Chance at Petroleum engineering?

<p>I'm very interested in petroleum engineering. One of the harder majors to get. Chemical engineering would be my second choice.</p>

<p>What are my chances at PetE? My application will be completed and submitted in the next week.</p>

<p>About Me....</p>

<p>High School Class of 2014
UGPA: 3.9/4.0
WGPA: 5.1/6.0
Rank: Competitive non-ranking Texas High School and I'm not in the top 10%. I don't know where I stand but a guess is around the 12% mark for a class of 700.
ACT: 33 Composite (35 Math; 35 English; 33 Science; 29 Reading)</p>

<p>I know I'm an academic admit to A&M.</p>

<p>AP classes (APUSH, Calc B/C, etc and dual credit classes) and honors classes. I got 4's in all APs so far.</p>

<p>School awards for digital graphics and physics.
Football, baseball and summer lacrosse.
National Honor Society</p>

<p>3 year Captain and leader of fund raising event for cancer.
3 year mentor and leader for middle school kids.
Challenger baseball volunteer helping kids with mental and physical challenges play the game.</p>

<p>Did summer intern work this year for a small oil company covering many facets of production. They have asked me back again for next summer.</p>

<p>Employed junior/senior years as a math and reading tutor. (15 hours per week) </p>

<p>Good rec letters and currently working on and essays. I struggled with the essays at first and then a great epiphany hit me and the essays should be solid. </p>

<p>So what do you think? A chance at PetE?</p>

<p>There was some talk of change regarding the “first-come, first-served” approach to admissions in the engineering department. I don’t know if that has taken place yet, and I don’t remember what it entailed.</p>

<p>But your stats are great and I think your chances are fantastic. I would encourage you to get your application in as early as possible! :)</p>

<p>tjdTexas, I think you have excellent chances of getting into A&M. As far as getting into PetE or ChemE, as Cromette mentioned, admissions to engineering for the freshman class of 2014 are changing. I have heard several versions of what will take place. The latest is that all freshman students the first year will be considered general engineering students. Once the student has taken some core freshman engineering classes and satisfied whatever each individual department requires for grade point ratio, then they will be admitted into that department. Each department sets their own requirements so, you might want to call the PetE and ChemE departments for more details on their specific requirements.</p>

<p>@aggiering I am an auto-admit to A&M. The only question is if I can get into PetE. They mentioned something to us during a visit about not doing the first-come first-served thing with applications but nothing was formal at that time. They did not mention anything about a generic first year. That will be a big change for them if they go that route. I’m not sure I like. I don’t want to spend a year at a school NOT knowing what I get to major in.</p>

<p>tjdTexas, I was a little surprised by this new change as well. I think they are doing this since all the core engineering freshman courses are the same so, it really does not matter what your major is that first year. It will allow the freshman engineering students to explore the different disciplines before you have to commit to a particular major. I am sure a lot of students think they want to major in one thing and once they start taking courses in that major, they realize it is not what they were wanting or expecting. This will avoid students wasting time and money on classes in a major they decide against.</p>

<p>I can see it both ways. One way they help the kid that isn’t sure about which discipline to take but on the hand a kid that knows what he wants is not sure if that is what he will get.</p>

<p>It will help some and hurt others.</p>

<p>@tjdTexas - I think you have a good chance at PetE if the rules stay the same as they are now about being admitted to a major. If that changes then no one will know.</p>

<p>I actually remember reading in one of the threads, from someone in the know, that the 10% auto would be somehow lowered for engineering majors. Can’t recall which thread it’s in now.</p>

<p>I don’t think you have to worry TJD because any tweaking of the system should be to ensure that the most qualified students get first choice of majors. Your stats should net you the PE major that you want, even if you had to start off as a general engineering admit. You’d want to have a competitive gpa at the end of freshman year anyway.</p>

<p>Any other comments on my chances? I will be finishing the application in the next few days and submitting to both A&M and UT.</p>

<p>Does this system change allow students who apply later have better chances at petroleum engineering seats?</p>

<p>Does this change make it harder or easier to get into A&M engineering?</p>

<p>TJD- You had no reason to even post this. Your chances of getting into PetE are 100%. Submit your app with crappy essays if you have to they don’t read them.</p>

<p>Also, you will be eligible for scholarship(s) totaling >$10,000 at A&M with your stats. That will be mailed to you by March.</p>

<p>Apply early, you’ll be admitted into general engineering. Keep your grades up, meet the requirements, and you can enter your discipline. No worries. They did tell us that the class of 2017 would be the last class of engineering admitted directly into their discipline.</p>

<p>@TAMUPreMed - I did have reason to post. There is no guarantee I will be admitted to the major I want. As I said I know I’m an academic admit to the university but that doesn’t mean I can study what I’m interested in. And according to cromette I may not know until the second year. Sounds like I could possibly be in the “guinea pig class”. Thanks for the info about scholarships! I had no idea TAMU would possibly give me some money being in-state and not being a top tier student like a val/sal or NMF.</p>

<p>@cromette - I know that has been talked about. I just don’t like it because it makes you commit to a school without knowing what your discipline will be.</p>

<p>tjdTexas,</p>

<p>I know, but I wouldn’t let that stop me if I were you! :slight_smile: Make the grade, and I’m pretty sure you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>With a 33 on your ACT you’re into PetE no doubt man. Don’t worry about it. Thank God they started not accepting people directly. That was so freaking stupid! I would’ve probably gotten into BMEN if that was the case. Whatever.</p>

<p>Wait im still confused, how does this change affect the applicants and where they get admitted to? Does this change make admissions harder?</p>

<p>Since it will be a new process I’m not sure anyone knows how it will affect admissions. I guess students get admitted to general engineering for the first year. The ones that make the cut apply to their desired major at the end of the freshman year. Either you get accepted to your desired major or offered an alternative. It may actually increase your chance of being accepted initially but you may not get your desired major for year 2.</p>

<p>It was touched on during the campus visit we had this spring but that was about it. I think @cromette knows more.</p>

<p>I don’t know how the percentages will fall out. I don’t think anyone does. Everyone will be general engineering at first. If the gpa meets the criteria, they’ll be admitted to their discipline. They did not address with us what would happen as disciplines fill up and how that would be handled, or how the competition for the available slots will work.</p>