Do Associate Directors / Undergraduate Admission Officers commonly forward an email directly to a singular highschooler?

The other day, I got an email from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute about confirming contact information with their university specifically, which in the original email mentioned doing it in order to get access to a college tool that they offer. I hadn’t really taken a look at it considering I thought it was just another advertisement most colleges send, but a few hours ago, there was a forwarded message from the original that I received. I’ll copy and paste it here:

Hi, Hayden!

Just a quick note to be sure you saw our Admissions Director’s email below about confirming your contact information. Your academic performance in high school has captured our attention–and we want to make sure we can reach you.

Thanks!

Ulysses deArmas
Associate Director, Undergraduate Admissions

Is this just another spam email that I shouldn’t pay much attention to, or should I focus on it more?

If you are interested, it’s fine. If not, then spam.

Make sure you verify it’s real and not spam phishing. You can call to verify it’s a legit email.

You needn’t add a school just because they are spamming you, which this likely is.

2 Likes

It’s marketing. If you’re interested in the school, you can go directly to their admissions website and check some boxes to indicate that you want more information (which demonstrates interest for schools that gauge that sort of thing). But an email like this is not really personal – it’s intended to spark interest. You’ll get dozens of them. Do with them what you will.

1 Like

Some schools contact you directly. One school emailed my daughter directly after meeting her at a college fair. After we visited she received a handwritten postcard, text, and phone call. lol

1 Like

I wouldn’t consider it spam but it is an often used marketing tool.

1 Like

@HaydenYork, If your username is your real name, I would urge you to change it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.