Did ruin myself for ever doing premed or nursing?

<p>I wasn't really sure to put this, but I thought this would be the right place.</p>

<p>Anyway my freshman year of highschool, I didn't really do so well. I took; Regular lit, Honors bio, Accel Math 1, Spanish 2, Pe/Health, Pottery, and Auto tech. I only finished with 2.7 GPA, getting a 86 in bio, 78 in my Math, 90 in Auto and Gym, 76 in Spanish 2, and well a 69 in Auto Tech for many reasons...</p>

<p>This sophomore year is looking, slightly better. I have no idea of my GPA now, but I have a Honors chem, Spanish 3, German 1, Accel math 2, Regular lit, regular world history, and Pottery 2. I'm only taking Pottery 2 because AP bio was dropped because of my low math grade. I'm doing well this year, 88 in Spanish 3, 83 in German 1, 81 in Accel math 2, 91 in Lit, 92 in WH, of course a 98 in Pots 2, but well a 69 in honors chem. Obviously the F messed any chances of taking an AP science next year, but I'm hoping to finish with a B.</p>

<p>I always do really well and exceed on the standardized tests the state gives, and I got a 162 on my PSAT if that means anything. I don't know I never realized how extremely competitive it is to get into a great college, and how difficult it would be to do or even get into a medical school.</p>

<p>Next year I want to take AP lit, AP US history, Accel math 3, Spanish 4, German 2, Physics and Anatomy/AP Stat. I'm not sure what would be the best way to go. I thought doubling on languages would be a good idea, but should I drop it? Should I take Anatomy Junior year, or would AP stat be better or should I not take it at all or should I take Physics later?</p>

<p>I still really want to take AP bio and AP chem, but I doubt I could handle them both senior year. I'm sorry this is so long, and I really, really hope this is the right section. Thank you.</p>

<p>You have to seriously think about whether you have what it takes to not only get into a good college as a pre-med major, but to actually make it all the way through. A very high percentage of pre-med majors end up finding other majors once they are in college.</p>

<p>Most nursing schools are very competitive for admission, but there are enough programs that if you don’t care about a name school, and you have moderately good grades and scores, you should be able to find a program.</p>

<p>In general, most colleges look favorably upon a student who shows a very positive trend - who does much better in their junior year than their freshman year. Some will defer admission until they see your mid-year senior grades if they have doubts about your consistency. </p>

<p>However, for the extremely selective colleges, they have so many highly qualified applicants, they only admit students who do well in all years of high school, unless they had a personal crisis one year.</p>

<p>Make sure your grades are good for the rest of high school. If this means taking less AP classes, so be it. Some nursing schools won’t let you place out of bio or chem anyway. You could take statistics at your local community college over the summer and transfer that credit if you do well. You could also take one of the lab sciences there and even if they don’t let you transfer the credit, you’ll have an easier time of it when you do get to college. That might be easier than piling on a lot of AP classes at the same time. </p>

<p>I agree that there are enough less selective nursing schools that you should be able to get into one if you do well enough from now on. You could look into your local CC for nursing too, but they’re likely to have a waiting list.</p>

<p>Sereday, like your communication here, be sure to communicate with you HS counselor your concerns and your hopes. Be in her/his grill, on their schedule all of the time. Be the last one out of the classroom, bothering your instructors each day. You will land on your feet, with a spot somewhere, everyone will be proud of you and most of all you will be where you wanted to be.</p>

<p>thank you for all the posts, I still have a question about whether I should double up in science and math, and drop trying to take german with spanish?</p>

<p>Premed programs like to see calculus. Nursing programs like to see statistics, if it is offered in hs. I don’t think calculus does any good for nursing.</p>

<p>The most important classes to take for both are as much biology and chemistry as practical. If anatomy is offered, that is useful.</p>

<p>German has become a useless language, because the Germans speak better English than we do. Learn Spanish.</p>