Digital PSAT Adaptive Testing

Yes! They were there about 10a.m. Our time. But we had a well functioning College Board account tied to the correct school etc. school told him his score yesterday.

Yeah. The scores were probably on the College Board website yesterday morning. My kid believed the email that said “install the app and get instant notification”, which did not work as advertised. (My guess is that something was wrong with their app & their login system, so the app felt like it was logged in, but the website didn’t feel like they were logged in, and so no results were gonna get pushed to the app…)

Another life lesson for the kid – never trust a new app.

Have you gotten any clarity from the school or college board? So strange!

Not clarity, no. We did get a response from the school. We emailed them to confirm he took the PSAT 8/9 (which would be the most obvious indicator the scores are wrong). This is what we got back:

“I was able to receive early access to scores and I am seeing the same report information. I did speak to the College Board about his score, and they confirmed that this is what populated following his submission.”

The teacher then went on to congratulate my student, etc, how amazing this is and so on.

You’ll notice that doesn’t actually answer my question about which test he took. If it weren’t digital I’d be 100% sure he took the PSAT 8/9 because they’d all be working from identical paper copies of the test. Now I’m only 99% sure. I’d have to know more about how the test set up works to know if it’s even possible he was given the full PSAT by accident.

With the school I said thank you and moved on, because I wasn’t going to get more information and I didn’t want to annoy her for a test that doesn’t count. We were hoping to get a real score though to get some idea of where he’s at with the test.

We’ve instructed him to treat the results as invalid. Not really sure what else to do at this point. The last thing I need is for my kid who does have a chance at getting 1520 in a few years to decide he can ace the thing with no practice.

I also filed a request through the College Board for more information, but I don’t expect to learn more.

Maybe he could take the bluebook practice test for a benchmark?

2 Likes

Bluebook has four digital practice tests!

2 Likes

Eek. Really frustrating. That is crazy. Compass offers a good test approximation designed with the new digital framework.

1 Like

Only one for psat. To compare with what might have happened if they mistakenly took the NMSQT one.

2 Likes

Taking the practice test is a good idea.

We haven’t paid close attention yet because our kid is young, but is the digital practice test considered a pretty good approximation for the real thing?

We also did this so he could get experience with the digital format and he did get that, so that’s helpful!

Yes. It’s pretty much the same thing. My D scored 1460 on the test two days before a 1500 on the real thing. Some folks here had the opposite but I think for the most part would be considered “within range.”

3 Likes

Just to add, the DSAT is identical to the PSAT in format. IMO preparing for the PSAT is a waste of energy and time. Prep for the SAT, that will get you more than ready for the PSATs equal but slightly easer questions.

1 Like

Insane! Very curious what college board comes back with for an explanation.

The reason to prepare for the PSAT this year was because of the format change. For various reasons, my kid had a lot of SAT practice and needed a solid PSAT score this year. Had 99% on PSAT 8/9 last year. Took PSAT/NMSQT as 10th grader this year with 1520. Did a some prep leading up to it but Compass test was pretty spot on.

1 Like

Yes, my D did the DPSAT to get used to the format, since she was prepping for the paper SAT. This won’t be an issue beyond this year.

IMO you get more out of the DSAT practice. There are 4 blue book tests to practice. And compass offers them too. If you are going to put in the time next year, ahead of the PSAT, just focus on the SAT.

My kids “didn’t prep” for the PSAT. They took the SAT in Aug/October of Jr year. It was great to check that box early on and as a bonus they were more than ready for the PSAT.

1 Like

Actually, my son will have to take the SAT as a freshman to get access to dual enrollment math courses as a sophomore. I don’t expect that to be his last SAT of course, but he is doing stuff out of order already, for sure!

The university says non degree seeking students have to have an SAT similar to other applicants, but I’m not sure they’ve ever turned a student away for this series of courses at his high school. (Calc III/DiffEq) I’m planning to have him practice a little so his scores will be respectable. I don’t know if he will need to do much math prep, but the language part will be harder for him.

CB finally replied. Cutting the identifying parts, here’s the body of the email.

——

Thank you for contacting the College Board.

We have received your email regarding your child’s digital PSAT scores. We will be more than happy to assist you and provide you with the following information.

Please be advised that the October 2023 scores we reported are accurate and final.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

For further information …
——

At this point it’s not really worth it to us to pursue more information. We will have him take a practice test when we get a chance.

The CB response is generic and doesn’t answer the question I asked — what test did he take? And if I signed him up for the PSAT 8/9 why was he given a different test?

So strange. Anyway thanks everyone for the practice test suggestions!

So… is it possible he took the test and happened to ace it?

On math, yes.

Language arts? I really don’t think so.

you never know!

At this point I’m so intrigued that I’m almost ready to pay for your student to take the SAT, with zero prep, just to see the score!

But in all seriousness, it’s pretty embarrassing CB can’t provide more personalized reassurance (as in, provide the actual answer sheet that SHOWS which dang version your child actually took!)