Differences between UA and UA-B?

<p>i think the plus minus can work either way…an average student that has a mix of grades (a and b’s) probably balances out. but a student that scores high b’s consistently might do better at ua as it could come out to a 3.27… vs a 3.0 at uab. on the other hand a student that consistently gets 90-92’s would get 4.0 at uab , 3.67 at ua. so you have to know your student. the 4.25 for an a+ at ua wont help for med school as schools/app center will recalculate…</p>

<p>the 4.25 for an a+ at ua wont help for med school as schools/app center will recalculate…</p>

<p>Right, but the 3.6 B+ grade will help over the 3.0 B grade for med schools. </p>

<p>AMCAS did the calculation for my son this summer and his calculated BCMP GPA and cum GPA and there wasn’t any difference from Bama’s calculations since AMCAS also uses a Plus/Minus system. </p>

<p>Bama’s cum GPA cannot exceed a 4.0.</p>

<p>turn that around however, and the 4.0 for the 90 grade sure beats the 3.67 for a 92, when applying for med school… like i said, it can work both ways…</p>

<p>From someone who went to a no +/- university and speaking from my own experience as an educator, I would pick the no +/- in a heartbeat! Maybe it’s just me, but I found I could usually get a B+ up to an A- with a few conferences, etc. with my professors, receiving the 4.0. I also know that as an educator, I can be persuaded by someone with a strong work ethic to “bump” up that 89% up to 90% for the A. That being said, UAB and UA are worlds apart, and my DD is more of a UA gal (even as pre-med), but I can see my son at UAB!</p>

<p>That’s why I earlier said that I don’t think in the long run either way makes a difference.<br>
For most students, it’s going to even out over the course of 4 years of grades…some low decile grades, some high decile grades.</p>

<p>agree christine…as i said you have to know the student and their style and ability to communicate with profs etc. for some students the plus minus may be good, for others as you say they may be able to bump it by working hard and raising just over the 90 line</p>

<p>Personally, I like the plus/minus at the UA. I like the incentive and reward it provides for going the extra mile. Of course it would stink to fall on the shorter end with an A- or when you transfer grades that would have been an A+ from a school that only offers the A.</p>

<p>mom2collegekids~</p>

<p>As it turns out, my D’s friend ended up staying in state (in Ohio). She got cold feet about being that far away from home, so decided to stay in Ohio. So after all, that became a non-issue. My D truly chose UAB for the opportunities it offered academically, research opportunities, access to professors, and she felt she would be better off academically at UAB. Don’t get me wrong, she loves UA and the social aspect, but she ultimately is going to school to become a doctor. But, she is having a great time at UAB and loves it there. :)</p>

<p>I disagree with the assessment that UAB is essentially a “med school with a university attached.” That might have been true 30 years ago, but not now. UAB’s theatre, business, and engineering areas have made great strides. Medical and health management studies do, however, remain UAB’s strongest areas. LOTS of gorgeous new buildings.
It is a big campus, but not nearly as big as UA’s. The student body tends to be “non-traditional,” meaning the typical student tends to be a little older, and has a part-time job. Many have full-time jobs. The job situation is such that some classes are held on Sundays!
Also, most tend to be from the Birmingham area. OOS students tend to be some athletes (certainly not all) and students in health-related areas, plus the students in graduate studies and medical & dental schools.
It’s not unusual at all to see middle-aged and older students with backpacks on campus. Some take courses when they can afford them or have time. Many are returning to finish degrees, and many are re-training for another career.
I worked with my sorority chapter at UAB. Great, great women, dedicated students and a little more mature than those at traditional schools because they’re often putting themselves through school or at least paying a major portion of their expenses. I drove through campus yesterday on my way to a doctor’s appointment - the sidewalks were packed with students on their way to classes.
It’s just a different type of university experience. As far as the big city is concerned, Tuscaloosa may be smaller but UA itself is up there with the biggest campuses in the country. I worked with our sorority international offices last year who were awed by the level of UA’s Greek structure. And lots of UA students consider Birmingham part of their “roaming” area.
As always - a visit would be highly recommended!</p>

<p>@Atlanta68 - the reason UAB built there is because that area was a huge and dangerous slum back 40 + years ago. No question the school is a vast improvement. It’s close enough to the 5Points area that many kids walk there.</p>

