CVS Nightmare- Is it a national phenomenon?

@MDMom1975 I live in MD also. Your reply caught my eye because apparently our Target CVS is the only one that people routinely recommend for people who must use CVS for prescriptions. They seem to be the only location where people have good luck, probably b/c the location is somewhat inconvenient for most unless they are already going to that Target.

I never go to that Target b/c it is located in a congested area but happened to go last week when it first opened. I needed a flu shot so walked up to the empty pharmacy, after mistakenly trying to go to the Minute Clinic right next to it. Was able to immediately get a flu shot while the woman at the Minute Clinic, who I chatted with before realizing I was in the wrong place, was still waiting for her flu shot at the Clinic.

Anyway, my point is that where I live in MD, the CVS inside Target is apparently the only one where locals are not having any issues. The standalone locations are the ones that are awful. Unfortunately the Target is not at all a convenient place for me to fill prescriptions but thankfully my insurance allows me to go elsewhere.

Which insurance companies are giving their insureds to a CVS monopoly for prescriptions?

Our BCBS which insures about 80% of our state signed a contract, making CVS preferred pharmacy, meaning your copays are lowest when you use them. :frowning:

They’ve gone from bad to much much worse.

2 Likes

Our policy through Aetna is negotiated for maximum benefit through CVS.

1 Like

I’ve been to 3 different CVS stores in the past two weeks for an assortment of prescriptions and shots for myself and other family members–and they’ve all been fine! (I’m in CA.) I have one rx that is often out of stock and I just call a couple days ahead and they order it for me (it’s been this way for years.) I’ve made same day appts for shots and there’s no wait.

There’s a national database for actual drug shortages, but that is different than if a specific pharmacy has stock or only works with certain manufacturers.

fwiw: I also have Aetna, which CVS purchased a few years ago, and the pharmacy at the local Albertson’s grocery store is also Preferred (max benefit), at least in their Medicare Part D network. (Get any vaccine and get a coupon for 10% off on your next grocery bill.) Costco Pharm also shows up as Preferred, altho I haven’t tried them.

Suggest y’all check the national website or your respective plan to search for other favored pharmacies in your locale.

Looks like CVS is the largest pharmacy in the US, with 26.8% of the prescription revenues:

Yes, this is also happening at our local CVS. They even close the drive through service on some days when they are especially short-staffed.

Walgreens though is even worse. 1 hr + waits in line either drive through or inside walk up.

I do wonder about so-called staff shortages and not being able to find enough pharmacy techs. I have a friend who applied for several of these positions and never heard back. Sometimes I think that stores purposely don’t add staff due to corporate not wanting to pay higher wages. Two years ago if there was an hour-long wait for a drugstore drive through that would not be tolerated and most would move their business elsewhere. Now stores know they can have these long waits and nobody balks because we accept the Covid excuse. Just food for thought.

2 Likes

Is it accepting the COVID-19 excuse, or because marketplace consolidation and insurance contracts / preferences have caused many people to face an effective monopoly on pharmacies? Pharmacies do not seem to be unique in this respect, but insurance arrangements that give a single preferred pharmacy can create monopoly situations where there ordinarily would not be.

1 Like

CVS Owns Aetna.

1 Like

CVS owns Aetna and a mail order pharmacy.

My spouse is a pharmacist not with CVS or Walgreens. He says he hasn’t seen any shortage of drugs or supply problems at his company or otherwise. He thinks it must be a problem with CVS supply chain.

2 Likes

I have about a dozen meds—have not had problems getting them at any time, as long as I renew them or call them in ahead of time—72 hours or more is safest.

I liked it better when I could go to whatever pharmacy was convenient but now that cvs and my BCBS signed a contract, I mostly go to CVS because I like having the lowest copay and have become very good friends with the cvs pharmacist (even followed him when he was promoted to a different store. He’s very frustrated by the systemic cvs issues and working to improve them as best he can.

H has never had trouble getting his Rx filled in a timely manner from cvs as well.

1 Like

Received a response from the store manager after submitting a feedback questionnaire they sent to my email: In part, it read “we are experiencing severe staffing issues across our entire district. There just aren’t enough pharmacists, techs, and front store colleagues”

Does baffle me why it began in September, but at least they are owning up.

My CVS has a double drive through. One line is for meds and Covid testing, the other line is strictly for meds. I always use that line and I’ve never had to wait more than a few minutes. The CVS DH uses doesn’t have a drive through, but he has never mentioned a problem.

Our Target pharmacy became a CVS, like all the other Target pharmacies. Immediately, there was a change in how well they did everything. When it was a Target Pharmacy, there was always a pharmacy tech along with the pharmacist…so picking up a RX was quick and easy. Those techs are now gone…so the pharmacist is doing everything.

Also, we saw pharmacists change sort of frequently. You never knew who was going to be behind the counter.

Their phone ordering system is screwed up, and so is their auto refill text system.

We switched to a local pharmacy which has excellent customer service, no issues so far, and they will deliver also at home cost in our little town. Plus they have a great gift section…locally made gifts. I always seem to find something!!

Went to a different CVS today for a flu vaccine. Was in and out within minutes. The guy who gave me the vaccine was really good-I didn’t even feel it!

1 Like

Interesting. This CVC is inside the Target in Cockeysville. If I do go to Target, it’s usually on the weekend and there is almost always a line for Rx. I made my booster appointment for a Walgreens that is rarely busy. We shall see.

The pharmacy H used to go to just closed and his prescriptions were transferred to a CVS. He wasn’t particularly happy when he found out this was happening primarily because of the location of the CVS, but then after reading this thread he was starting to get worried. Today, out of the blue, a CVS pharmacist called him telling him they had all his prescriptions, reviewed them with him, and discussed when they would be filled next. H was really impressed. We’ll see how it goes when he actually needs to fill them.

Well, this is not from CVS, but just got an email from Rite-Aid saying that they would be closing an hour early M-F and limiting their walk-in vaccine hours as well. Appointments outside of walk-in hours would still be available.

Hmmm.

I have found that when I go to the 24 hour cvs in the evenings after dinner, it’s not crowded as ndd dad lines are very short. (Less staff but MUCH less waiting.)