Decision Time Help!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply! Happy to share – my D loves theatre and was actually headed down the MT path until she did two summer VP programs and decided that she wanted to focus more on music and that she really enjoys studying music as a discipline - including song analysis, diction etc. She is very smart and loves studying languages, history and English. She wants to be in a more urban setting (was accepted to Oberlin but would not survive the small town). She is not afraid of a voice teacher that is tough with high expectations and is looking at grad school and hopefully a career as a performer. A minor in theatre tech or arts administration is a consideration as well.

D was accepted to 8 schools but only accepted to a specific studio at 2 of them. My impression that the others do not guarantee a studio until later? She has done a few sample lessons but doesn’t know if she is guaranteed to be with those teachers.

I do think that the two schools without grad students will have the best performance opportunities.

We are trying to arrange a repeat at visit at her two top schools and hoping that will clarify her decision. The trouble is that we don’t want to spend all the $ to go somewhere when they have not been very responsive about arranging opportunities for lessons or music school tours or class rehearsal observations, etc. Yes ultimately we need to stand back and let her make her own decision.

That being said, if anyone has any insight or info regarding the VP programs at UCLA or USC it would be very much appreciated!

2 Likes

Ditto re: math/science classes for my S! Northwestern does have a fair amount of gen ed requirements- I believe you can find it on the Bienen site- if that is something to consider. Oddly no foreign language requirement though.

Congratulations to your daughter!! All fantastic schools. I know people who graduated from each of those music schools who have had successful careers.

I’m more familiar with the music schools in general and less so the vocal programs.

In addition to @bridgenail’s solid advice, I’d expand on her third “Curriculum/Environment Etc.” note to mention that beyond the music schools specifically, each of those universities have notably different vibes. UCLA is a VERY large university with tons of options and vast crowds of people – which may be great for some and an utter turn-off for others.

USC is legendary for its alumni network. There are myriad stories about how being a member of The Trojan Family can easily open doors that might be otherwise impossible to crack, both as a Thornton alum specifically and a USC alum in general. The other schools you mention have decent to solid alumni networks – USC’s is amazing. That same spirit infuses itself throughout the university while you’re a student, which can be welcome for most and intimidating to some.

Also, if you can afford all schools (or if tuition cost is less of a concern), that’s great. My experience and the stories I’ve heard from other parents are that financial aid packages from the schools are likely to be quite different.

Finally, do you leave near any of the four universities mentioned? LA, Coral Gables, and Nashville are VERY different cities with different social and performing opportunities.

Hope that helps.

Let us know what she decides.

1 Like

Your summary of each of these schools is so helpful! I hope USC might still be on my son’s list, and it’s great to know what’s unique about it.

Performance is key for my son, and location and local opportunities are high on his list of school qualities, along with city vibe and music industry/jobs. He was interested in schools in LA, New Orleans, Boston, Denver, Denton TX, and Coral Gables (near enough to Little Havana and downtown Miami for jazz gigs). Each one would be tremendously different for performing opportunities!

2 Likes

I’ll add a few more comments (remember I’m a mom of a performer living in the midwest…lol…my D has a BS in VP and theater and an MM in VP…so just opinions below). I do agree with the additions from @WestOfPCH.

1.) Studio placement - some school don’t do it (particularly for VP). Still…that doesn’t mean you just don’t know. I highly suggest you CALL music adminstration and let them know your D is very interested BUT you need to understand studio placement. How does it work? Some schools do have students audition for placement at the beginning of Freshman year. If this is true, you may want to ask if they have a VP student representative that she can connect with. It may help for her to communicate with a student to get direct feedback on that process and how it worked for a current student (actually I would suggest this no matter what bc it can give you insight on teachers too - students are pretty honest about reputations).

For other schools, studio placement can feel like the hunger games…you got to get out there and “hunt” for a teacher. These schools are not heartless…they often take a more “relaxed” approach. They believe that they have a great faculty and in the end your kid will get a great teacher (so why worry). Some kids are OK with this…and I’ve seen it work. Still, I would suggest calling and figuring out how it works for the schools with no placement. If it is “hunger games style”, I would get the email for the head of the voice dept and have your D send an email (music resume attached) with a very short and sweet message: I need help finding a teacher. She may want to add a comment or two about what she wants from a teacher (or not). Then she should ask: who would you recommend that I contact. Again she could be talking with a student representative about teachers in the meantime.

