D21 journey

I predict that the student likes Richmond, but that it is dropping down the list due to Davidson, Richmond, and Colgate acceptances.

These are all academically strong schools. I think social fit is going to be more important than weather. If Davidson is the best social fit, then she gets both!

Davidson is smaller than daughter wanted (at least originally). Dance opportunities not as strong as Vandy or Richmond although new intel on Vandy could sway my ranking - lol. I believe Davidson was Homerdogs first choice :wink:

3 Likes

Congrats to your daughter on so many great choices! Can’t wait to hear where she will visit before deciding.

2 Likes

Vanderbilt–(if offered admission, of course)
Davidson
Colgate
Richmond

Naturally, my list assumes that the daughter is not offered a part-time position at Lehigh’s library (in which case all bets are off).

6 Likes

I’m feeling Colgate for her. Totally unscientific.

Putting my money on Richmond!

Congrats on the acceptances and narrowed list.

I’ll stick w my original pick of Davidson, Richmond, BC and Colgate. Wake was 5th and out. Hope you get a choice with Vandy but just not feeling it. Certainly possible with so many other acceptances at schools with demonstrated interest.

All four are amazing. Friend’s daughter is a freshman at BC and he complains about the restrictive masking and distancing in the fall. He’s a pretty conservative guy. Seems a good fit for intellectually independent ladies. Both female freshmen I know aren’t native Texans and may both be Catholic. Very anecdotal but a thumbs up.

I haven’t wavered…

1 Like

Where did they choose?

I would love to hear the vibe intel summary on the schools. D22 has some of the same interests as your daughter. I’m surprised by comments about BC being very Catholic on this thread. I’ve read on multiple threads that this isn’t the case - would be interested in hearing more. We are not Catholic, but we like the Jesuit values.

4 Likes

I know that 30 percent of kids at BC come from Catholic high schools and 70 percent identify as Catholic. I know some of those could be Catholic light. All of the kids we know there went to public school but are Catholic.

2 Likes

Lots of kids go to Catholic HS but are not religious, they are cultural Catholics.

I still have BC in the running for my predictions because if these were deal breakers, she would not have applied.

I don’t think Davidson will be the pick since you said your son was deciding between Davidson and Bowdoin and your D seems to be looking for a different experience.

I definitely get wanting to understand “vibe”, but that’s always a little confusing to me. It seems with the selective colleges that use a holistic review of applicants, they are trying to build a diverse class. When my D17 was invited to Davidson for an accepted students’ event and to interview for a writing scholarship, she really loved and clicked with the students she met (admitted and attending). She spent time with some Harry Potter-loving English nerds and people who were in a secret poetry society. :slightly_smiling_face: . However, if she had hung out with the athletes (of which there are many at Davidson), she wouldn’t have been as enthusiastic. Not to say that the athletes aren’t also very intellectual students, but there are definitely people at Davidson that would would not be her type. That’s why I think evaluation of vibe often, but maybe not always, depends on the students you talk to and spend time with.

14 Likes

I’m still holding out hope for Vandy. However, I do think Davidson and Richmond are excellent choices for her. I also think the academic intensity of Davidson is not more that that of Vanderbilt. I do know first hand that the Vandy kids have a lot of fun! :grinning:

1 Like

But some schools (especially small ones) do have an overall vibe. Swat is different than Colgate is different than Grinnell. Our reason for trying to fess out fit is mostly around the smaller schools on the list, which would now be Colgate, Richmond, and Davidson. I do think a student applying to these schools could find their people but it might be easier at some schools than others.

7 Likes

This is probably not worth much and only one person’s opinion. My friend and her D visited many small colleges and did multiple visits to Colgate, Wake and Lafayette, which were the final three in consideration. This is a full pay family and the mom said the wealth at Colgate was much more apparent to her than the other colleges they visited.

5 Likes

All info is appreciated! We will likely visit and we know some students there. We will get the scoop. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I’m sticking to my original prediction ABOVE from March 1st. There’s a new member in the gym who graduated Wake Forest and he drives a Bimmer. :rofl:

I’m out of the betting and prediction business. Congrats on so many wonderful choices.

4 Likes

Woohoo! Congrats on Davidson! It’s in my D’s top two.

I’m going with Richmond, Davidson, Colgate with Vandy the wildcard. But she can’t go wrong with any of the amazing schools she is considering. Congrats to her and to you @homerdog ! Well done!

4 Likes

I know the CA schools (LMU and SCU) have fallen down on your list, but things are opening up. My D20 is at SCU and they have opened the dorms and about 600 freshmen are moving in this weekend (and last week). I’m not sure about LMU but they may be opening up more, too. I’m biased because D is thriving at SCU and I’m hearing about the amazing internships that kids are getting, plus the post-grad outcomes recently reported in Forbes (“Is Santa Clara Better than Princeton? Earnings Data Say Yes.” Feb. 16, 2021). Plus I know your D got an amazing scholarship to LMU. It might be worth a trip to CA. Either way, congratulations on the amazing results for your D! There are no bad choices on her list!

4 Likes