Disabled cheerleader left out of HS yearbook photo (Action News Memphis, TN)

Unkindly purposeful or “honest mistake”???

On one hand, it seems unlikely to be accidental. But, this year my kid’s name was left off the high school baseball team list on the website - there was just one name missing from the names in row 2 in the team picture. It was on the website so it was corrected when we pointed it out. I wouldn’t be shocked if this is what was used in the yearbook - my kid is homeschooled so doesn’t get the yearbook. I don’t think that the homeschooling is the reason that my kid was left out - I think it was just a fluke.

This same high school has a couple of special needs kids who are part of the cheer team. They cheer at games and everybody knows them. But, they don’t compete at cheer competitions. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are 2 different versions of the cheer team pic in the yearbook at this school, since there are effectively 2 different teams - one for games and one for competition.

I am willing to give the yearbook the benefit of the doubt. It sounds like the student attends a virtual school. So, she may have not been there the day of the team picture. My DS was the Editor-in-Chief of his HS yearbook. It was difficult enough to layout the yearbook with the pictures they took much less receiving pictures from outside people.

2 Likes

I suspect that the young woman was not present when the team pictures were taken at school, because the article states: “(The mom) says she provided photos of Abby Norris and the team, but they were not the ones used in the yearbook.” It sounds like the mom knew that her child wasn’t in the official team picture taken for the yearbook, so she submitted her own photos, with the expectation that one with her daughter would be included. It’s possible that there was a lack of communication - hard to say who the mom gave the pictures to & whether they got to the yearbook staff (at all … or on time). Or maybe they weren’t in a suitable format. Just the same, I can understand her disappointment and hurt. I’m wondering if there’s more to this story, because it seems odd that she made this so public. Maybe she has had to fight harder for inclusion than she should have to, and this was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Yearbooks are done differently at each school. For some it is a high school credit class, for others, may be volunteer students with lots of guidance, or not guidance at all. With teacher and staff turnover in recent years and student engagement lacking due to missing a couple years of mentoring by older students these electives or after school activities are hurting.

Managing hundreds/ thousands of photos is tough for professionals, never mind teenage free labor. Not being in the yearbook, is tough on students, but they usually understand…it is the parents that struggle more with mistakes/omissions.

Obviously, if there was a deliberate move to not include the student that is an issue.

I’m guessing it was accidental. When we have yearbook pictures for sports, if you’re not there, you won’t be in the yearbook photo. Even the ridiculous Covid photos where they took individual shots and then created a collage had all of the pictures taken the same day (the HS uses an outside company).

the mom’s feelings were hurt, for her daughter’s sake. I get that. We all want our children to be included, appreciated, and relevant. I would hope there was no malicious intentions on leaving out the photo.

good news is that people rarely look back at their yearbooks any more - it’ll be old news and forgotten i hope the rest of their lives. I didnt order yearbooks for my last two kids. they have all the photos they want and connections to people with social media.

My yearbook is pretty forgetful. My son’s was much more personal and very nice (especially for seniors). My dad’s yearbooks (early 40’s) which I saved when he was about to toss them are hilarious and the most personal comments on the times.

1 Like

This was on our local news this morning; I’m not sure about their HS, but D20’s NC high school, like many others in the state, used an outside photography company for student class pictures and team athlete pictures. Pics were taken individually, then photoshopped together for a team pic. There was one assigned picture day, one make up day; if you missed it, you weren’t in the team picture. Her school posted several reminders on their website. Because there was a contract, no outside team photos or student class photos were allowed. I feel bad for them, but this could be a situation like D20’s school.

2 Likes