D21 journey

Yay, I guessed it!

2 Likes

Congrats! I was secretly rooting for Colgate and think it’s a great fit for her, a happy ending to a crazy year in our lives and college admissions as well.

1 Like

Congrats to homerdaughter! She’s going to have a wonderful time at Colgate, and they are lucky to have her! :slight_smile: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

It has always bothered me that Colgate is in Hamilton, but Hamilton is not. It seems like there’s something wrong with that, don’t you think?

Just kidding. Congratulations!

6 Likes

Congratulations!! I also picked Colgate. Last summer I asked why Notre Dame wasnt on your list, as it seemed to fit many of your daughter’s criteria. You had said you thought it was too Catholic. Obviously kids change what is important to them as they weigh the pros and cons of each school, but I was a little surprised BC was so high on the list because everyone I know and my kids know that attend or attended BC would all say their religion is very important to them.
In any case, Colgate is so beautiful and such a great school (my brother went). Im so glad you’ve decided and can move on to the next chapter!
Thank you for sharing your journey!

3 Likes

Congratulations, @homerdog!! Colgate is beautiful, and it seems like it will be a great fit for your daughter. Congratulations on all the other fantastic options, too - it’s been so fun to follow the journey.

Now that you’ve successfully completed the process twice, I hope you’ll stick around and continue to share all you’ve learned with those of us looking to help our '22 graduates! :blush:

4 Likes

Congratulations! And, thanks for taking us all along for the ride. I’ve enjoyed the updates, speculations, commentary and friendly banter. Best wishes for great success at Colgate!

4 Likes

What an amazing way to bring this journey to a … new beginning! My gut said Colgate and that’s how I voted. Huge congrats to homerD and everyone in the family for this much deserved accomplishment!

1 Like

Yay for homerD and family! I was wrong all along, but wishing her lots of success the next 4 years.

1 Like

Huge Congrats! It’s been a fun distraction following your thread as a parent who has a D19 and a D21. All the best to your daughter- she’s got a bright future!

I’ll be off CC for a few years until S25 starts his college journey but I know who to look up on CC if he wants to go the ‘liberal arts school in the NE’ route.

2 Likes

Colgate University :

Overlap Schools: Middlebury College, Boston College, Dartmouth College, Tufts University, Bowdoin College, Cornell University, Brown University, & Hamilton College.

Colgate University is a member of the Patriot League–“Outside of the Ivy League, it is among the most selective groups of higher education in NCAA Division 1…”

The Patriot League (est’d 1986) has 10 full member schools & 4 associate member schools:

American University
USMA at West Point
Boston University
Bucknell University
Colgate University
College of the Holy Cross
Lafayette College
Lehigh University
Loyola Univ. in Maryland
USNA at Annapolis

4 Associate member schools:

Fordham Univ. for football
Georgetown Univ. for football
MIT for women’s rowing
Univ. of Richmond for women’s golf

Trips to USMA @ West Point, USNA @ Annapolis, Bucknell Univ. @ Lewisburg, Pa, and the other Patriot League school locations should yield volumes of positive memories. West Point & Annapolis should not be missed, in my opinion. Annapolis is one of the most charming & beautiful locations in the country.

I truly believe your/ D’s instincts are spot on and you considered meaningful and relevant things in making a brilliant final choice ! I was nodding my head in agreement reading your thoughtful observations here.

Did she ever consider a LAC that DOES have a distinct Business school such as Bucknell ? From the start of your OP it was always in the back of my mind as a potential consideration. A true, traditional LAC with very strong Engineering & Business schools.

1 Like

Didn’t consider Bucknell. No one from our high school ever even applies so it seemed a bit random. Plus, I think it’s even more regional in its student population and Colgate was ranked higher for the “hard to get to and rural” option. Also, she has no desire to major in business but maybe to take some communications class and Colgate has a rhetoric minor that works.

2 Likes

Actually most of the schools on Homerdog’s original list have business and engineering options to one degree or another. Villanova, Boston College, and Santa Clara all have strong business schools as well as engineering. Washington & Lee has a separate business school as well as an engineering major. William & Mary and Wake Forest both have separate business schools. Denison and Furman both have business and engineering majors available, and Bares has an engineering major.

I understand your point about the value of these schools in developing a career path, and I agree with you about the value of these options in a liberal arts college in general. But in the case of this particular student, I think that if either business or engineering were a priority, one or more of these other colleges would have emerged as the best match. The fact that they didn’t suggests that these weren’t areas of interest or importance to her.

Homerdog made clear from the beginning that access was important. Lewisburg isn’t the easiest place in the world to get to. I doubt that there are many - or any - direct flights from Chicago to Williamsport - or even Wilkes-Barrie or Harrisburg.

Oh, I was responding to her specific comment beginning, “At a LAC there aren’t Business majors …”.

Although I’m aware that many of the others do have “business” I was speaking about & curious that Bucknell in particular did not come up. That’s all. It has a very strong overlap (at least in our region) with all of the others mentioned - except those in CA which I have no familiarity with at all. Pretty much most from our school who apply to Wake, W&L, Richmond, BC, Colgate or Villanova also have Bucknell in the mix.

Congrats on Colgate! Fabulous choice. My D20 is not far away at Hamilton, and Colgate was one of the tops on her list as well. And as I mentioned, those Chipwich sandwiches made it my S23’s favorite tour. :wink:

And I would like to commend you and your D for looking at the distribution requirements/Gen Eds at both schools. I’m always surprised that students forget to check course requirements. They can have a big impact on your course of study and ability to double major or switch paths down the road—not to mention interest. (That was one reason My D eliminated Fordham from her list early on.) Every year I meet to advise incoming first years at my college, and I can’t tell you how many of them are genuinely surprised (and a bit disheartened) when I go over all the Gen Eds they need. I wonder why they didn’t bother to consider it when they were applying.

Thank your D for letting you share her journey with all of us. I must say, I’m a bit sad it’s over. This thread has been great!

8 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. No doubt that Bucknell has a lot to offer. For similar reasons, I like Lafayette and Union and think that in NYC, Manhattan is a hidden gem.

Let’s bring this post back to the OP. There are other threads discussing various LACs (and new ones can be started).

At this point congratulations are in order.

1 Like

We have looked at the distribution requirements. They look do-able with lots of class options for fulfilling them except for two that everyone takes. I like that they have those two and I believe students take them with dorm mates for just another way to form connection. The only thing that is a bummer is that AP credit cannot count towards distribution requirements D actually sees that as a plus since I am now cancelling her AP tests. Lol. It was the same for S at Bowdoin. He had two APs that placed him into higher level classes but he got no credit for them. Then he did get just gen ed credit for two but they don’t even help him since we would never have him take fewer than four classes a semester anyway.

2 Likes

Congratulations to your daughter! My friend’s daughter is at Colgate now and absolutely loves everything about it.

I wish her every success and thank you for sharing her very thoughtful and wise process.

3 Likes