Currently a Petroleum Engineering Student at TAMU-Ask me Anything!

<p>I hear that advisers really push students to take calculus/physics at A&M and not take the AP credit. Did you take any credits? Or do you know in general how students who do take the credit are viewed by the adviser (for not taking their advice)? If you could only take one, which would you opt out of taking the credit, calculus or physics?</p>

<p>@TiberiusShift</p>

<p>It depends on the department. When I met my advisor last summer he asked me what my goals were. I looked him in the eye and told him my goal is to graduate in 4 years. Most engineers graduate in 5. I had the AP scores/grades to justify taking the credit. I think my advisor respected my decision to take as many credits as possible. He even told me I may be able to finish with a masters degree in 4 years with all of the credit I accepted. My advice is to take as many credits as you can. I really wish I took physics in high school as well. I know EE and ME departments are a little less encouraging but the PETE department is more than willing to work with you if you tell them what your goals are from the beginning.</p>

<p>I’m not joking when I say there is almost no benefit of taking a class again. If you learned the material well in high school take the credit and ensure you graduate in 4 years.</p>

<p>What were your stats???</p>

<p>You took credit for calc 1/2, and took 3 this past semester? Do you think you missed anything from 1/2 that hindered you in calc 3?</p>

<p>Thanks for your input.</p>

<p>@TiberiusShift</p>

<p>Since I didn’t take physics in high school I was pretty lost regarding vectors at first. But it is an easy concept to learn and I didn’t have too much trouble overall.</p>

<p>FullMetal, What do you know about the Texas A&M Campus in Qatar? It is relatively new so should it be avoided?</p>

<p>@RedEyeJedi</p>

<p>Unfortunately I don’t know much about it but I am exploring the possibility of going there myself for one semester!</p>

<p>Hey FullMetalx
How is a&m with scholarships and financial aid.
How are the dorms
How hard are the courses (specially science and the dreaded calculus)
Thank you very much gig em</p>

<p>MODERATOR’S NOTE
Please note that “Ask Me” threads are not permitted on College Confidential, because they deter people from creating threads that get responses from multiple posters, or getting other points of view.</p>

<p>The original poster of such threads is, of course, more than welcome to respond to any questions that are asked on the open boards.</p>