D21 journey

I know that I have asked this question, but I am starting to get confused. ?

What about Syracuse? It could be “safety-ish” depending on her scores. There are some merit scholarships and I just read that there are dance scholarships as well. Syracuse ticks many of her boxes. Based on the girls I know who attend Syracuse, it seems that your D would fit in nicely.

I know you don’t want to pay this kind of money for a possible (?) safety, but maybe she would get some money for dance…

It also might be too big…but you mentioned Wisconsin.

@homerdog Please don’t mention Princeton, that’ll get everyone riled up. :lol:

(courtesy of the KevinFromOC thread)

LOL! But Princeton has a nice dance program…hmmm.

@twogirls I’ve thought about Syracuse. Like most who consider it, though, I think about the weather as being a downside!! No one has gone to Syracuse from our school in the last two years. Maybe three if no one goes this year. It’s just not a school on the radar here but I understand why it might be a possible fit. Wisconsin out of state is around $56k. Syracuse more like $70k. I don’t know what Syracuse would offer her that Wisconsin could not. We could drive to Madison in two hours. Syracuse expensive flight into snow country where there could be a lot of delays.

I’m sorry to turn down so many good ideas. Syracuse is a school I don’t have much negative info on but I think that bigger school with school spirit spot will stay with Wisconsin for the most part.

Haven’t mentioned it before (I don’t think) but D would choose warmer climate over colder one so that’s also why the “favorites” right now happen to be in NC and VA. She’s not completely against cold but mostly because she knows she already has a lot of “priorities” and adding weather just makes the search even more narrow.

@sushiritto LOL! No worries there. Only legacies get into Princeton from our school. The only other elite wildcard would be Northwestern since both H and I are alums and we know quite a few people with influence there. S didn’t want to apply. D is not viable unless she can hit maybe 1520 and she’d have to go ED… It’s stressful there and I would be concerned about that. No dance really. She could be a Lady Cat though!

I’m definitely joking here. I don’t think NU is the right place for her.

Is she ok with Wisconsin as a safety, or would she also consider Clemson, College of Charleston, and the U of South Carolina (not sure if these are safeties or matches)?

I can also see your D at Tulane, although it’s not a safety.

@twogirls Not sure she’s there yet being ok with Wisconsin as a safer option but, if we come to that, then we will see. I did mention South Carolina and she said no way - so and so goes there and she is not a good student. This is why safeties are an issue. She cannot wrap her brain around going somewhere with kids who she’s run circles around since she was in kindergarten. I know I know. Smart kids everywhere but that’s not where she’s coming from. Lots of smart kids from our school choose Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan for the big schools closer to home. I don’t think D would get into Michigan and, if her scores are high enough and she could, she would choose somewhere smaller.

Again, getting ahead of ourselves. Need scores. Need to go on spring break. I expect much more clarity come April 1.

I want to be clear that we’ve put no pressure on her to get a high SAT score. It’s never come up. After she got that 1410 on the practice test this weekend, I told her that, if she could do that on a test day, she will be happy with her choices especially if she can choose an ED option. I think she’s hoping her studying in the next month will get her a little higher score but neither of us has said that out loud. The breakdown of the last test at 700 math and 710 EW is solid especially since it’s not lopsided.

With respect to safety schools, has any consideration been given to the University of Denver ?

According to the Fiske Guide, “a majority of undergrads do receive merit scholarships”.

It is a school for wealthy students as, according to a quoted observation in the Fiske Guide, “individuals from low-income backgrounds have a hard time fitting in”.

Both the University of Denver & CU-Boulder attract a lot of snow skiers. If not interested in winter sports, then this may not be a good safety school.

Wake and Richmond seem to be such great fits. Looking forward to hearing about all your visits. We attended admitted student day at Richmond and there was a ton of school spirit there! BC recently published their 2019-2020 fact book. I thought you might find it interesting. Regarding housing at BC, I think more kids are getting 4 years of housing these days, but friends told me most kids who get 4 only end up using 3 because they want to be off campus with their friends junior year.

https://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/publications/factbook/pdf/19-20_factbook.pdf

^I’m pretty sure more kids are getting 4 hrs compared to the past, but I can’t find a very recent statistic. My personal guess is that a little more than half live off junior year. If I find actual data that is new-ish, I will post. BC is committed to the goal of 4 yrs housing for all students, as they’ve said many times, though construction of new dorms is always complicated. Last stat I saw was 85% of all undergrads currently live on campus, but I don’t know how recent that number is.

I’m confused by that earlier post then about how all juniors are required to live off campus at BC!

I vaguely recall from the info session D17 and I attended several years ago, BC guaranteed three years of housing. Since many students study abroad their junior year, I think that had something to do with why juniors move off campus for junior year (some are gone all year, others for one semester). But that was almost four years ago-I have no idea what their long term housing plan currently is.

In regards to BC’s housing - they do guarantee 3 years to all their students and 4 years to some. My son was given the 4 years and that info was in his acceptance letter.

It was explained to us that most students choose to live off campus junior year and return senior year (that is 3 years) since they go abroad that year anyway. I don’t know how true that is anymore as this was several years ago.

Does that seem odd to anyone to live off campus junior year and then go back? I thought most kids these days studied abroad for a semester and not a year so how does that work with finding a place off campus for one semester? Is there separate senior housing for when those kids come back to live on campus? I bet Boston is a pricey place to live off campus.

Juniors are not required to live off campus, but since most students are guaranteed only 3 years of housing, many choose to live off campus junior year. As 4kids4us states above, I think this has a lot to do with students studying abroad junior year. There are many student apartments very close (walking distance) to campus and there is easily accessible public transportation as well.

Yea, we thought it was weird too!! I’ll bet most kids (that get only 3 years housing) just stay off their last 2 years. Housing was one of the issues my son had with BC ~ he really didn’t like that a large chunk of the freshman class was housed a bus ride away from campus either!

@homerdog, BC has housing called “The Mods”. They were built as temporary housing in the 70’s, but are still there today. The best way I can describe them is duplexes. They each are two stories, house 6 students with three bedrooms, kitchen and living room and direct outdoor access. They are “the place” to live senior year. So kids come back senior year for a chance to live in the mods. There are also other apartment style dorms on campus that are attractive for seniors. I can not speak to kids coming and going abroad securing an apartment, but I think the school helps to facilitate this.

@homerdog My rough understanding is that currently it’s not very difficult to petition to stay on-campus junior year.

Seniors coming back on campus is a long-held tradition; they do so with tremendous affection.

@evergreen5 Kind of love that coming back to the campus senior year tradition. We know kids living in the dorms that are a bus ride away. They aren’t complaining. We will hopefully be visiting them this spring.