Do UC's consider/look at class rank?

Do the UC schools look at your class rank? Do you have to submit it?

Class rank as determined by your high school is not considered.

However, a correlate to class rank, ELC status, is visible and presumably considered during admissions readings. ELC status is determined by your UC-recalculated GPA being above the top 9% threshold of reranked UC-recalculated GPAs from a recent past year at your high school. ELC status also means that you may be admitted to UC Merced if you are not admitted to any UC campus you explicitly applied to.

Okay. Thank you very much.

I have it on good authority–or at least that what I was told 3 years ago at a meeting–that 3 of the most selective UC campuses rely on ELC to the extent that NOT being in the top 9% of your high school pretty much guarantees you WON’T get in. So if you go to a high school that is extraordinarily competitive and every year nearly 10% of the class has never even gotten an A minus, much less a B, and have 1500+SATs, your stellar SATs and a single B in an AP class will likely land you out of the top 9% and out of consideration. If the AP classes offered didn’t match up with your schedule and your course load was below the capped number ef honors/AP one year, you will drop even lower in that ranking system. Even if you have exhibited excellence in an extracurricular activity. Your essay? If it is so bad it draws negative attention to itself, it might hurt you, If you make the initial cut and you are in a pool that is being scrutinized further, it might become important, but if you are not in the top 9%, your essay may never really be seen. It’s not that being ELC will get you into a top school, it’s that not being ELC will keep you out. That said, the mid-range UCs do a more (in my opinion) thorough review overall. You may get rejected at the top UC campuses that have a 12% admit rate and then offered a Regent’s fellowship at the mid range ones that have a 20% admit rate. That’s still selective. So being at the top of that group is impressive. So impressive you’d think there would be overlap between the top of the middle and the bottom of the top. And if you look at your GPA and test scores, you probably are well into the top quartile of admitted students at the reach UC campuses. Because once again, if you’re not in the top 9% of your school, you’re essentially being triaged. There are exceptions. Or you may get waitlisted. But despite rumors to the rumors to the contrary, a major explanation for the kids with something like a 1560SAT and the 4.3GPA with 5s on all the APs getting rejected at UCLA and UCB is not being ELC. You can think otherwise, but that’s what the horse’s mouth told me.

Interesting about ELC relative to classmates at a school that doesn’t provide class rank. Is there a way to see the top 9% within a school…maybe via Naviance? I would be curious to find out before my D19 even begins the application process this coming Fall.

The more posts I read about local ELC, the more concerned I’m becoming for my D19. She has taken more dual enrollment college classes than AP high school classes. We’re in state CA and all dual enrollment but two were UC a-g approved. The last two were taken over the summer at a respected, out of state college that do not appear on the UC a-g list. Her peers at this competitive high school take loads of AP classes. It would be unfortunate if she is immediately disqualified from admissions to some UC schools because her GPA didn’t make the local ELC due to dual enrollment versus AP weighted calculations. Anyone out there accepted to top tier UC schools with more dual enrollment courses than AP from a competitive CA high school? How about anyone accepted to a top tier UC without qualifying for local ELC?

@nextone1: My younger son was ELC eligible by the statewide path and not local. He got into the UC’s along with my niece whom was eligible also statewide not local… ELC is only one part of the 14 areas of the UC application review and far from their main emphasis.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/admissions-index/index.html

@nextone1: Here is a list by campus on how they review UC applications. Class rank is considered by not high up on the list of review criteria.

• BERKELEY

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Important: Extracurricular activities, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Considered: Character/personal qualities, First generation college student, State residency
  • Note: Thorough review of academic performance; likely contribution to intellectual and cultural vitality of the campus; diversity in personal background and experience; demonstrated qualities in leadership, motivation, concern for others and community; non-academic achievement in the performing arts, athletics or employment; demonstrated interest in major.
  • LOR's by invitation only as of 2017

• DAVIS

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work
  • Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence, State residency, Work experience
  • Note: Scholastic achievement most important, followed by school and community activities, academic interests, special circumstances, special achievements and awards

• IRVINE

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Extracurricular activities, Level of applicant's interest, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Important: Character/personal qualities, Class rank
  • Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence, State residency
  • Note: Demonstrated record of academic preparation, educational engagement, talent and skills important.

• LOS ANGELES

• Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence
  • Note: GPA, test scores, course work, number of and performance in honors and AP courses most important. Essay considered. Strong senior program important. Extracurricular activities, honors and awards also reviewed.
  • MERCED
  •   Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores

•   Important: Class rank, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability

•   Considered: Character/personal qualities, First generation college student, Geographical residence, Level of applicant's interest, Recommendations, State residency, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Note: Academic record and test scores determine eligibility.

• RIVERSIDE
  •   Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores

•   Considered: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, State residency, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Note: A fixed weight point system comprehensive review model that culminates in an Academic Index Score to determine admission for incoming freshmen.

• SAN DIEGO

•   Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, State residency, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Note: High school course pattern, GPA, essay and test scores most important. Admission for out-of-state applicants more selective than for residents.

• SANTA BARBARA

•   Considered: Character/personal qualities, Class rank, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, Level of applicant's interest, State residency, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Note: Eligibility established by high school GPA, course requirement, and SAT scores. Special consideration for disadvantaged students.

• SANTA CRUZ
  •   Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores, State residency

•   Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, Geographical residence, Talent/ability

•   Considered: Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Note: Test scores, GPA in required subjects most important. Personal statement very important.

Thank you, gumbymom, for this helpful information! We were alarmed reading earlier posts. We didn’t want to have ELC local become a possible showstopper.

One of my kid’s mentors mentioned something similar to what @profmom0814 mentioned - he went to a very prestigious private school in San Jose and even though he had a 4.2 UC GPA / 2300 SAT with super essays and ECs, he (supposedly) didn’t get into UCB L&S (English) because he wasn’t in the top 10% in his class. Went to Davis instead.