excellent when it comes to academics. All of our schools we have at Purdue are some of the best in the nation. When you come here, be ready to work your butt off. I know a lot of people that dropped out after their freshman year just because they couldn’t handle their classes. If you make it through those four or however many years you’re going to be there, you’ll be glad you stuck in it though. Purdue is recognized by a lot of people, not just in the States but Internationally as well.</p>

<p>Descuff-</p>

<p>Yes it’s true there is no wi-fi in rooms unless Purdue changed that recently. My roommate and I just bought a $40 router and it worked great. As far as what laptop to get, I see a ton of Macs here at Purdue. I personally have a HP Envy 14 and I love it. I would rather get a PC but that’s just me. I feel Macs are overpriced for the specifications you get, you’re really just paying for the quality of the laptop. You can get a laptop with much more power and the same quality as a Mac for the same price range. I like to play to my occasional PC games so that’s why I got a powerful laptop. I know a lot of games aren’t compatible with Mac. </p>

<p>Like I said, I would get a PC. You get more bang for your buck. Just make sure if you do decide to get a PC, get a solid durable one that will last you all 4 years. If you don’t need all that power and want the solid build quality, get the low-end Macs.</p>

<p>Hope I helped! Sorry if I don’t respond for a few days. Finals are coming up next week so I’ll be spending most of my time in the library studying.</p>

<p>Ok. Thank again. Good luck on the finals.</p>

<p>Sent from my LG-VM696 using CC</p>

<p>Can you tell me anything about the coops for engineering (I realize you are not an engineering student). How easy is it to get a coop, what type of support is there for getting a coop, and how many semesters do people usually coop for?</p>

<p>palves - The ease of getting a coop depends on your major. Majors such as mechanical an chemical have more companies looking to hire coops then say aero/astro. Also, the higher your first semester GPA an involvement is the better. Interviewing well goes a long way in the coop process. I know in chemE we have a professional practice adviser that works with coop students to prepare them for interviews. If you get a coop as a freshman, you’re usually looking at 5 work sessions. If you get one as a sophomore, you’re looking at a 3 session coop. And I know, also again at least in chemE, that the coop students stick together. I think that covers all of your questions.</p>

<p>I have a question (since we now have two “answer-ers” on here lmao). Uh I’m a gamer and I require internet connection to play my games. Also I like to surf the internet at the same time (not while actually playing a game). I heard that there were no wireless connection in the dorm room but there is an Ethernet cable. Is it like a pull in wall thingy? If so how many are there? Also can you get wi-fi on your phone in the dorm? I’m still lost on this.</p>

<p>Thank you for answering that question naturaldisaster! Saved me there, didn’t know much about co-ops. I do know it’s a popular choice among students here. I actually have a friend doing a co-op next semester and he’s an engineering major. But once you’re a student at Purdue, I would visit the Purdue CCO office in Stewart Center and ask them, I’m sure they will know a lot more. Also be sure to visit their website and you can search for Co-Ops on there as well.</p>

<p>Now on to descuff’s question! There is no wireless connection in the dorm rooms. You have to bring your own ethernet cable or I think you can buy one from the dorms but it is a complete rip-off. There is only one outlet in the rooms so I would try to get that side haha. Purdue really needs to fix that…although, they might have. It’s been 2 1/2 years since I’ve been in the dorms so can’t be entirely positive.</p>

<p>How difficult would you say Krannert in general is? I’m most likely majoring in economics with a concentration in finance and possibly a minor in philosophy (if that’s allowed). I hope to get into law school, so of course I’d need high grades (at Least 3.75… Aiming for 3.8). Given ample studying, would you say it’s possible? In engineering it’s unlikely obviously, so I’m hoping Krannert will be different!</p>

<p>Krannert is pretty tough. A lot of people think its business so it must be easy but not true. Yeah, some of the classes aren’t tough (mostly your intro classes) but upper-division classes are tough. I think 3.8 is doable but you’re gonna have to work very hard. Economics is one of the tougher majors at Krannert. What I hate most about Krannert is their grading policy, which says that the average gpa of the class should be a 3.0. This makes it really hard to get an A in the class, you’re going to have to go above and beyond. For example, in my Business Statistics class I just took this semester, I had a 95% the whole semester. My professor decides to make the final 50% of our grade and makes it ridiculously hard compared to our first exam. The averages on the first exam were around 85%. One the final the averages were around 68%. I ended up with a B+ in the class and was pretty ****ed but I’ll take it.</p>

<p>Just be prepared to work hard. Just a heads up these classes are more tough than some other business classes at purdue: managerial accounting (VERY DIFFICULT), managerial economics (VERY DIFFICULT), corporate finance, operations management, and business law.</p>

<p>Thank you for that explanation! I really would like to go into corporate law, and I feel that a good business background is quite important. Hence, going to Purdue. I just want to make sure that I’ll be able to have the ability to go to one of the top tier law schools afterwards.
Also, do you know anything about the direct admit program? I received a letter regarding it, but there seems like there is almost no information online regarding.</p>

<p>As long as you focus on your studies you will be fine. But Purdue’s direct admit program is kind of a joke. It’s not actually “direct” admit. Yeah, you are in Krannert School of Business but you have to take all the lower-division courses that people CODOing into Krannert have to take as well. To get into upper-division your MAI gpa has to be 3.0 or above. It consists of math courses, english, and electives. Everyone usually gets into Upper-Division by 2nd semester sophomore year or beginning of junior year.</p>

<p>So I still have to take all those basic classes? ugh. Hopefully they will accept AP credit. Thanks for the help! At this point I pretty much AM going so. yeah. Excited!</p>

<p>I will be a freshman next year. And I haven’t decided my major. Does that mean it will be difficult for me to choose a major in the future? Will I under much higher pressure? And what classes will I attend if I have no major?
By the way, how is Purdue’s economics major?</p>

<p>Pitt13- If you have a lot of AP’s then I’m sure a few will transfer over and hopefully you won’t have to take many lower-division courses but some are necessary that can only be taken at the Purdue campus. Either way, good luck!</p>

<p>inthecollege- Don’t worry if you haven’t decided a major yet. A lot of people switch majors after their freshman year (mostly engineers lol). But if you’re looking to get into Krannert then you have to CODO into it. You have to attend a required meeting that takes place near the beginning of the semester that tells you all the requirements you have to meet to CODO into Krannert. Basically, you have to take the same lower-division classes and meet a certain GPA requirement. This kinda goes along with your question of “what classes will you take if you have no major?” You basically take all the intro classes that the people in your major are taking. You just aren’t recognized by that specific school and won’t be able to take the upper-division classes until you are officially part of the school.</p>

<p>As mentioned earlier, Economics is one of the harder majors at Krannert. Every Econ class I have taken here at Purdue has been very difficult. Be prepared to work hard. Some concepts may seem easy but you’ll have to apply them to more difficult situations.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help. I really appreciate your reply.</p>