Differences between Msc MA, unspecified degrees

For context I always dropped out of my BSc Buisness and management course due to maths, calculus in particular. This gave me PTSD for science degrees. Picking a masters now in marketing, HRM or international business now and was wondering if Msc automatically means heavy maths or numbers. As long as it’s not calculus then it’s fine since I did well in my accounting and finance classes. Thanks.

There are also degrees that does not specify arts or sciences, just masters in XXX. What are those?

Could you please ask your question more clearly, and without using abbreviations?

Time to do some thinking- and some homework.

1. What, exactly do you want from your masters degree? Do you want to be in marketing OR human resources OR ‘business’? why are you looking at specialized degrees if you aren’t sure which is most interesting to you? if you aren’t sure, then an MBA/MBS degree is a better bet than an MSc or MA

2. Research the specific degree you are interested in. Pretty much all of them put the curriculum requirements online. You can easily see what level / type / amount of math is required.

1 Like

My previous degree, bachelors of science in business and management was a jack of all trades degree where i learned a little bit of everything. (Accounting, finanace, marketing, HRM etc).

For masters i would like a degree that is more focused in one field. But unsure if the titles, master of arts or sciences would affect the amount of maths in the courses, as mentioned above i would love to avoid them as much as possible to reduce my chances of failing the degree.

As certain degrees can exist in both formats.

It’s not that uniform- you can’t just say ‘all business-related MScs have a lot of math & MAs don’t’. You can’t even say ‘HR doesn’t have math & marketing does’. It depends on the specific degree, course & specialization at each university.

IMO if don’t know if you are drawn to HR or marketing you need to go get some work experience in one or the other- I genuinely do not know anybody who would be equally happy & successful in both- & I have been doing this for a rather long time. Choose your field first, then find the program that suits you.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.