Demonstrated interest: is this overkill?

One of my D24’s top choice colleges will be at a college fair at an area high school (not her school) next week. We just found out that a rep from this college will also be coming to my daughter’s high school in September. This college values demonstrated interest and we have been planning to go to the college fair, before hearing about the high school visit. Should my daughter go to both or is that overkill? If she does both, should she try to come up with new questions for each encounter? I’m pretty sure it will be the same admissions rep at both events. She’s very interested in this school, so we’d like to make the most out of the opportunities.

It’s not overkill if she’s interested in the college, and wants to attend both. My son attended both the high school visits and college fairs for several colleges that had events in our area. He thought it was valuable for him, as he learned different things from each event.

It really isn’t required to ask questions at every event (and I don’t think it’s a good idea to manufacture questions purely in order to show interest), but of course if your D has questions, she should ask them. She might think of different things to ask when she attends the events.

4 Likes

Not overkill at all. Go say hello at the college fair - that’s just an intro. Then you leave it with - see you when you visit our school - and the counselor will remember you.

The fair is more like they are taking names and talking to lots. If you didn’t hit them at the fair because you don’t have time or there are others to talk to, that’s fine too.

I agree with @tamagotchi - you don’t have to force questions. Listen, nod, go up after and let the person know you enjoyed your presentation, and you’re excited to apply to the school because ______________ and you’ll be fine.

Don’t over think it - interest can be ED (the ultimate), visiting on campus or like you’re doing, opening emails, playing videos.

You don’t need to overdo it - they just want to know that you aren’t applying but really show no effort toward getting to know more about them.

It’s not a race to do the most, etc.

Good luck - and you can relax and it will be ok - promise.

1 Like

It’s not overkill. She introduces herself at the college fair, and she touches base at the high school, perhaps with some follow-up questions and a reiteration of interest. You don’t want to hound the AO with persistent emails but this much would be totally appropriate.

4 Likes

My daughter went to the high school presentation even though she’d already been accepted to that school. She also went to a tour at the school for a day even though she’d already committed.

They student can learn something new at every contact. You never know which contact the school will consider ‘showing interest.’ I think it is hard to stand out at the fair or even in a hs presentation, but you never know.

1 Like

Totally agree with everyone! Genuine interest shines through! I think it’s great to take every opportunity she has! Good luck!

Great advice here - thanks everyone! She’s feeling confident about the decision to attend both now.

4 Likes

Do both, introduce herself and give rep her contact info and like others said mention you will see them at your school. Make sure you give info each time so they can track her interactions.
Tip:
Set up a separate email account for all college correspondence. Make sure you open any emails from colleges.
Do virtual tour online and sign in with same email to track interest as well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.