<p>*The student body tends to be “non-traditional,” meaning the typical student tends to be a little older, and has a part-time job. Many have full-time jobs. The job situation is such that some classes are held on Sundays! </p>

<p>Also, most tend to be from the Birmingham area. OOS students tend to be some athletes (certainly not all) and students in health-related areas, plus the students in graduate studies and medical & dental schools.</p>

<p>It’s not unusual at all to see middle-aged and older students with backpacks on campus. Some take courses when they can afford them or have time. Many are returning to finish degrees, and many are re-training for another career.*</p>

<p>I agree…which is why I said that the student body is mostly commuter/suitcase.</p>

<p>worked with my sorority chapter at UAB.</p>

<p>I do think that the current development of its Greek system is helping it have a more 7 day a week college life. UAH is doing the same thing.</p>

<p>southlander brings up a point about thea area… often asked if because its in a city …is it safe? you have city police, campus police, and additional hospital security at all times, as well as those blue phones all over
crimson white paper did an article last year and shows uab’s crime rate is relatively good!!!
[Campus</a> crime not new | The Crimson White](<a href=“YouA moves from Youtube - The Crimson White”>YouA moves from Youtube - The Crimson White)</p>

<p>i think you will find that the student body has changed m2ck… [UAB</a> - Enrollment at UAB climbs for fourth consecutive year](<a href=“Enrollment at UAB climbs for fourth consecutive year - News | UAB”>Enrollment at UAB climbs for fourth consecutive year - News | UAB)</p>

<p>First-time freshmen living in on-campus housing number 1,156.</p>

<p>This year 68 percent of the incoming freshmen live on campus, a record number, and 98.9 percent of those are full-time students.</p>

<p>This is from Wikipedia:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>not arguing feenotype, as i said looks like that is changing. also when you lump grad school, undergrads etc ,it will affect the percentages as it does for ua… we all know that freshman undergrad is now 55% … but from ua’s site it would appear overall 63% of students are from alabama, the numbers change over time as classes graduate:</p>

<p>[Quick</a> Facts: Demographics - The University of Alabama](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Of the 31,747 undergraduate, professional, and graduate students enrolled at UA in the fall semester of 2011,</p>

<p>•63% come from Alabama
•34% come from elsewhere in the United States
•4% are international students from 77 countries </p>

<p>At UA,</p>

<p>•29% major in arts and sciences
•21% major in business
•9% major in communication
•10% major in education
•11% major in engineering
•10% major in human environmental sciences
•2% major in law
•6% major in nursing
•2% major in social work</p>

<p>the divisions here… if we compare… at uab
28.7% arts and science
10.3% nursing
6.7% engineering
10.6% education
11.5% business</p>

<p>therefore should we assume ua is a business school with a university attached :). these 2 schools have different focuses and populations but for general undergrad they arent far off each other.</p>

<p>anyway>>> back to the original ops’ question… what are the DIFFERENCES between the two…</p>

<p>merit award structure is different…different scores are required… and is a dollar amount per year not "full tuition or half tuition. so depending on the number of credits taken, may mean more out of pocket than a “tuition amount”</p>

<p>uab has full ride merit for national merit, national acheivement AND national hispanic scholars…that currently includes 4 years of housing.</p>

<p>UA has over 3500 Engineering students, and increase of around 500 from last fall. So no, UA is not a business school attached to a university.</p>

<p>i agree atlanta…it was said in jest… just because a school has a significant number in a certain major doesnt make it that type of school. (read up thread)</p>

<p>I think the visit will be very telling. D has a friend who considered both UA and UAB (friend is OOS from 12 hours away). On paper, she liked UAB better and thought it was better for the major she wanted. When she visited UAB, she didn’t care for the campus (in fairness, she’s a suburban girl and not crazy about cities), and knew immediately that it was not for her. She was impressed with the academics; it just wasn’t the right overall fit for her. A kid looking for something more urban might have made the opposite choice. So I think the visit will be very important.</p>

<p>info on uab’s honors colleges… i am most familiar with the chem scholars and sci/tech programs if any one want more info:</p>

<p><a href=“Error 404 | Not Found”>Error 404 | Not Found;

<p>click on the tabs across the top to see the major specific honors programs, fast track and 5th year masters programs</p>