D21 journey

Across from BC right by the train station is an acai place, taco place and I don’t know what else? Agree with the rec for Tatte in Boston.

2 Likes

There is also the Chestnut Hill mall about 1.5 miles from campus. That general area has lots of restaurants, stores, and a Wegmans (and other) grocery stores. D20 has become a true Bostonian this year. I am surprised at how she thinks nothing about hopping on a train to run into Boston for the smallest of errands.

2 Likes

I think the behind the scenes folks are continuing to link colleges this way. Not sure. I’m guessing we will see a point where most colleges will automatically link?

1 Like

My bet is on Colgate.

3 Likes

To state the obvious, your daughter should be very proud of the results.

Truthfully, I only see one rejection (Vanderbilt), but that was an acknowledged reach since early in this thread.

Compare the results of 9 acceptances, 2 waitlists including one with a $20,000 scholarship, and 2 denials to another thread in which the applicant was denied admission to all 18 targeted schools.

Because OP’s son attends Bowdoin College, a school which is also in the East makes logistical sense.

Among Boston College, the University of Richmond, Colgate University, Davidson College, & Lehigh University there is no wrong choice. The real problem is that there are several right choices.

9 Likes

Actually, the finalists are almost identical to the list in the very first post by OP

I’ll play. My money is on Richmond as I think the ballet there is significantly better than most of the others in play and it will be enough to tip the balance. Especially as the weather is also better which was an early consideration.

1 Like

I agree with Darcy. Dancing plus warm weather, a beautiful campus (maybe nicest of all the choices and that says a lot) & located in the suburbs of a capitol city, Richmond checks the most boxes IMHO. I also agree with Publisher you can’t go wrong with any of these schools, they’re all great.

2 Likes

2/1 Richmond
4/1 Davidson
7/1 Colgate
9/1 BC
15/1 LMU (My sleeper pick)

1 Like

My son’s top ED1 contenders were BC, Wake, Richmond, and Colgate… so lots of overlap. We are also from the Midwest. He didn’t love the religious aspect at BC (a nun checked us in) and found the campus to be a bit cold (figuratively)… campus seems to be polarizing… love it or hate it. Wake seemed perfect on paper but the campus seemed a bit tired/run down and he just wasn’t feeling it (I know Wake’s been eliminated already). Lehigh was never a serious contender but we visited in conjunction with Lafayette. I’d be very surprised if she likes that campus. We felt it was very strange and way, way too big.

Came down to Richmond and Colgate for the final two and we visited both, twice. In the end, he decided that Colgate, while stunning in many ways, was just too remote. Personally, I didn’t sense the friendly vibe that we felt on many other campuses. So, ultimately, he went ED1 at Richmond and was accepted. That campus is a tough act to follow. It ticked all the boxes for him and he especially loved the combination of being on a sprawling campus yet so close to a major city. Lots of other small communities nearby too with cute restaurants, etc. and, of course, DC is less than 2 hours away… best of both worlds. Despite the Covid challenges, he loves the school and we are very impressed by all. Good luck! At the end of the day, ALL GREAT CHOICES. Excited to see where she lands.

11 Likes

Just for clarification, there is a very substantial likelihood that the person working the desk in admissions was a headscarf-wearing woman of a non-Catholic religion, not a nun.

Haha I’m pretty sure I know the difference. But thanks.

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what is “strange” about the Lehigh campus? I have heard the school described as very hilly, Greek, work hard/play hard, but never “strange.”

I think the campus is gorgeous, but I realize that this has to do with personal taste.

I realize that I keep pushing Lehigh, but that’s only because I think it’s a good fit for this student… IF…she decides not to attend an LAC. If an LAC is the right school, then obviously Lehigh is not.

I agree that she will stay on the east coast.

2 Likes

Lehigh is built into a hill, so walking most places on campus involves stairs. I wouldn’t call it strange- it’s really pretty! The surrounding area, not so much.

1 Like

Lehigh is pretty but a little spooky - (think The Shining) and run down in parts (dorms) too.
Colgate is pretty and has a certain type of grandeur we thought. We did find an extremely friendly vibe at Colgate/lots of kids saying hello, giving directions, smiling etc.
Other random remarks in reply to other comments on this thread - BC does in fact have a nun greeting visitors in the admissions office!
Richmond - the campus is quite pretty and extremely well manicured- nothing out of place, not a speck of litter, dirt etc.

My final pick - Colgate.

2 Likes

I agree about the Lehigh dorms, but I read that there is a lot of new construction going on.

I go back and forth between Colgate and Davidson, unless of course this student decides not to attend an LAC.

1 Like

Yes lots of construction. And as far as housing. I can only speak for my S17 at Lehigh but he’s had great housing all 4 years. There are quite a few dorms that have A/C which is welcomed during those steamy august days at the beginning of the semester. He had a Single in Taylor for the first 2 years on campus and then lived in a brand new 4bd 2bath apartment in a brand new (2019) building right next to campus (affiliated with the university).

https://www.southsidecommonsbethlehem.com/

New residential houses, phase 1 of a 2 phase residential development plan.

Lots of renovation and new construction

3 Likes

With regard to BC and the nun, we had her check us in too in Feb 2020! We knew ahead of time. Lol. I don’t think that made an impression either way on D. She was just a nice lady who welcomed us. And, last night, on the admitted student group chat, kids were asking how religious that all were and a majority of kids said they were not Catholic.

Going to BC would be a complete departure from what she thought she originally wanted but it’s been a whole year since we saw it last and I think kids see campuses differently once they’ve been accepted. We’ll see how it goes!

As for Lehigh and the comments on this thread (!!), I’m so curious. Creepy? Stunning? We’ve both done a virtual tour and I guess I see both of those things? Almost all of the schools D has seen are mostly brick buildings so I guess the grey stone could seem cold but it’s also so pretty.

6 Likes

A couple of BC comments:

1. They were not at all flexible with their gap year deadline of June 1 last year, so doubt it would change for 2021.

2. They are slow (deliberate?) in making calendar announcements. They did not announce their Thanksgiving/post Thanksgiving plans for Fall 2020 until Oct. 19. They have yet to announce graduation plans for this spring and it is less than 8 weeks away.

1 Like