Do I have any chance with these grades for ~t30s and up + ED, and can I get rescinded off a low B and low A's mid year?

Huge downward trend.

I know its really bad, some extenuating circumstances revolving my cousins death during junior year, which was the year with the big fall, which I will mention but doesn’t disregard poor performance(asian male in stem at competitive east coast hs btw)
I’ve already applied to all my schools except for 1-2 RDs so this is just praying I won’t screw myself over

UW:3.91 (Pre-Jr year 4.0) (expected to drop senior year to 3.90)

W:5.18 (Pre-Jr year 5.2) (expected to drop senior year to smth 5.0+ but less than current cuz harder classes + less classes in general)

35 act

Rank = ~12% (only percentiles reported for sub top 10%) (pre-jr year top 5% 30/580)

Grades:

8th:

Health = 98

Honors Algebra 1: Semester 1 - 97 Semester 2 - 95

French 1: Semester 1 - 91 Semester 2 - 93

9th :

AP Human: Semester 1 - 95 Semester 2 - 95

Honors GT Program(English): Semester 1 - 91 Semester 2 - 97

Honors Algebra 2: Semester 1 - 100 Semester 2 - 99

Honors Geometry: Semester 1 - 98 Semester 2 - 99

Honors French 2: Semester 1 - 97 Semester 2 - 97

Honors Biology: Semester 1 - 96 Semester 2 - 99

Medical Terminology: Semester 1 - 97 Semester 2 - 98

Orchestra: Semester 1 - 98 Semester 2 - 98

10th ( worse, not by too much, mostly cuz online)

Honors Pre-Calc: Semester 1 - 93 Semester 2 - 89

Honors Computer Science Semester 1 - 100 Semester 2 - 94

Honors English 2: Semester 1 - 91 Semester 2 - 95

AP Physics 1: Semester 1 - 92 Semester 2 - 90

AP US History: Semester 1 - 96 Semester 2 - 96

AP Biology: Semester 1 - 96 Semester 2 - 97

AP Seminar Semester 1 - 98 Semester 2 - 99

Orchestra: Semester 1 - 98 Semester 2 - 97

11th(■■■■■■ myself over, worst year of my life, especially 1st semester, tons of B’s and all low A’s, dropped out of top 10% class rank, lost 4.0):

AP World History: Semester 1 - 92 Semester 2 - 96

AP Lang: Semester 1 - 92 Semester 2 - 96

AP Calc BC: Semester 1 - 83 Semester 2: 95

AP Statistics: Semester 1 - 80 Semester 2 - 82

AP Research: Semester 1 - 88 Semester 2 - 98

AP Physics 2: Semester 1 - 90 Semester 2 - 94

AP Computer Science: Semester 1 - 92 Semester 2 - 94

Pathophysiology: Semester 1 - 90 Semester 2 - 94

12th sem 1 Projected(Currently in q1, Semester 1 reported in midyear reports) super LOW A’s + B in AP Chem:

AP Chem: 80(Hopefully atp worst class ever, worst case scenario would be a C)

AP Lit: 91

AP Economics: 91

Honors Research: 98

AP environmental: 90

Clinical Laboratory Science: 90 (hurts gpa as much as ap chem cuz weighted low cuz not ap)

I ED’d Hopkins, but covid burnout + Extenuating circumstances + poor performance ruined my academics ( in the context of top 20 schools, I understand that my grades are not that poor in general but I’m not proud of them in the slightest) I feel like my ecs (Heavy research, multiple internships, advocacy involvement, leadership, shadowing etc.) +essays are fine but with such poor academics idek, they are def the worst part of my app, only test scores are the decent parts in my stats section of the application

Average GPA of admits at Hopkins was 3.92, so 3.9 is pretty much right there. 35 ACT is also in line. Still a reach, but you gave yourself your best shot by going ED.

There are plenty of “T-30” colleges which would accepted you. Some would be reaches, but some of these colleges accept 30%+ of applicants like you who apply, depending on major.

It also depends on what your definition of “T-30” happens to be. Some people are unwilling to add public universities into that category (except, maybe, Berkeley), and populate this category by the private colleges with the lowest acceptance rates, others will populate it by reputation in different fields, others by one of the assorted ranking systems, and some people have different factors for ranking than any of these.

What is your intended major?

Someone with better stats than you will be rejected at Hopkins & someone with lesser stats than you will be accepted. You are a contender and will be in the mix for legitimate consideration. That is all you can ask for and you are at that level.

5 Likes

Your grades are actually pretty good. JHU is a reach.

There is a lesson to be learned here: Life is a marathon, not a sprint. For all of us there is a limit regarding how much we can get done. There is a limit on how many tough classes that we can take at once.

Also, stuff happens that can distract a student. As one example, I am aware of some cases of a university student having a bad breakup with a boyfriend or girlfriend in the middle of a semester. This can make it tough. One of the very strongest students that I have ever known happened to be in university during COVID. She kept it together (lost a few + signs after her A’s), but she has told me a couple of times that it was very tough. Stuff happens.

We each need to figure out what is the right pace for us. We each need to figure out how much we can take on at a time.

To me it looks like you are capable of doing very well in life. No one is capable of doing everything all at once.

Some universities will look at mid term grades senior year. Some will not. You should be prepared in case either JHU or another university gets back to you and asks to see your mid term grades. They might for example wonder whether your slight downturn will continue, or if you will pull your grades back up for the current semester.

Good luck with this. I expect that you will do well in university, but I cannot predict whether this will be at JHU or somewhere else.

1 Like

Looks familiar.

Upon registering for this site, all users acknowledge and agree to abide by Terms of Service. I am closing this thread because this account does not comply. Feel free to repost under your original account.

Multiple accounts are not allowed. Thank you for your understanding.