2.) I always assume at this point that people are discussing “affordable” schools. This segways into the “alumni network” comment (which is insightful and correct). All schools have networks (and certainly some will be stronger than others…USC is certainly a strong name!). My D has benefited from the IU network for VP…which is particularly strong for opera singers. STILL, you can only benefit from a network if…you can afford to and can work it. My D did get an opera gig down South this fall bc an IU grad had to drop out (for a better opportunity) and suggested my D to take her place. There was another IU alum in it who also recommended my D…so she wasn’t even asked to submit an audition or a tape. This was a smaller company…but my D could accept it bc she’s financially stable. She was also probs recommended bc she’s active on social media about performing so they haven’t forgotten about her. She maintains a network from UG, grad school and now a professional one. So…in a nut shell…alumni networks are great/important etc…but be sure the school is still affordable. I would NOT go into debt for a “name” or “network” (and I know @WestOfPCH is not suggesting that)…I would recommmend the big hustle after school with a lesser name that’s affordable…I’ve seen that work fine too.

Edit: For VP, she may save the big name schools for grad school. That is not uncommon and can save you money.

3.) My D was (and is) also an actor. So, I would suggest checking how much of a “silo” exists at each school. And, how much flexibility really is allowed. I would be a little concerned about Miami…bc of this. Note that not all teachers like students with varied interests. So, I would dig into that (maybe a student representative can give some insight). And it’s fine if a teacher doesn’t like variety…bc it will eliminate the wrong school/teacher.

Good luck. I’m sure she’ll find a great fit in the end.

2 Likes

Same thoughts here. The faculty for percussion are all principals at either the Chicago Symphony or Lyric Opera and have studied with some of the best in the industry. Combining that with a fantastic scholarship is making it very very attractive for my MM kid.

I SO get this head/heart thing. These decisions between great schools are fortunate yet very, very hard. Yes, ultimately it’s the best overall fit. Syracuse sounds like that best fit for yours. When do we celebrate after all this work? :blush::tada: Feels like we need permission to do that :joy:

My kid struggled with super duper liking and appreciating two profs that both are amazing and it’s coming down to the overall school fit where one is academically stronger, and the student body is a better fit. COA nearly identical. Mine spent most of high school not really loving it socially and just can’t do 4 more years like that. But having to give up studying with this prof is very hard. The decision is made, but we haven’t :tada::tada::tada::tada: yet. Hoping a nice, long weekend will help!

He got answers from the sample lesson with his likely voice instructor at Cuse. He has to do a Large ensemble every semester which is nice. And he has to do 4 credits of “small ensemble” which would include Opera Workshop which they said they are “starved for guys” so that sounds like a solid performance opportunity!

6 Likes

Yes! I’m glad that you got this information. And…yes, male opera singers are always in demand on campus.

Remember that these are “performance” degrees…so your kid WILL perform. It’s baked into the degree. I remember being concerned about my D getting performance opportunities too (isn’t that what they all want). Honestly there were times in college when I would think…oh no…don’t get cast again this semester…you need a break! It’s not getting opportunities, it’s finding the time (exception can be Freshman year especially first semester when you are new and trying to figure it all out). Teachers will also work with the faculty to get your kid in the right ensembles, classes, roles etc. No faculty member would think its OK that your kid is not performing…they would be helping to find performance opportunities for them.

One other thing to check: are their performances live streamed (or available online)? I would guess most are now. It was newer when my D first went to college. But I remember sitting at home watching her in opera chorus roles. That was fun!

1 Like

Lawrence University is small yet in a medium-sized city so a bit of both worlds.

It has a lovely quirky nerdy vibe and students seemed very excited about whatever interests they had generally.

It seemed a supportive Conservatory (at the time we visited, it even had a mascot dog). I was impressed with the voice profs there.

My D has a friend who studies viola there and is especially enjoying her chamber ensembles. That’s all I know! Good luck!