Curriculum Vitae

<p>How different is a CV from a resume? When I compared my resume to sample CVs online, they have similar format. I might just fix a few things and send in my resume. What do you think?</p>

<p>CV and resume are one and the same thing.</p>

<p>Not always. A resume is generally just a resume, and the format isn’t going to change much when you send it to different people. CVs for academic positions and CVs for jobs are different. A CV for a job is supposed to be two pages (instead of a resume, which is one) and a CV for an academic position is supposed to include everything, no matter how long you have to make it. You’ll probably be fine polishing up your resume and sending it in though, since I doubt you have enough publications and stuff that you’d need extra pages.</p>

<p>They’re not the same thing. On a resume, you have very little time to sell yourself and catch the eye of the person who’s scanning it. Because if they’re an employer, they WILL be just scanning it.</p>

<p>A resume should be a single page giving the best highlights about you and what you’ve done. A CV should include just about everything, and is expected to go into more detail. An example using George Washington:</p>

<p>Resume:
*Led colonist forces to victory in American Revolution</p>

<p>CV:
*Led colonist forces to victory in American Revolution
-Forced Cornwallis to surrender
-Crossed Delaware River</p>

<p>You kind of get the idea. If someone asks for a CV, I’d be happy if I were you. You’ll have an easier time standing out because your can list more things. Professors and high-standing academic people will often have very long CVs that include papers and other publications, too.</p>