Dissecting a cadaver in nursing?

Do students who want to become a registered nurse have to dissect a cadaver?
(Especially those in UCI, UCLA, and the CSU’s?)

I don’t know the answer. However, I’d guess the cadavers would mainly be used by med students. There are very sophisticated simulation labs at many colleges.

I checked with my D who is a freshman nursing student at SDSU. She is looking forward to cadaver dissection in 2nd semester of her first year in Anatomy class.

http://cbubanner.com/2018/09/26/nursing-students-train-with-virtual-cadavers/

@Banker1 I’m sorry, but what D? daughter?

@Charliesch thank you!

Yes @kookieeejar she’s a current freshman nursing student.

I’m going to say for most, probably not. Nurses take a general anatomy class, not a medical level gross anatomy, and a cadaver lab just isn’t necessary. At a school with a medical college, you may be more likely to find that opportunity. FWIW, my D did take a cadaver lab class, but it wasn’t part of the nursing curriculum.

some nursing schools do - they will brag about it if so. Iirc, Pitt and Messiah mentioned it.

So far just a cat…

I’ll provide a quick update as well. D’s experience at SDSU Anatomy so far is that while cadavers are used for teaching and on exams, there has been no dissection of cadavers. The students are asked to identify and/or answer questions with regard to marked areas of the cadaver for their exams.