DD looking for German/Business [WI resident, 3.95 GPA, 33 ACT, <$30k/year]

My incoming senior daughter is working on her college list for places to apply with some specific requirements. She would like a German and business major, and study abroad options in Germany . She would love the opportunity to work for German/American business, maybe supply chain management. She would like a school with sports spirit and campus feel, but not a small town. She is open to the Midwest or East Coast, no further south than NC. We would like to chase merit and keep it under 30k a year.

Stats:
3.95 unweighted
33 ACT - 35 math, 35 English
4 AP so far with 4-5 (AP German 5)
4 year varsity sport and 9 years club
Other activities centered around German and music

We have UW-Madison, MacCallister, Case Western, Penn State on list, but would like some smaller schools as well.

Thanks for any help!

1 Like

Is UW Madison or Penn State an instate school for your daughter?

Have you run the NPCs for the other schools?

Do you qualify for any need based aid? If not, that is a very large amount of merit aid. You will need to revise your list.

1 Like

UW Madison is in-state, and affordable.

She wants to go further from home.

1 Like

It is my understanding that Penn State does not give merit.

1 Like

I think we will qualify for some financial aid.

i would love some suggestions for schools that meet her requirements and would give some merit.

Also wondering if German is an advantage in applying to any of these schools.

Thanks for your response.

I would run the NPCs so you have an estimate of FA (note: there are certain situations where the NPCs may not be accurate, and I am not sure if the NPCs have been updated).

Take a look at the SUNY schools (Binghamton, New Paltz, Geneseo)

1 Like

Total cost of attendance for Case Western is currently into the 80’s. I recommend using the NPC to see if you would qualify for enough FA.

I also think it will be difficult to get enough merit to bring the cost down to under 30, but others may know.

3 Likes

Will she be a National Merit Semifinalist? That will open a lot of doors merit wise.

1 Like

Not NMSF.

We need to run more NPCs and maybe $30k is a pipe dream.

We are still making a list, so adding schools with German and business is where we are starting.

1 Like

I believe your daughter will get merit at the U of Alabama and West Virginia University. Not sure about the majors. She can also look at Clemson and the U of SC.

I just realized she doesn’t want further south than NC, but getting enough merit in the NE will be tough. Look at UDel and as I mentioned, SUNY.

2 Likes

Maybe Indiana University? Kelley and its Global Institute

and a business German minor in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Also College of Charleston is worth a look. German and Business - College of Charleston

@tsbna44

6 Likes

Great suggestions, thank you!

So College of Charleston has a German program and a supply chain major. BMW recruits from there and Mercedes-Benz Vans is nearby and employs supply chain majors from CofC. They also have the Fellows and International Scholars programs which includes a May Away. My daughter is in both. Not saying it will happen to you but we pay no tuition OOS with scholarships. It is South of North Carolina - 3 hours from Charlotte…but non stop flights from the NE. It looks like business exchange (so no increased tuition) is with Universitaet Tuebingen, Universitaet Bamberg, and Hochschule Ludwigshafen, all in Germany.

Again, geographically it’s far - but for $30K, you’d beat it at U of Arizona and it has German and Supply Chain. Michigan State - not sure if you can get there financially - but it’s the top supply chain with ASU in the US and has German. COA is $55K and it’s hard to figure out if you can get to $30K. There is $5K from the Honors college. I’m guessing not but I’m not the expert.

SUNY Bing has a German Minor and Supply Chain. They are aggressive. SUNY Buffalo has both majors. I don’t know but assume aggressive since Bing is. I know others have stated under $30K.

URI has both and is aggressive. So maybe…

Again, out of territory but you’d go to Alabama for $20-22K ish and guess what, Mercedes-Benz has a huge plant 15 miles away and hires co ops. They have a dual German/business major - with Ops management and a supply chain minor.

Miami U in Ohio may get you to $30K - may not. They have both.

U of South Carolina (90 minutes south of NC) is the #1 international business program and Honors College, has a German major and in addition to international business has a supply chain. WIth merit, you’d likely get close.

When you have a tight budget, you can have desires - but sometimes you need to be flexible or creative - so that’s some ideas for you both inside and outside your area - and giving you at least two schools I’m aware of with ties to German automotive (I work in that industry). You also have to attend schools that you might feel are beneath your expectations - but that’s how you get the great deals - you are helping those schools improve their stats vs. going to a school where you are just another stud and they don’t need to give you anything.

Best of luck.

german.pdf (cofc.edu)

Charleston Fellows Program - College of Charleston (cofc.edu)

International Scholars - College of Charleston (cofc.edu)

5 Likes

Thank you for these amazing and practical suggestions. We are willing to pay up to 50k to get what is the right school for her, just always hoping to pay less.

I have never thought of College of Charleston as a German business hub. i think of Midwestern school for that German/ business connection.

1 Like

Why German Firms Choose Charleston | SC | USA | CRDA

Alabama Germany Partnership marks 25 years of strengthening ties (madeinalabama.com)

4 Likes

Their COA is about $54K but there’s definitely merit and a lot if you get the Fellow and International Scholar program. I think they understate the room and board. It’s the right price for campus - but living off campus is quite pricey.

Still I think $50K is easy and you likely go well under - especially if you get into the extra programs I mentioned. You go to the Honors weekend to win. Its competitive but your stats are well above the schools. My daughter fell in love on the visit - it was #16 of 17 rank wise she got into but her education has been wonderful with small classes and opportunities through the two programs, including multiple mentors and meetings with ambassadors and other dignitaries, etc.

Good luck.

1 Like

I assume you have Wisconsin and UMN on your list too - I believe and correct me if I’m wrong that there’s reciprocity of some sort with Minnesota. I believe through the midwest exchange you can get discounted tuition at Nebraska as well.

Sorry to throw three more.

Let us know where she ultimately applies.

3 Likes

Sorry- can’t help myself - since you said $50K - IU Kelley (direct admit) and IU for languages - one of the best in the country.

It’s over $50K but I’d expect you’d get merit to bring it underneath.

5 Likes

This is a definite possibility, fits her requirements perfectly. We will look into it more closely. Thank you so much, you have been very helpful as my DD and I are looking at these comments together.

1 Like